Able Body Booking HC Cabins

xxoocruiser

This stuff just irks me, as my family has had to deal with disabilities all our lives. And now, that my DH is getting more infirm, this stuff just really chaps my behind. But the galling part is, these people always pull every card out of the book to try and cover their behinds of any responsibility. Don't you just love it when they say things like "why don't you HC people try and change the cruise line's policies"? Just dumb comments when they know they're in the wrong.

We are just back from two weeks on the Grand, we had an H/C balcony on Baja, DW has MS and uses a walker of a wheelchair plus needs the bars and so forth in the bathroom. The people in the two Caribe deck cabins below us were no more H/C then the man in the moon. In fact with the folks immediately below us .... it was the centre for the happy hour drinks and nothing more. I happend to walk back from the pools along Aloha deck and there were not less than 3 wheelchairs or walker in the hall beside ordinary cabins. The other little gem is our TA told me that when he tried to book us on an up coming Princess cruise all H/C cabins were booked but upon closer scrutiny he found that Princess had just blanked them out for tripple bookings.....:eek: We have just book a cruise with HAL and at least they have you fill out a form.

This was my experience talking to Princess and asking to book 3 cabins, needing one of them to be HC. She offered me 3 in a row in Dolphin deck. Two of those were HC

When, I pointed that out to her (that I only needed 1 HC), Her answer was that this way we could all be toghether'

Of course I declined --someone will need that HC

The people in the two Caribe deck cabins below us were no more H/C then the man in the moon.

In defense -this kind of statement erks me. No one knows what someone elses health issues are. It could be a heart condition that enables the person to walk very far, Cancer, etc. Just because the person does not have a wheelchair or a walker does not mean they are not disabled. I was in Wal-mart with my friend when a lady behind us said "move out of the way gimpy". I turned around and said "What?" the lady said "well obviously her condition is not life threatening?" All I could say is "Are you her Doctor? My friend had a brain tumor but could still walk - just slowly - and passed away recently. So please, do not make observations about people if you don't know their medical problem. I do agree whole heartly that you should not book a HC room unless you need it.

I guess this gets into the debate [again] if people without wheelchairs/scooters need the HC cabins at all.

Someone who is a slow walker - due to an "invisible" disability - might be better off in a regular cabin close to the elevators.

With HAL, many of the HC cabins are all the way forward, a hike to the elevators.

When DH was able to walk with a walker, he did not take a HC cabin.

It was only when he needed a power wheelchair that he booked a HC cabin for the extra maneuvering room and the lack of a step into the bathroom and shower.

However, he did use a HC parking spot while using a walker or cane, as he could not walk long distances.

I guess this gets into the debate [again] if people without wheelchairs/scooters need the HC cabins at all.

Someone who is a slow walker - due to an "invisible" disability - might be better off in a regular cabin close to the elevators.

With HAL, many of the HC cabins are all the way forward, a hike to the elevators.

It was only when he needed a power wheelchair that he booked a HC cabin for the extra maneuvering room and the lack of a step into the bathroom and shower.

However, he did use a HC parking spot while using a walker or cane, as he could not walk long distances.

I must agree. I believe you should really only book an accessible cabin if you have a mobility device.

If people can still walk without a mobility device, they can get thru the door of a regular cabin. Other than the grab bars in the bathroom I don't see how a Handicapped accessible cabin is going to help people with heart conditions, or with people who aren't able to walk long distances. On Carnival our HC cabin was also at the very front of the ship and a very long way to anyplace. When my mom still used a cane or a walker we would book regular rooms and request a shower seat. We always believed there were people in wheelchairs that needed the accessible cabins more than we did.

Sorry, don't mean to make anyone with invisible disabilities upset but it is just my opinion.

I must agree. I believe you should really only book an accessible cabin if you have a mobility device.

If people can still walk without a mobility device, they can get thru the door of a regular cabin. Other than the grab bars in the bathroom I don't see how a Handicapped accessible cabin is going to help people with heart conditions, or with people who aren't able to walk long distances. On Carnival our HC cabin was also at the very front of the ship and a very long way to anyplace. When my mom still used a cane or a walker we would book regular rooms and request a shower seat. We always believed there were people in wheelchairs that needed the accessible cabins more than we did.

Sorry, don't mean to make anyone with invisible disabilities upset but it is just my opinion.

I am not upset with your opinion, I just have to disagree a bit with you on the part if you can still walk without a mobility device then you should book a regular cabin.

I can walk without a mobility device for short distances. I do need a scooter to go great distances or a cane for moderate one. When booking this next cruise on Carnival I was forced to get a handicapped modified room. It was the only way they would let me with my scooter. My Mother and I were perfectly fine to break the scooter down and place it in the cabin of a regular room. Carnival said "NO".

