Destiny cancelled sailing on 2/18, and it failed to notify me until I found out today

newnew68

Because I was trying to register on line and it says reservation cancelled. I can not believe it! We worked so hard to get the vacation together and already paid $1800 for the flight and hotel. I called them in shock, and they will only give a $75 credit if one books a future cruise. I tried to get them to get me more discount or onbroad credit for a 3 day cruise so I don't have to waste my plane tickets, but they will not issue any. First of all, if I had known about this 2 weeks ago when they claim they sent the email, I would have gotten a much better deal. Then we would done a different arrangement with our vacation that I didn't have to book a hotel for $200, and now it is going to be wasted. I can't believe they can't try other ways to inform everyone, via phone and via mail. They only sent an email! I didn't receive such an email!!! If I weren't trying to register on line, I would have shown up at the port on next Weds! I have friends who sends me email which I never receive, how can they depend on email to send such important notification?

It is so irresponsible of Carnival to "just send an email" to inform such an important notice! We all spent so much money and energy trying to put the vacation together, I can't believe it can be done so carelessly. I am very pissed off! I got their headquarter address and number, and am going to complain. Any idea and input, and similar experiences? I can't speak for everyone, does this seems right to everyone? I worked so hard to get my few days vacation together, it took so much planning and now, it all came down to this.

Because I was trying to register on line and it says reservation cancelled. I can not believe it! We worked so hard to get the vacation together and already paid $1800 for the flight and hotel. I called them in shock, and they will only give a $75 credit if one books a future cruise. I tried to get them to get me more discount or onbroad credit for a 3 day cruise so I don't have to waste my plane tickets, but they will not issue any. First of all, if I had known about this 2 weeks ago when they claim they sent the email, I would have gotten a much better deal. Then we would done a different arrangement with our vacation that I didn't have to book a hotel for $200, and now it is going to be wasted. I can't believe they can't try other ways to inform everyone, via phone and via mail. They only sent an email! I didn't receive such an email!!! If I weren't trying to register on line, I would have shown up at the port on next Weds! I have friends who sends me email which I never receive, how can they depend on email to send such important notification?

It is so irresponsible of Carnival to "just send an email" to inform such an important notice! We all spent so much money and energy trying to put the vacation together, I can't believe it can be done so carelessly. I am very pissed off! I got their headquarter address and number, and am going to complain. Any idea and input, and similar experiences? I can't speak for everyone, does this seems right to everyone? I worked so hard to get my few days vacation together, it took so much planning and now, it all came down to this.

newnew68;

The ship had to be fixed so 'does it seem right?' Yes.

If Carnival had additional contact information for you I am sure they would have used each contact method at least once.

Since your friends are having problems getting emails to you, perhaps you should consider a new email provider?

But why did you not get their email? Do you filter junk mail? Did it go to your junk mail and you have not checked it? Why didn't your TA call you?? I would be very pissed at your TA for not letting you know what is going on.

I think you may have misunderstood: they will give you either all your money back or full credit for another cruise with and extra $75 onboard credit. They will also give you $200 to rebook your flights, so you are not at a total loss there. This was announced 1/26, and yes, if you give them an email address, that is how they contact everyone quickly. (Since you don't get emails from friends, it might be more of a problem with your ISP). If you cannot change your plans to another week, you might look at taking the 2 day cruise leaving on the 20th.

can make other arrangement. I bet there are some other people who are not so computer efficient would experience something similiar. They could have called, and again I didn't receive any phone call, or a letter. The email was supposed to be sent on 1/26, there is 2 weeks they could have found another way to make sure everyone is notified. A simple letter would have been good enough.

can make other arrangement. I bet there are some other people who are not so computer efficient would experience something similiar. They could have called, and again I didn't receive any phone call, or a letter. The email was supposed to be sent on 1/26, there is 2 weeks they could have found another way to make sure everyone is notified. A simple letter would have been good enough.

newnew68,

I would say it's a safe bet that you aren't the only one just now finding out and that there WILL be people show up for the cancelled sailings.

Personally I find email to be MUCH more dependable than snail mail. Email is frequently tracked with read receipts to indicate when it was received and read. Carnival can track the email they send you and know whether they needed to try other contact methods; I do not know that they tracked the emails, but I am sure they can. ;)

and titled "ESTA Notification". I want to ask everyone, does that look like a improtant email and from "Carnival"? Carnival is not even on anywhere in the mail, then there is this attachment. It really looks like a mail that contains virus. I am really puzzled how can they do this. I am very surprised not more people complaining about this. I won't be surprise if someone who assume everything is fine and just showed up at the port on 2/18.

Carnival announced the cancellations many places...including their website. An email is ALWAYS generated advising all passengers of cancellation--it is automatic and done by manifest. If the person has no email, they are phoned.

You can get your money back and they are offering a credit towards a future cruise.....and credit for your airline tickets. What else would you possibly want?

It's always a good idea to keep informed about your cruise....and about your flights by checking reservations regularly. Anything can happen...and as you realize...do happen.

and titled "ESTA Notification". I want to ask everyone, does that look like a improtant email and from "Carnival"? Carnival is not even on anywhere in the mail, then there is this attachment. It really looks like a mail that contains virus. I am really puzzled how can they do this. I am very surprised not more people complaining about this. I won't be surprise if someone who assume everything is fine and just showed up at the port on 2/18.

newnew68,

Yes, that looks like every email I have ever received from Carnival regarding a booking or booking confirmation.

Interesting timing for them to have just now resent it.

