Priceline Rooms in Vancouver?

Flredhead

Has anyone used the name your price feature on Priceline for a room in Vancouver prior to your cruise? If yes, were you happy with what you got? If yes, how much did you bid for a 4 star room?

Thank you. With a family of 10 traveling and 3 rooms needed for each night I am looking to save dollars.

Has anyone used the name your price feature on Priceline for a room in Vancouver prior to your cruise? If yes, were you happy with what you got? If yes, how much did you bid for a 4 star room?

Thank you. With a family of 10 traveling and 3 rooms needed for each night I am looking to save dollars.

I have. Last year I think I started bidding in February for our beginning of September trip for a 4 Star in Downtown Vancouver.

Think I started like at $85 and would work my way up. Between the West Coast Departure boards and knowing what people were hitting at www.biddingfortravel.com, I finally hit at the end of March for $102 ($20 tax) for the Westin Bayshore http://www.starwoodhotels.com/westin/property/overview/index.html?propertyID=1080

If I remember regular rates for when we were going were running over $250 a night. Right now just doing the same dates this year the lowest rate is $263 and that's an advance purchase, non refundable, which is what Priceline would be.

It was a great place. It was right on the marina, really close to Stanley Park and was one of the stops on the Trolley line, so all we had to do was go out the front door and catch it.

Susan in Anchorage :)

I have. Last year I think I started bidding in February for our beginning of September trip for a 4 Star in Downtown Vancouver.

Think I started like at $85 and would work my way up. Between the West Coast Departure boards and knowing what people were hitting at www.biddingfortravel.com, I finally hit at the end of March for $102 ($20 tax) for the Westin Bayshore http://www.starwoodhotels.com/westin/property/overview/index.html?propertyID=1080

If I remember regular rates for when we were going were running over $250 a night. Right now just doing the same dates this year the lowest rate is $263 and that's an advance purchase, non refundable, which is what Priceline would be.

It was a great place. It was right on the marina, really close to Stanley Park and was one of the stops on the Trolley line, so all we had to do was go out the front door and catch it.

Susan in Anchorage :)

I've been trying for Vancouver for Sept 10 since November 09, and nope, have gone up to $120 and still no go. I keep trying everyday, but nothing gives for me either. I did get the Renaissance Harborview for $150/night with a special promotion, but am hoping to nail a priceline room at half the cost. Good Luck to you!!!

Wait until after the Olympics and Paralympics are finished late March - as mentioned in a previous thread the new Coast Coal Harbour hotel - about three blocks from Canada Place has a $99.00 a night special from after the Olympics to the end of 2010 - the only caveat is that you must pay upfront and there are no cancellations (which you would with Priceline anyway ) - this is a brand new property only opened less than a month.

Here's a link to it:

http://www.coasthotels.com/hotels/canada/bc/vancouver/coast_coalharbour/packages_and_specials/pay_now

Cheers

Dennis

You might have one problem with the Priceline name your price. They clearly state that what you get is a room for 2 - could be just one queen bed and that the hotel does not have to make accomodations available at that price if you want a room that holds more than 2. Just keep that in mind.

You might have one problem with the Priceline name your price. They clearly state that what you get is a room for 2 - could be just one queen bed and that the hotel does not have to make accomodations available at that price if you want a room that holds more than 2. Just keep that in mind.

That may be technically true but we have never encountered a hotel that wasn't willing or able to accommodate us. We were even able to get a room that handled five people (three adults and two kids) at the Hyatt Regency Downtown Miami that was booked through Priceline. Your warning is certainly something that should be taken into consideration but I think the chances are at least reasonably good that rooms that will hold more than two people will be made available.

Priceline is too much a hassle for me. I always use Hotwire and am rarely dissapointed. Checking that 9/10 date, I am seeing 2 hotels in the 120-140 range that are 4 star. One is a suite and the other is has a spa, so I am sure it would be easy enough to figure out ahead of time what you are buying.

You can also use the amenity icons to narrow it down- for example, the suite hotel listed is 100% non-smoking and has kitchenettes in the room. The location is downtown Vancouver. Sometimes the hotels will tell you if they have rooms on Hotwire if you call and ask. Tripadvisor is also helpful in narrowing down the hotel.

Another quick tip- if you look at prices and don't buy immediately, often when you return the price will have gone up a few dollars. The servers are reading your cookies and trying to make you think the price is going up! Empty your cookies and restart your browser- or switch from Explorer to Firefox. You will get different prices.

