Has anyone ever used the laundry service on RCL?

Gator0178

We have used the dry cleaning, laundry and pressing almost every trip.

I usually wash DH's shirts and then send them all out to be pressed the first night, makes packing sooooo much easier. there pressing is really good and for his pants the creases stay in even after I wash them at home a couple of times. I have had to have a couple things washed as well, they use quite Hot water so I wouldn't use it for something more delicate.

Last time we used the 'bag of laundry' just to bring home clean undies and socks, but do watch this as I {the ultimate frugal one:p} added up the cost of what I put in the bag and it would have been cheaper to just use the regular wash sheet; not by much, couple dollars, I think. And I crammed that bag full as I could.;)

Definitely would Highly recommend their service, how wants to Iron and do Laundry while on vacation:confused: It's my vacation, Too!!!

Kar

I've also been very satisfied with the laundry service on RCI. One caveat though...don't include any of your bras with the "bag special". I did that last time (by mistake) and it came back in pieces.

We just got off the Explorer the other day. We used the laundry a few times. Great service. Also used the bag special and also had a 5.00 off coupon. We have already agreed to take a lot less the next cruise and just use the laundry. Well worth the price.

I have used the Dry cleaning services. Came out fairly good except the creased everything. From sleeves on shirts, cargo shorts, and the worst of all on my Sport Jacket. I can live with all except on the Sport Jacket as I could not get the crease out and it is permanant.

Welcome to the boards! Lovely to see another Brit on board!

Unfortunately not. It's not a bag that's left in the cabin for use whenever.... the bag will appear via your room steward on a day/days nominated by the laundry service. We have a pre cruise tour and days before that to contend with too.....

Thanks for the welcome! I'm so glad i found Cruise Critic, its answered so many questions for me. Being a 'first timer' and coming from the UK, i can use all the help i can get!

I have stopped taking our cruise wear to the dry cleaners before the cruise. DH always has his dinner jacket and suit pressed on board, and I now have my formal little black dress cleaned and pressed on board.

I realized that the prices are similar to land and I dont have to shlep them back and forth. The cabin steward picks them up and they are delivered to your cabin.

I trust the cruise ship laundry just as much as I do the cleaners at home. And I dont have to worry if they get wrinkled in transit.

I just figured this out on my last cruise in January. As I was packing I went to grab shirts for dinner, saw the pile of shirts that were supposed to go to the cleaners and I had an "Ah HA" moment. Why not have the shirts for the cruise laundered on board? Saved me a trip to the cleaners. Not sure why it took four cruises to figure that out. :)

I have used the Dry cleaning services. Came out fairly good except the creased everything. From sleeves on shirts, cargo shorts, and the worst of all on my Sport Jacket. I can live with all except on the Sport Jacket as I could not get the crease out and it is permanant.

I travel a lot for work and have had so many things creased by the hotel dry cleaners (jeans, cargo shorts, etc). I'm not sure if it would work on the ship, but I usually include a note in the laundry bag where I have written with a magic marker, "Please, no creases."

Hey Fozzy :D

I find myself being gently persuaded to review my packing options. What with taking an internal US flight this year on top of the transatlantic flight and spending a few days before the RCCL vacation in Seattle the thought of dragging heavy cases around is beginning to concern me. Packing 101 needed :rolleyes:

Now I have to broach the subject with DH

Hey back!!

I understand the packing, as we have to fly to the US first and only get one free checked bag now. For the Jewel I packed a lot of mix and match items, so I got more wear out of them. I made a list, which sounds silly, but I made sure I had a "plan" for each day. Wore sneakers, and packed a pair of flat sandals and one dressy pair. A minor miracle for me as I have tonnes of shoes. I ironed a few things in the hotel in Miami the morning we left and it didn't wrinkle by the time I got my luggage that evening. Used the special bag twice, and Kay sent out a few things seperately (capris and pants), which was pretty cheap and came back the next day I believe. We did the 11-night plus 3 nights in the US first - I had one checked bag and a small carry -on.

I have always used the laundry and dry cleaning. I always thought they did an excellent job. The only exception was my recent Radiance cruise. They wrote my room number in ink on the inside of all the clothes I sent to have laundered. Granted, it's on the inside seem and you can't see it when worn, but I still don't like that they wrote on my clothes in permanent ink.

We use the laundry service and have always been pleased. When wanting things washed in cold water, I note any "special" instructions on the form.

I have always used the laundry and dry cleaning. I always thought they did an excellent job. The only exception was my recent Radiance cruise. They wrote my room number in ink on the inside of all the clothes I sent to have laundered. Granted, it's on the inside seem and you can't see it when worn, but I still don't like that they wrote on my clothes in permanent ink.

Your clothes have to find their way back to the right cabin somehow. I noticed this also with our cabin number written in ink on the neck tags.

On Splendour they actually made adhesive cloth labels with your cabin number on then put them onto the neckline of all t-****s. Talk about rubbing you the wrong way.

We have had similar experiences with land-based drycleaners and have managed to live with the practice. I guess that insuring that my laundry is returned to me trumps the minor problem of my room number being written on a spot on my clothes where it isn't readily visible.

Cruise Critic rocks! I never realized how many people use the laundry service:eek:

I guess I was the only one who hadn't thought of using it until our Med cruise. Living in FL we drive to the port and never have to worry about packing. Now that we are going overseas and going for much longer, I was just thinking of how it could be done. Thanks for confiming my thoughts and ideas. You all rock!:D

I have used it a number of times. Last week on Radiance we used the $25 special and while it was fine for socks and underwear the t-shirts came back "extremely" wrinkled. We had to spray them down with wrinkle release to make them wearable.

Take care,

Mike

[quote name='Tquinn1']This is the second time I have seen someone mention items they put in the "bag special" and neither time did they mention slacks or jeans. Are these items excluded from the all you can cram : ) special???[/quote]

It is wash and fold only, so don't put anything into the bag that would not be wearable if folded and wrinkled. We don't fold any of our clothing other than underwear, pajamas, bathing suits, we prefer pressed clothing. A pair of jeans would take up most of the bag, which would actually cost more that sending them out for wash on another day.

We estimated it cost us an extra $8.25 over what the regular wash would have cost us, if we didn't get stuck with the wash special. The shirts and pants were a wrinkled mess and had to be sent back out for pressing. We will always avoid the wash special from now on, we don't have that much laundry to do, it usually costs us around $20 for laundry/dry cleaning on an average 7 night cruise. For our 13 night cruise (plus pre and post days), it was around $100, it would have cost less if we didn't have the laundry special.

Here is the laundry price list. Press only is half of the dry cleaning cost:

[U][COLOR=#800080][URL]http://media.royalcaribbean.com/content/en_US/pdf/LaundryPriceList.pdf[/URL][/COLOR][/U][URL="http://www.amazon.com/What-Time-Midnight-Buffet-Worrying/dp/0595364276/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1265554337&sr=1-1"][/URL]

Archived