Odyssey vibration problems - advice please

Pipkins

We have booked a V1 cabin number 509 on Sojourn - the second sailing, Dover to Dover on the 20th June. Reading postings about the vibration problem on Odyssey is worrying, just in case this problem is duplicated on Sojourn. Which areas of the ship are especially prone? This is taking the shine off the trip a little, and we are wondering if we should change back to one of the triplets...

We just got off the Odyssey in LA. Vibration was not an issue for us. On a couple of occasions we felt some in certain areas of the Square and once or twice in the Observation Lounge. Nothing major at all.

Apparently they've pretty much solved the vibration problem. There may be some who were/are bothered by vibration but we were not. No one we socialized with mentioned it either.

We just loved our first cruise on Seabourn.:)

I am on the Odyssey now and even with all the rough weather we have been experiencing I have yet to feel a lot of vibration. There is none in our suite though I can't speak for all suites obviously. Unless things deteriorate I wouldn't worry about it, especially on the Sojourn.

Hi mate,

the vibrations I noticed were generally in the sky bar and just in front of the Restaurant on level 3 I think.

In regards to the suites, I experienced nothing.

One thing for sure, the Sojourn after other guests raised the vibrations on Odyssey, will be as quiet as a mouse as they are listening to concerns expressed.

Take care and enjoy your cruise.

Alfa

According to my Sailor Boy, who knows quite alot about the construction of large ships it is not possible to tell if the Sojourn will have the same problem. He says that until the engines are actually installed on the new ship you cannot predict whether there will be a problem.

Once again I would personally state that on this our third Odyssey cruise we have experienced little or no vibration except at the rear of Seabourn Square and then in a very minor way that does not impinge on one's enjoyment of the area.

I appreciate that there are some suites in the forward section of the ship have a problem but unless you are in one of these suites you would not realise there was a problem with vibration at all. I have not heard anybody on the World Cruise complaining of vibration in their suite.

Shelagh

Happy to hear from you! I'm sure you and Larry are having a grand time on the Odyssey! In Hawaii today?

I agree with you as to the vibration ~~other than the middle stools at the Deck 9 Sky Bar I never noticed any vibration on the TA Odys. Crossing. My friends that were in suite 810 did suffer from vibration ~~why they didn't ask Vitor to move them is a mystery to me. *there were open suites available.

Have a wonderful time ~~please tell Miss A I miss her but we'll talk soon!

Martita B.

Shelagh

Happy to hear from you! I'm sure you and Larry are having a grand time on the Odyssey! In Hawaii today?

I agree with you as to the vibration ~~other than the middle stools at the Deck 9 Sky Bar I never noticed any vibration on the TA Odys. Crossing. My friends that were in suite 810 did suffer from vibration ~~why they didn't ask Vitor to move them is a mystery to me. *there were open suites available.

Have a wonderful time ~~please tell Miss A I miss her but we'll talk soon!

Martita B.

We're having a wonderful time thank you Martha. We are so lucky to be on board this wonderful ship. We had three terrific days in Hawaii and are now en route to Christmas Island. Will of course say hello to Miss A when I next see her.

Shelagh

• 10 months later...

We were recently on the Odyssey (PH1015), and there was a lot of noise from the elevators AND some really wierd banging off and on from who knows what - especially in challenging seas! This was prior to the dry dock. Ours was the first suite to the left of the Sky Bar. We still thought it was an amazing cabin and might book there again, but there were a lot of wierd noises going on!

Our cabin on the Sojourn was fairly close to the elevator but we had no noise or vibration problems. We heard no noise from the plumbing system or other cabins. There were some creaking sounds when the ship was rocking. I managed to stop one with a strategically placed tissue, but couldn't block one or two others. All ships have some creaking sounds so we just take it as part of the shipboard experience.

creaking I can take,,but vibration something else,,,felt like being on vibrating bed with quarters put in ,,and really bad on "throne" in bathroom....so now looking forward to Sojourn in May and Norway.....cruises every 5 mos..not bad....right???

How about the library,,,many non fiction books??

Also, disembarkation,,,is it lengthy,??????,,,we just stood in line for 1 hr.to get off last ship,,,and this next one in Copenhagen has tight flight scedule....

Also, disembarkation,,,is it lengthy,??????,,,we just stood in line for 1 hr.to get off last ship,,,and this next one in Copenhagen has tight flight scedule....

Disembarkation on the larger ships is also handled quickly and efficiently. About 5 days before disembarking, you will receive from the Shore Excursions Manager a disembarkation information form. Fill it out and simply request to be in the first disembarkation group (your flight departure time will ensure that will happen) off the ship. You will then receive colored luggage tags so the bags for each disembarkation group will be together in one area of the terminal; there are also early breakfast options to get you on your way.

they did as you mentioned,,but then it was a free for all,,,,said "all luggage must get off and clear customs" before they let us off, much later than our tags said...and after everyone just started lining up due to delays...so wanted to avoid that hassle...glad Sojourn does better...

and about Library???many nonfiction??:)

Alexandra Cruiser,

It is pretty much international standard to have all luggage offloaded from the ship to the customs hall before any passengers or crew are allowed to disembark the ship. Generally you are required to collect your bag and either drag it through customs yourself or use an available porter to do it for you. Seabourn is very efficient in how they stage the luggage near the hatches for offloading in that it is done very quickly even on the larger ships. As long as you arrive at Copenhagen on time (not delayed due to rough weather, etc.) you should be fine with your air connection.

There are passengers who enjoy reading onboard; unfortunately, I am not one of them. :o Based on my cursory scan of the library shelves, I would say that most of the books are fiction. Perhaps if you started a new thread and posted your question there, some Seabourn Bookworms will respond and give you a more definitive answer to your question about non-fiction books. :)

Archived