If you still want to pursue Priceline, Hotwire will give you a good idea of what the going rate you will need to bid- less maybe $5-10. Good luck :)

We used Hotwire last summer and stayed at the Sutton Place for $120. It was a 4 star rated hotel and was great. I've used both Hotwire and Priceline and the only difference I seen is Hotwire gives you a list of ammenities the hotel offers and the price for the different ratings. Hotwire can inflate the ratings a little and I've had some questionable 3 star. The 3.5 star and above have all been nice and the 4 star have all been at great hotels.

If you want to book Priceline, the Hotwire prices give you an idea of what to bid. If you have an Iphone, download the Priceline app and it tells you the average acceptable bid and the chances they will accept your bid.

Here's a link that shows many of the hotels that are offered:

http://www.betterbidding.com/index.php?showforum=294&

Good luck.

• 2 weeks later...

There are cities which have botique type hotels that only sleep two. There are hotels that have "priceline rooms". Small rooms with one double bed.

There are cities, like Orlando, where almost every hotel will sleep 4. I don't know how many hotels in Vancouver have rooms that only sleep 2. Hoping to be able to sleep 4 may be reasonable but hoping to sleep 5 is looking for trouble.

I agree with the PP. Hotwire may be a better option. You can specify 4.

That may be technically true but we have never encountered a hotel that wasn't willing or able to accommodate us. We were even able to get a room that handled five people (three adults and two kids) at the Hyatt Regency Downtown Miami that was booked through Priceline. Your warning is certainly something that should be taken into consideration but I think the chances are at least reasonably good that rooms that will hold more than two people will be made available.

I just used hotwire last week for our July cruise...I went with the $120 dollar one that said it had spa services and we ended up at the Sheraton Vancouver Wall Centre. I am happy with that as it is a stop for the trolley. Good luck. Marci

Wait until after the Olympics and Paralympics are finished late March - as mentioned in a previous thread the new Coast Coal Harbour hotel - about three blocks from Canada Place has a $99.00 a night special from after the Olympics to the end of 2010 - the only caveat is that you must pay upfront and there are no cancellations (which you would with Priceline anyway ) - this is a brand new property only opened less than a month.

Here's a link to it:

http://www.coasthotels.com/hotels/canada/bc/vancouver/coast_coalharbour/packages_and_specials/pay_now

Cheers

Dennis

I tried to book yesterday on the web and called 3 times. The $99 per night is not being honored in Sept 10-the cheapest rate offered is $169. Oh well, waiting on Priceline, or will keep our reservation with Renaissance Harbourview. I made those reservations last fall using our "Entertainment coupon book". The rate was about $120 per day off their regular daily charge. Hoping to get the room there later this spring for under $100 day on Priceline. Keep our fingers crossed. Right now the Sheraton is being offered, but I bid $110 and it was refused. I'd rather stay at the Renassance so will just wait and see what's offered. Thanks for your info!

Right now the Sheraton is being offered, but I bid $110 and it was refused. I'd rather stay at the Renassance so will just wait and see what's offered. Thanks for your info!

Just curious, did you check both Downtown and the Granville Entertainment district? The Sheraton will only come up if you include the Entertainment district in your bid.

Just curious, did you check both Downtown and the Granville Entertainment district? The Sheraton will only come up if you include the Entertainment district in your bid.

Hmmm no I didn't, but it seems to be showing on Hotwire as Vancouver West. Are there any other hotels that offer a spa? I couldn't find any others when I checked Trip Advisor. We wanted to stay closer to the port, but guess they are all close to port! Thanks for the info, may try later today, have to give them 24 hrs between bids! :D

I'm almost certain that 4* in Vancouver West on Hotwire is the Sheraton. It was listed at $126/nt when I booked on Priceline for $110. I wouldn't have bid much higher, knowing I could just book it on Hotwire. You know you can actually make several bids in one day if you use the free re-bid zone strategy. Just be careful and make sure you know what you are doing. I do it all the time and it works great. You can read up on it at BetterBidding dot com. Good luck!

