When traveling with kids do you share a table?

mom2jax

We will be sailing with our kids 8 & 12. We have done MDR both ways in the past, large tables or just a table for the 4 of us. Last year the kids ate and ran back to be with friends most nights. DH and I might like to meet some new people but I worry about getting a large table with people that might not want to be with my kids? When you travel with children what do you do?

They will try to seat families with families, so I wouldn't worry about it! We LOVE having tablemates...it really makes dinner fun and special and something to look forward to!

So, get that large table, make friends and have fun!

It really depends on your family style. We have cruised with our son, who is now 16, since he was 18 months. Our 'rule' is that we have meals together to catch up on the day. This gives us a chance to share but each of us can enjoy separate activities during the day. If you share a table, you cannot have those more personal conversations. Also, my son found himself sitting silently through many meals when he reached the 10 to 12 year old age when we shared a table because other adults aren't interested in the ramblings of a tween. We have done the seating both ways but now almost always choose a table of our own.

Long ago, when my son was in the 8-10 range, I sailed with him twice. Once it was just the two of us, and the second time we took my mom. We were seated at a table with other families, and it was a lot of fun. To be honest, as a single parent, it was nice to have someone other than just him at the dinner table!

We've travelled with our DD (now 14YO) since she was a baby. We've always requested larger tables on our cruises. Generally we do end up on tables with other families -- I'm not certain how much of that is "by design" vs how much is simply done because we are a "odd number" and many other families are also "odd number" of diners and together we even out? Rarely are we seated at tables with kids our DD age -- when she was seven we were at a table with one family with a 14YO and another family with two 12YO. When SHE was 12, we were at a table with a 16YO and a family with a 6 and an 8YO.

Last two cruises we were on tables with all adults.

She has always enjoyed the extra company and now really looks forward to the conversation (no matter what the ages of her companions). We've never had anyone express any problem dining with a child.

On our Med cruise two years ago (when she was 13YO) on the last evening, one of our dining companions confessed to me that she HAD been concerned first night being seated with a child, but said that she was so glad she had not asked to be reassigned because she had enjoyed all of our company -- so we might even have had a convert!

If your kids are relatively well mannered, dining at a "mixed" table may be a great opportunity for them to experience some new things.

If you have children, they will place you at a tale with people that have children, so that should not be a worry. The last time we cruised with children, we had our own table.

Not necessarily. When we cruised on the Carnival Elation when the kids were 10 and 13 they sat us at a 8 top with a retired couple and a newlywed couple. Quite the mix we were. On three of our cruises we went with family and friends and shared a table with them. On one we had freestyle dining so we got to choose a table by ourselves and on the last on we were given a table by ourselves.

We did MTD with a table for just the four of us. We requested larger but the head waiter said that most adult groups wouln''t want to dine with them.

He did say that if another couple showed up witha kid they'd try to put us together.

Harsh!

That would have been enough cause for me to request to withhold the auto-tip for the head waiter!

We just got off the Jewel and were very surprised at who they sat us with. We had a single middle aged woman from Florida, 2 older gentlemen from Ireland and our family of 5. They seemed to all enjoy having the children at their table and we had a great time with them. They gave us their addresses and have asked us to send photos as the kids grow up.

Harsh!

That would have been enough cause for me to request to withhold the auto-tip for the head waiter!

Why? Maybe he could of phased it differently but it is probably true that people that have no children do not want to sit with children at a table. I would not have been offended if people at our table moved.

When we cruised on Mariner of the Seas, we were a family of 5...me, dh, my mom and my sons who were then 10 and 5.5. We went to the dining room the first night and were at a table for 13, so we hoped it was 2 other families.

No such luck. We were actually seated with 4 mature couples (3 of them were travelling together). You can imagine their faces when they came in and saw my boys sitting there.

Luckily, they did not bail on us and we ended up having a lovely week with them. My boys know how to behave in a nice restaurant and a few nights they left and went up to the club. DH even exchanged email addresses with one of the women who sent us her delicious New England Clam Chowder recipe (they were from Boston).

