Chair Hog Pole

rjg41

Are you satisfied with how RCCL handles people saving chairs in the pool area?  

206 members have voted

1. 1. Are you satisfied with how RCCL handles people saving chairs in the pool area?

• Very satisfied
    • Somewhat satisfied
    • Neither satisfied nor dissatisfied
    • Somewhat dissatisfied
    • Very satisfied
    • Answer based on use of Pool/Deck Patrol

Much has been said about "Chair Hogs". For the purpose of this poll a chair hog is a person who reserves a chair(s) on deck with NO intent of returning for hours.

The results of this pole will be forwarded to the cruise line. This same pole will be posted on other cruise line boards.

PLEASE NOTE THAT IF YOUR ANSWER IS BASED ON THE FACT THAT A POOL/DECK PATROL TO ALSO CHECK THE LAST BOX.

Thank you.

Having never cruised on this line, I have no clue what the policy is.

I would assume when someone leaves their chair for more than a bathroom break or drink or even a dip in the pool that unless they have other members of their party still in chairs around, they need to take their belongings and let someone else use it. Apparently this is not the case, right?

Hi,

Okay, I am not a chair hog but I have had my towel and personal items removed from my chair while I was in the pool with my son. Are some people a little overkill and just go looking for chair hogs? Once I was took my son to the bathroom for no more than 5 minutes and found all of my personal belongings missing. Included in my missing items was my towel, sandals and my sons swimmy arm bands. We had 2 days at sea and my son cried like crazy because he wouldn't go in the pool without them (even with me taking him). Cruise personell told me they must have been thrown away because they were never turned in to anyone.

Please if you suspect a chair hog, just move their stuff to the floor near the chair so that they don't lose anything.

Once I was took my son to the bathroom for no more than 5 minutes and found all of my personal belongings missing.

This is exactly what I am talking about. People become so over-zealous trying to track down so-called chair hogs that they become the menace themselves. I can't imagine what was going through someone's head as they got rid of a pair of children's swim bands

Hi,

Okay, I am not a chair hog but I have had my towel and personal items removed from my chair while I was in the pool with my son. Are some people a little overkill and just go looking for chair hogs? Once I was took my son to the bathroom for no more than 5 minutes and found all of my personal belongings missing. Included in my missing items was my towel, sandals and my sons swimmy arm bands. We had 2 days at sea and my son cried like crazy because he wouldn't go in the pool without them (even with me taking him). Cruise personell told me they must have been thrown away because they were never turned in to anyone.

Please if you suspect a chair hog, just move their stuff to the floor near the chair so that they don't lose anything.

Did you ask the person sitting in your chair where the items went?

Did you ask the person sitting in your chair where the items went?

I did ask and of course they just looked at me dumbly and said there was nothing when they sat down.

A similar thing happened to me when I was in Mexico (not on a cruise, no kids with us)... We were swimming in the ocean and when we (wife and I) went to our chairs all of our stuff was missing and 2 women were sitting in our chairs. Now, mind you, there were empty chairs everywhere. Even the chairs next to ours were empty. We asked about our stuff and one woman said, "Well, we're from Texas and we say beat your feet lose your seat." She then pointed to our stuff half buried in the sand next to them (sunglasses, sandals and T-Shirts). Anyhow, I couldn't help myself and I said, "Well we are from boston and we say get *&($ out of our chairs and put kindly neaten our things they way they were before we bury you in the sand" I was so angry! Anyhow the entire thing seems funny now. Do you think I was too hard on them? I don't know.

I must say that our last trip on Mariner was fine. There always seemed to be plenty of chairs by the pool, so no reason to worry about chair hogs.

learn to spell.

Grow up! What the heck is 'creditability' ??

This is exactly what I am talking about. People become so over-zealous trying to track down so-called chair hogs that they become the menace themselves. I can't imagine what was going through someone's head as they got rid of a pair of children's swim bands

I, too, agree that I hate people who are LOOKING to have a bad time or who are DESPERATELY trying to find a reason to complain. "Ohh! My waiter forget to refill my drink- I'm not tipping him now!! " or "I'm throwing this towel overboard! These people haven't sat in their chairs for at least 5 minutues and 20 seconds! They are chair hoggin!" Then they come on this website and stir up more bottom feeding complainers!

