Vaccinations for Mexican Riviera

allboyz

My DH and I will be on Mariner on Nov. 14. RCCI directs you to the CDC website where there are recommendations but not requirements for our cruise destinations. We will be going on excusions at each port. My questions is, do most cruisers get these (optional) vaccines or not?:rolleyes:

countdown.pl?image=Beach-9&name=&date=11-14-2010&text=20th Anniversary Cruise&ship=Mariner of the Seas

We didn't get vaccinations for our Mex Riv cruise, but one interesting thing is that I was not able to donate blood for one year afterwards because we had gone up into the rainforest on one excursion. I don't know what they were afraid I might have come into contact with....they just said "Uh oh, you're not eligible to give for one year."

Thank you all for your replies. I had brought this up with my health care provider and he suggested I check with the CDC also. I have to believe with as many cruisers that travel down to Mexico each week that if it is an issue I would hear about it here. For now, I will just keep an eye open for any major outbreaks.

countdown.pl?image=Beach-9&name=&date=11-14-2010&text=20th Anniversary Cruise&ship=Mariner of the Seas

If you are spending days and weeks in the "outback" of any 3rd world country, vaccinations are needed.

For cruise passengers who will be in fairly "civilized" areas for a few hours, no vaccinations are required. You will not be in a "high risk" position for disease.

I have lived and worked in many cities throughout Mexico and I have never received a vaccination for travel there. I did get sick once, however, but that was food poisoning at a Denny's in Acapulco. The eggs were runny. I knew I shouldn't have eaten them. :o

If you are spending days and weeks in the "outback" of any 3rd world country, vaccinations are needed.

For cruise passengers who will be in fairly "civilized" areas for a few hours, no vaccinations are required. You will not be in a "high risk" position for disease.

Mexico is not a third world country. ;)

We didn't get vaccinations for our Mex Riv cruise, but one interesting thing is that I was not able to donate blood for one year afterwards because we had gone up into the rainforest on one excursion. I don't know what they were afraid I might have come into contact with....they just said "Uh oh, you're not eligible to give for one year."

The same thing happened to us. We went horseback riding and when I went to donate blood (it was a fundraiser for a colleague's injured daughter) They asked if I had been on vacation outside of the US and I said yes and they asked if I had been to an agricultural area on the Yucatan and of course I said yes, a horse ranch. The person from the blood bank said that there's a high incidence of Malaria and Hepatitis C there. She laughed and said bet your travel agent left that part out. I said yes but when my number's up I'm goona die from something. I was more upset that I could not donate blood for that poor girl.

The same thing happened to us. We went horseback riding and when I went to donate blood (it was a fundraiser for a colleague's injured daughter) They asked if I had been on vacation outside of the US and I said yes and they asked if I had been to an agricultural area on the Yucatan and of course I said yes, a horse ranch. The person from the blood bank said that there's a high incidence of Malaria and Hepatitis C there. She laughed and said bet your travel agent left that part out. I said yes but when my number's up I'm goona die from something. I was more upset that I could not donate blood for that poor girl.

Someone here told me I can't donate for a year because I was just in Belize for five hours. That sucks because I walked right past two blood drives recently!

Archived