Maybe there were no other unattached families on the cruise? Who knows. It turned out fine but I was a bit concerned that they would up and leave on us.

• 2 months later...

We just booked 14 nights on the Liberty of Seas RCCL from Miami to Barcelona. We are a family of three, my DD will be 5 at the time of sailing. We requested a table of four. Will the fourth seat be empty or will they fill it? (DH would not like to seat with anyone for 14 nights.. )

Thanks!

Why? Maybe he could of phased it differently but it is probably true that people that have no children do not want to sit with children at a table. I would not have been offended if people at our table moved.

If the head waiter had said to a elderly couple, that younger groups would not want to dine with them, that would be understandable as well? What about a gay couple being told that straight parties probably wouldn't want to dine with them? What about the neo-****s who want Aryian credentials of their tablemates?

The head waiter SHOULD have worded it differently - more of a "I'll see what I can do" and then even if he didn't bother to do anything he would not have offended anyone.

On our last cruise (Celebrity) we had requested a "large" table and ended up at a table for four (just the three of us). The head waiter reassigned us to another table without any question and the two other couples at that table were happy to have more at the table (not fun having four at a table for 10). And they added another couple the next evening. None of the three adults only groups had any issue with being seated at a table with a child.

We just booked 14 nights on the Liberty of Seas RCCL from Miami to Barcelona. We are a family of three, my DD will be 5 at the time of sailing. We requested a table of four. Will the fourth seat be empty or will they fill it? (DH would not like to seat with anyone for 14 nights.. )

Thanks!

Likely not, but there is no guarentee.

Would you have room to pull up a high chair at a table for 4, or would it be in the way or too crowded at the table of 4 adults? Im sure there would be some out of the way table, but not sure if its too crowded since I dont think Ive ever had a table for 4, we usually ask for a table of 10. Thanks!

If the head waiter had said to a elderly couple, that younger groups would not want to dine with them, that would be understandable as well? What about a gay couple being told that straight parties probably wouldn't want to dine with them? What about the neo-****s who want Aryian credentials of their tablemates?

The head waiter SHOULD have worded it differently - more of a "I'll see what I can do" and then even if he didn't bother to do anything he would not have offended anyone.

On our last cruise (Celebrity) we had requested a "large" table and ended up at a table for four (just the three of us). The head waiter reassigned us to another table without any question and the two other couples at that table were happy to have more at the table (not fun having four at a table for 10). And they added another couple the next evening. None of the three adults only groups had any issue with being seated at a table with a child.

Sorry, but there is a difference when you are with a table with young children. If I have young children I would be thrilled with sitting with another family, otherwise, no.

We always request a table for four for me, DH and our 2 DD's (ages 9 and 13). Usually we have gotten our request, with two exceptions. On the Celebrity Summit we were seated at a table for 8 with another family who had kids about the same ages as ours. That worked out just great. But on our most recent cruise (Mariner of the Seas this past March) we were seated at a table for 6 with a mature couple (the wife told us she was 79). On the first night, we were already seated when she drove up in her power scooter. The first words out of her mouth were "You're in my chair!" directed at me. Apparently they are regulars on the Mariner and our table was "their" regular table and my seat was "her" seat. I just moved and let her have it! For the rest of the week she sort of terrorized the wait staff, but was actually nice enough to us.

So I guess it goes to show that anything is possible. Sometimes even a crotchety old person can rise to the occasion and get along with kids. But if you are in a bad situation, you can always ask to be moved.

Thanks!

You will most likely sit by yourself. We have never had them put a single with our usual table of 3. :)

Pre-kids, I always found large tables to be one of the highlights of cruising. Now though, when I'm cruising with my daughters, I like our meals to be just for us to spend that time together. On our last cruise we shared a few meals with others we met, and while I was proud that my girls had good manners, I hated that they had to keep quiet so much of the meal so as not to be talking over the adults, who of course were always in conversation. I much prefer to enjoy the company of my girls at dinner before they rush off to the kids club.

Best,

Mia

Archived