I personally have never had a big problem with chair hogging. I realize I just have to get up to the pool deck early to get my chair(s). I DO leave my chair to use the restroom or to jump in the pool or to get some food. When I'm done with the chair, I gather my things and leave. Soooo sorry for the folks who arrive at noon and have no chair. Learn the tricks of the trade.

Yes the women actually got up and picked up our stuff and put it back on the chair. They left without saying another word and didn't look at us at all when they were picking up our stuff. I think they were used to people just giving them their way since they were outspoken Texans. Perhaps they never met us city folk as they appeared quite shocked. That was one vacation to remember, from the Texans on the beach to the nude Europeans to the "Thong Man"...but that's another story :)

It seems to me that the only people who know the term chair hog are those that frequent these boards and others. Most of the people on the ship seem to deal with the pool chairs fairly well. It is in this little world that most of you get worked up over something this trivial.

Dave,

You do have a point. I haven't been so worked up about so many things when going on vacation before. Since I found this board before my last cruise (Sept 04) I have stressed out more than ever. Now I worry about what to wear at dinner, how much to tip, whether my kids will bother people, hurricanes, etc. etc. etc. But it is actually worth it because I have learned a lot and some of the threads are amusing.

from my experience, I think RCI does a much better job than NCL (those are the only two lines I've used) I was on VOS to Alaska in August and with extremely high temperatures, many people were using the pools. I understand people getting up and leaving things while they go in the pools or to get drinks/bathroom/etc. If that's when things are taken, then no I don't agree. But, I saw the pool crew come by on several occassions and take things away after they saw no one was claiming them or the chairs. I say, hooray for them. I think it's very selfish to claim a chair and expect to have it for the whole day. Every time I've been on NCL, I would see people going to breakfast and dropping things on chairs to save spaces. I find that so rude. There are other people on the ship that would like to use those chairs as you are dining, so why not let them. I'm not the type of person that would move someone elses things, but I would ask an employee to help me find a seat, and they do. Why should I have to stand when there are plenty of chairs just holding towels or books?

Dave,

You do have a point. I haven't been so worked up about so many things when going on vacation before. Since I found this board before my last cruise (Sept 04) I have stressed out more than ever. Now I worry about what to wear at dinner, how much to tip, whether my kids will bother people, hurricanes, etc. etc. etc. But it is actually worth it because I have learned a lot and some of the threads are amusing.

Frayedend

Don't stress. You sound quite normal to me. It is only concerned parents that speak as you do.

The careless parents just shrug their shoulders ... (who cares)attitude.

I am currently stressed myself right now trying to book a cruise that does not have a bunch of kids/babies on it ....(now how stressed is that?) ;)

ON our last rccl cruise a very funny thing happened. (funny now not so funny then) Dh was sitting in his chair minding his own business reading his book and one of the pool attentants picked up things from two chairs next to him. (I was in the little girl's room so I didn't see it.) Well two people came and sat in the chairs. Not too long later two ladies came back saw two people sitting in their chairs and came up to my husband and started yelling at him about moving their things. He's a kind soul and tries to explain what happened well they didn't want to hear any explanation. Finally the pool attentant came up and tried also to tell them. They mumbled something and left in a huff. Leaving everyone on the scene looking at each other. Poor DH was not happy about the situation, but the pool attentant assured him all would be well. They had left their towels an hour or so ago and the pool attentant said something about a time limit and he was just doing his job. When I returned he told me about it and I thought is was very funny. (Didn't laugh at the time as DH wasn't in any mood to hear me laugh.

Just came back from NCL Sun. Many chair hogs on board but just to spite them I found two lounge chairs and squeezed them in in front of the stage. Well guess who had front row seats when the band returned? And as the ship headed east with it's stern to the west guess who had the sun the longest? Hay when you get lemons just make a great batch of Lemonade!!!!!!!!!!!

Archived