FYI, Checked out this hotel...rates are "Starting from" $99.00

Got quote of $118 + tax for 5/22

Wait until after the Olympics and Paralympics are finished late March - as mentioned in a previous thread the new Coast Coal Harbour hotel - about three blocks from Canada Place has a $99.00 a night special from after the Olympics to the end of 2010 - the only caveat is that you must pay upfront and there are no cancellations (which you would with Priceline anyway ) - this is a brand new property only opened less than a month.FYI, Checked out this hotel...rates are "Starting from" $99.00

Got quote of $118 + tax for 5/22

I called Coast Coal hotel, and they quoted me at $159 all three times for 9/10. They said the $99 special did not apply that late, but thanks! :( I will wait till the end of March but will just low bid until then. I have been bidding every day, but really want to stay in the Downtown area to stay on the Trolley and Skytrain routes. Thanks everyone for your help! I bid $106 plus a $10 incentive with my Entertainment Coupon last night which took my bid to $116, for the median price 4 star Downtown @ $238 for that day, and again it was refused. I won't bid high anymore, will save that and see if the end of March brings more lucrative results. I made a just in case reservation for the Renaissance Harbor last fall for $150, that's not bad, and didn't have to advance the money-not a bad price, but would like to get a bid cheaper. It's a tradition when we cruise, have always had really nice hotels, and it is more fun when you know you paid rock bottom prices! Thanks Everyone for you hints and help!:D

• 2 weeks later...
I just used hotwire last week for our July cruise...I went with the $120 dollar one that said it had spa services and we ended up at the Sheraton Vancouver Wall Centre. I am happy with that as it is a stop for the trolley. Good luck. Marci

Just booked Delta Vancouver Airport for $81 + tax with Priceline for May 22 pre cruise for Ryndam departure May 23rd. They have an Airport Shuttle and we don't get in till 11PM so just wanted a place close, then we'll arrange transportation to port in AM. Hope everyone has a great cruise!

Just booked Delta Vancouver Airport for $81 + tax with Priceline for May 22 pre cruise for Ryndam departure May 23rd. They have an Airport Shuttle and we don't get in till 11PM so just wanted a place close, then we'll arrange transportation to port in AM. Hope everyone has a great cruise!

That's a great deal, hopefully soon the prices on Priceline will come down for our Sept Vancouver stay! That's for posting the amt you won the bid with and where it is, that's a big help also!!!! Anyone else with recent winning bids for Vancouver????

Vancouver has a had quite a few new hotel rooms come on stream over the past 18 to 24 months in anticipation of the Olympics. Candidly I am not certain how these rooms will be filled this year .... even with the new Trade & Convention Centre. The other thing to consider is the fact that there are fewer cruise ships being homeported in Vancouver this upcoming season. This to me all adds up to some great hotel deals this summer.

I would wait until the end of this month or the first of April before biding on Priceline. I would then choose Vancouver-Downtown and start bidding at about the $75 to $85 for a 3*+ hotel. All hotels at this level are in safe areas, are within a $10 cab fare of the Canada Place cruise terminal and a number below $100 will likely get your the Hyatt or one of the two Marriotts. In the $100 to $150 will likely get you something like Sutton Place or perhaps even the Pan Pacific.

I'm looking at Hotwire right now & see a 5* "Downtown Vancouver West" at $139 for late June (June 24/3nights to be exact). Any ideas which property this might be? I have L'Hermitage booked for $204/night for a 1BR Suite...looking for a better deal, but we are a family of 4 & trying to not make my teens sleep on the floor! I may toy with Priceline rates at some point, just curious if someone can pinpoint this "5*" property....it does say it has a spa....Coast Coal Hotel is at $186 these nights...

Some of the PL and Hotwire advice given by othewise reliable posters is 100% bad strategy.

betterbidding.com and biddingfortravel.com are two sites with good information. According to bb there are 3 5* hotels in Vancouver downtown West zone.

La Grande Residence at the Sutton Place Hotel should show condo as an amenity (you may have to click on the icon that says display all amenities)

Pan Pacific and Sutton Place could show the same amenities.

Check Betterbidding for hotwire help.

I'm looking at Hotwire right now & see a 5* "Downtown Vancouver West" at $139 for late June (June 24/3nights to be exact). Any ideas which property this might be? I have L'Hermitage booked for $204/night for a 1BR Suite...looking for a better deal, but we are a family of 4 & trying to not make my teens sleep on the floor! I may toy with Priceline rates at some point, just curious if someone can pinpoint this "5*" property....it does say it has a spa....Coast Coal Hotel is at $186 these nights...

Hotwire often uses a different 5* rating than others....but as this is a guessing contest, the price sounds a lot like Sutton Place or perhaps the Weston Bayshore...but that is just a SWAG on my part.

We stayed there last year and just got it again this year with a priceline bid at a great price. It is a very nice hotel and the Elephant and Castle Pub is quite nice.

Archived