Before anyone jumps on me for this as far as booking times, we just booked this cabin on January 1, 2010 for a March 7 sailing. I think there are times when it is no fault of the person with limited mobility, but of the ships policies. If Carnival was to call today and ask to move us, we would. We also had to fill out papers about the need of the room and give them the dimensions of my scooter. I also had a lady from the special needs department call and talk to me about the room. I don't need the handrails and shower seats and such. I just need room to store my scooter.

This issue will never change until the ships change their designs. If they made the doors wider, no step into the room or bathroom, and handrails in all bathrooms then I think this whole issue would clear itself up. It is really up to the ship designers as to when this will stop.

I do want to add though that those who are just booking the rooms for more space, closer to elevators and such, without actual needs are deplorable and should be made to move. They should not be allowed to have one of the few rooms just because they want it. Again though, that falls into the laps of the cruise lines to fix.

I agree with you on some points, but I don't think you can really justify reserving the HC cabins just for people in wheelchairs.

A personal example: My son (aged 30-something) has an above-knee amputation of his right leg. He walks with a prosthesis and manages well most of the time.

However, he does need a HC cabin because of his limitations in the bathroom. When not wearing his prosthesis, he cannot get up a step into the bathroom, or over a ledge into a shower. It would be too dangerous to hop!

Once in the shower, he needs the grab rails and the seat. Imagine how difficult it would be to balance on one leg (especially on a rolling ship) while trying to wash your hair or your body.

I just don't think you can generalize about who needs a HC cabin and who does not, and first appearances can be so deceptive. I am sure that someone seeing my son walking outside the cabin might think he did not need that HC cabin, but he does.

I agree with celle. You can't say that HC cabins are JUST for WC users, because there are special cases where people do need them - disability is never a blanket yes or no situation. You have to consider your own needs when deciding whether to book a HC cabin.

Perhaps the "modified accessible" cabins (who is that, HAL?) are a good solution...

Somehow I knew my comments would be misinterpreted.

Oh well, I tried ... :rolleyes: People are going to read into my comments whatever they want, and I can't control that.

Nowhere did I say that the rooms are only for people in wheelchairs/scooters.

I did say that a person with a mobility issue - slow walker - MIGHT be better off in a regular cabin located near an elevator.

And I mentioned that DH did not take a HC cabin when he was able to walk with a walker. That's just how he is -- he felt he did not require the extra floor space [which is provided for the maneuverability of a wheelchair or scooter] for his walker.

Believe me, I know there are all kinds of disabilities and I don't make blanket statements about who can book a HC cabin. I've fought the great fight on other boards with those who book the AB on the flimsiest excuses ... like being tall and needing more room.

I'm not going to battle in this arena too.

Thanks, Umbarger, for being the voice of reason as always!

Oh well, I tried ... :rolleyes: People are going to read into my comments whatever they want, and I can't control that.

I did say that a person with a mobility issue - slow walker - MIGHT be better off in a regular cabin located near an elevator.

And I mentioned that DH did not take a HC cabin when he was able to walk with a walker. That's just how he is -- he felt he did not require the extra floor space [which is provided for the maneuverability of a wheelchair or scooter] for his walker.

Believe me, I know there are all kinds of disabilities and I don't make blanket statements about who can book a HC cabin. I've fought the great fight on other boards with those who book the AB on the flimsiest excuses ... like being tall and needing more room.

You didn't say it, but Umbarger did - she said they should be for people with "mobility devices" - and I think it got confusing when celle quoted you but responded to Umbarger...I think....

Anyway, I was simply saying that I don't think whether or not someone uses a WC should determine whether or not they get an HC room. I didn't say that you made a blanket statement, only that the practice of making blanket statements isn't a good idea. How often have HC people been hurt by the ADA not fitting their specific situation? The government IS in the business of making these blanket statements, but disability is never one-size-fits-all.

Don't beat me up please. :confused: Again, It's just my opinion. :o

I just mentioned that when my mom was still able to walk with her cane or walker we would book a regular room and request a shower seat. She was unable to stand while showering because of her vertigo from her stroke. We always believed there were others that needed the adaptations in the HC cabin more than we did.

That was.....just us.

Perhaps my opinion is skewed because of all the excuses I hear from AB thinking they are justified in booking these cabins because they are tall or over 50. :eek:

As I said before I never meant to upset people with invisible disabilities. I'm sorry if my opinion did that.

No, you didn't say it and (as Etoile pointed out) I was responding to Umberger as well as you. I'm sorry if I made it confusing for everyone. I don't want to go into battle with anyone.

I do understand how wearying it gets, trying to fight "the great fight". I've fought many times for my son's rights and I have seen how downright nasty people can be when they think he is not entitled to something like a HC parking space.

He's toughened up and is very independent now, but 10 years ago, when he had just lost his leg, it was hard for him to deal with. Nowadays, he pulls up his trouser leg to show his prosthesis and says something like,"You want my parking space? Would you like my tin leg, too?"

