When was your first cruise?

kkmonga

God I feel so old after reading these "first cruise" reports. My first was on inside cabin on the Statendam (about 2 generations ago) from New York to Bermuda in 1978. I remember it was over the Fourth of July during the gas crisis. I think gas had skyrocketed to $1 a gallon with long lines of people at the pump. You got gas on alternate days according to your license plate.

Then we had kids and could not afford to go until 23 years later. Our 25th anniversary cruise was on the Patriot to Hawaii. Now I am retired and want to do at least one cruise per year.

When planning for our honeymoon, we talked about which we would do, a cruise or a Hawaiian vacation. We decided to do Hawaii for our honeymoon, the do a cruise for our 25th anniversary. Twenty years later in February, 1999, DW's co-worker ask if we wanted to join their group for a cruise. I was hesitatant at first but agreed. It was five years early but I've never regretted it.

It was the Destiny out of Miami stopping at San Juan, St. Thomas and St. Croix. When she turned around in the basin, I already knew I was hooked. When we got back from the cruise, I immediately set up a savings account that we use for nothing but cruises. We try to do one every two years since then.

Carnival Mardi Gras in 1985. I was 11 and went with my grandparents. I remember we met up with my aunt who lived in Florida at the time and she was able to come on the ship for the afternoon. I still have vivid memories of that cruise. Took several more cruises as a child and then started up again in 2007 with my two boys.

My first cruise was on the Carnival Pride in April 2006 - Mexican Riviera cruise. We got upgraded to an aft balcony room, at the time I didn't realize how cool an upgrade it was to have the larger balcony. I have my second cruise planned for this June on the Carnival Freedom to the Western Caribbean, I can't wait!

My first cruise was for my sister's wedding on the Celebrity Zenith to Bermuda. We then waited a bit and since October 2007 have been on three more. I still have not sailed on the same ship more than once. Although, in March 2011, I will be sailing my third time with Carnival. Still a different ship.

Carnival Tropical. Must have been about 25 years ago. Long before they had computers to keep track of these things. My parents took my sister and I on a 7 night Mexican Riviera cruise on the Carnival Tropical. A year or so later we took the same ship to the same place, again. This time, I was allowed to bring my best friend! A few years later we took my first Caribbean cruise on a line called Sit-Mar. This was a more upscale cruise line. We sailed on a 10 night.

Had to wait until I was 28 to take my next cruise. A 7 night Carnival cruise to the Caribbean. Can not recall the ship name, but it was HUGE.

Out of Los Angeles, Royal Caribbean and Carnival had a 3 night trip to Baja that I began taking about 11 years ago. Royal Caribbean stopped that service a few years ago, but Carnival continues. Have done the 3 night trip about 12 times as it is an easy, quick getaway out of Los Angeles. In 2 months, my family and I are taking a 7 night cruise on Regent to Alaska. Really excited about that.

I could take more cruises if they would get the internet under control. .45 cents a minute? COME ON!

Mine was the Carnival Destiny, October 2009. My boyfriend (now fiance!) and I were on there for my 24th birthday. We went to Grand Turk, Half Moon Cay, and Nassau.

We're leaving for our next cruise in May- definitely not our last and didn't take us long to book another hehe :p. I think I'm more addicted than he is though!

My first was with my parents and brothers on the Pride out of Long Beach in 2005. In 2008 I did the same cruise for my honeymoon and we have booked the same one but on the Splendor for Dec 2011!! We are hoping to start cruising more like every other year so we can get platinum soon!!!

Our first cruise was on RCCL Sovreign of the Seas, March 13 1993.

I remember the date well as that was the first day of the "Storm of the Century"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1993_Storm_of_the_Century

We originally planned on flying in the same day and had we waited we would have missed the ship.

1/3 of the passengers never made it and many who did so without their clothes as the planes were in such a hurry to get off the ground they left without luggage.

DW and I sat at a table for eight with three other couples. One couple had no clothes except what was on their backs. Instantly, there was a "I have things that will fit you." from everyone there.

The ship offered people without luggage a $100 credit for the ship stores and the luggage joined them at the 2nd port we stopped in.

It was a tremendous introduction to the best part of cruising. The ship was great. Food terrific and most of all the fellow travelers were amazing.

Since then we have done 8 or 9 cruises and getting ready for our 2nd Carnival cruise three weeks from today.

Jim

We sailed on Dolphin in January 1992 on a 3 night out of Miami and we got hooked. We thought that was the best vacation ever. We are headed on our 13th cruise this year in July (2nd one for 2010!!!!!)

Archived