My son has one of those invisible disabilities. cystic fibrosis which is chronic, Life-threatening and fatal. He als o has juvenile rhematoid arhritis. He can walk some, but is prone to fatigue and idfficulty breathing and flare-up from the arthritis in his feet, ankles and knees and endurance near kills him! So he has a scooter for fatique, endurance and flare-ups. Should he not be entitled to an accessible room to get his scooter in and out because he doesn't need it all the time?

Trying to point out you never know what is behind the person!!!

Charleyann

There are a lot of people with disabilities who do not use mobility devices, who can benefit from the accessible features of a handicap-accessible cabin. Not having to step over the threshhold into the bathroom is a huge one. Being assured of a shower, having extra handrails, having the security of an emergency cord, all are things that anyone with mobility problems, balance problems, seizure disorders, etc., would find helpful, even necessary.

I also disagree that "only people with mobility devices" should be able to book such a cabin. I DO think the cruise lines need to find a way (and yes, even with the laws, there are acceptable ways!) to determine that the person booking the HC cabin has a real NEED for that cabin, and isn't just booking out of convenience or any of the other lame reasons we encounter all the time.

UppityCats,

You are so right!

It is up to the cruiselines to put an end to all this fighting by making sure that those who need those cabins, get them and those who don't can't have them until say 1 or 2 months before sailing. I also think that if after those cabins are held open for those who need it until the very last and no one needs it, then it should be opened for anyone to use. It wouldn't be fair to the cruiseline either to sail with empty rooms when there are bodies they can put in them.

We all just need to remember that we need to unite and fight the correct people (cruiselines) to come to a solution to this problem. It does no good fighting between ourselves.

UppityCats,

You are so right!

It is up to the cruiselines to put an end to all this fighting by making sure that those who need those cabins, get them and those who don't can't have them until say 1 or 2 months before sailing. I also think that if after those cabins are held open for those who need it until the very last and no one needs it, then it should be opened for anyone to use. It wouldn't be fair to the cruiseline either to sail with empty rooms when there are bodies they can put in them.

We all just need to remember that we need to unite and fight the correct people (cruiselines) to come to a solution to this problem. It does no good fighting between ourselves.

Yes, the cruise industry is a business, after all, and sailing with empty cabins hurts their bottom line..and eventually would affect all of us, with higher cruise costs. I think most of us agree here that holding the cabins until 60 days out, then releasing them, makes sense.

And yes, we should stop fighting amongst ourselves... :)

• 2 weeks later...

I believe this bears reposting to this thread as a reminder to us all: Judge not lest we be judged.

The Ramblings of a Handicapable Traveler

SHAME ON ME! I have a disability that isn’t visible to the naked eye.

SHAME ON ME! I appear "able" to the general population.

SHAME ON ME! I appear much too young to need a scooter.

SHAME ON ME! I didn't read the how to act handicapped manual.

SHAME ON ME! I have the ability to be mobile - for short distances.

SHAME ON ME! I don’t always show the pain I feel.

SHAME ON ME! I try to help myself when others do not.

SHAME ON ME! I can do something you think I shouldn’t..

SHAME ON ME! I'm having seconds and a desert.

SHAME ON ME! I appear much too jovial to be disabled.

Pfisted~~

Thank you for posting the above "Shame on Me" poem. Is this something that you personally wrote? Or do you know the author? I would like to print it out.

As someone who lives with "invisible" disabilities, so many of the lines ring true for me......

Hey, maybe I could tape it to my back on my next cruise....;).LOL.:)

i believe this bears reposting to this thread as a reminder to us all: Judge not lest we be judged.

The ramblings of a handicapable traveler

shame on me! i have a disability that isn’t visible to the naked eye.

shame on me! i appear "able" to the general population.

shame on me! i appear much too young to need a scooter.

shame on me! i didn't read the how to act handicapped manual.

shame on me! i have the ability to be mobile - for short distances.

shame on me! i don’t always show the pain i feel.

shame on me! i try to help myself when others do not.

shame on me! i can do something you think i shouldn’t..

shame on me! i'm having seconds and a desert.

shame on me! i appear much too jovial to be disabled.

shame on me! i have a disability that isn’t visible to the naked eye.

Bravo

I believe this bears reposting to this thread as a reminder to us all: Judge not lest we be judged.

The Ramblings of a Handicapable Traveler

SHAME ON ME! I appear "able" to the general population.

SHAME ON ME! I appear much too young to need a scooter.

SHAME ON ME! I didn't read the how to act handicapped manual.

SHAME ON ME! I have the ability to be mobile - for short distances.

SHAME ON ME! I don’t always show the pain I feel.

SHAME ON ME! I try to help myself when others do not.

SHAME ON ME! I can do something you think I shouldn’t..

SHAME ON ME! I'm having seconds and a desert.

SHAME ON ME! I appear much too jovial to be disabled.

3/10 of the above apply Yours Truly

Archived