Those who show up at the pier will be the ones who don't keep track of their reservations and check them once in a while....or who delete email without opening it.

I would not open that either...they should say Carnival somewhere you'd think..for petes sake it's important..or put your booking number in the subject you would have recognized that...I'm so sorry to hear about all this let us know how it turns out if you call corporate.:cool:

Have you contacted your TA to find out why they did not notify you of this change?

Carnival announced the cancellations many places...including their website. An email is ALWAYS generated advising all passengers of cancellation--it is automatic and done by manifest. If the person has no email' date=' they are phoned.

You can get your money back and they are offering a credit towards a future cruise.....and credit for your airline tickets. What else would you possibly want?

It's always a good idea to keep informed about your cruise....and about your flights by checking reservations regularly. Anything can happen...and as you realize...do happen.[/quote']

So they are so dumb therefore they supposed to waste their time and money, and for sure going through this unpleasant experience? Do you think I have a problem with the ship needs to be fixed? No, I don't. My problem is that they should find other ways to inform people than just simply rely on email. A phone call, and an old fashion letter would have worked. It is their mistake, and it really shouldn't have happened. I check my mail all the time, I have an iphone. Even I did receive this email, I might not have opened it.

I think you may have misunderstood: they will give you either all your money back or full credit for another cruise with and extra $75 onboard credit. They will also give you $200 to rebook your flights, so you are not at a total loss there. This was announced 1/26, and yes, if you give them an email address, that is how they contact everyone quickly. (Since you don't get emails from friends, it might be more of a problem with your ISP). If you cannot change your plans to another week, you might look at taking the 2 day cruise leaving on the 20th.

I would not open that either...they should say Carnival somewhere you'd think..for petes sake it's important..or put your booking number in the subject you would have recognized that...I'm so sorry to hear about all this let us know how it turns out if you call corporate.:cool:

While I agree the contact method is odd I have some idea there is more to this story than we are hearing (i.e., they did call, etc.). What reason could the OP possibly have for calling corporate? He will get his money back in full, OR have credit for another cruise with $75 OBC, AND $200 to rebook the flights. I cannot fathom why he would need to contact corporate. While I am sorry this has happened, again, I suspect there may be more to this story than we are being told. Just my $.02. YMMV

Have you contacted your TA to find out why they did not notify you of this change?

They can only say they have send the email. But this email does not look like anything. Would you have opened it even you see it? They resent me again and I didn't get it on 1/26.

Thanks. You made me feel better. I will somehow do something about this! This is not right, there should be a class action against this.

newnew68,

Class action? Carnival's cruise contract states;

(b) Carnival has the right without previous notice to cancel this contract at the port of embarkation or any time during the voyage and shall thereupon return to the Guest, if the Contract is completely canceled, his passage money, or, if the Contract is partially canceled, a proportionate part thereof. Under such circumstances, Carnival shall have no further liability for damages or compensation of any kind.

Given the fact that Carnival OFFERED to refund 100% AND pay additional $$ for future cruise and to pay $$ for any airline reticketing charges, why would you feel a class action lawsuit is warranted? They went way beyond their contractural obligations in terms of returned $$ and they are actually out all revenue for the cancelled cruises plus the time and expense spent notifying every one plus the expense of repairing the vessel.

I realize I didn't come across as feeling sorry for you earlier, but I assure you I did feel sorry until the class action words....well the part where you wanted more earlier wasn't very pleasing either now that I think about it.

They can only say they have send the email. But this email does not look like anything. Would you have opened it even you see it? They resent me again and I didn't get it on 1/26.

newnew68,

Saying they sent it isn't the only thing they can do; they can also determine if the email was received. If you deleted it without opening it, they will know that too. Odds are if they resent it, they are simply verifying your current IP to compare against their previous email's record.

I'm confused.....did your TA send this email or Carnival?

I would be very upset too. Not all of us on these boards have 100 years experience in the travel agent industry:rolleyes:

my emails from carnival have NEVER EVER NEVER EVER came to me looking like that. I too would have deleted it. mine state something like

from CabinConfirmations at carnivaldotcom.

since i do not have 100 years experience, nor do i spend my entire waking moments in life on this computer, i do not read and visit the carnival website nor this site every single hour of every single day.

I too think a personal phone call would/should be the proper thing. heck, my pc was just replaced at home because it had crashed (virus no less-probably from a suspicous email too lol)

ONE SHOULD NOT COUNT ON AN EMAIL FOR SUCH IMPORTANT MATTERS. Certified mail, a personal phone call etc.

i personally have no idea why this particular ship is being repaired. i have no idea what is going on right now with the ship i cruise on in less than 60 days. I don't follow that closely. I HAVE A LIFE! CCL should have done a better job notifying people other than just by email! that's piss poor communication and customer service IMO.

Sure, noting it on the website, sending an email is ok. One should also make a personal phone call....heck, even a robophone call would have been better.

I'm sorry to the OP about her vacation. My dh has to bid his vacation time off the year before....so i know about getting vacation bids, kids situated, pet sitters, planets aligned and an act of God to get everything together to go on a vacation. It hardly seems fair that an email can just take all of tha away. It's rude and unproffessional if you ask me.

Put the blame where this belongs, not on the OP, but on Carnival for not doing a better job.

I'm sorry to hear that this happened to you. It would be nice for Carnival to not just email, but also call. I much prefer personal contact. I don't blame you at all for doing some venting here, and maybe even typing stuff that you don't entirely mean. Almost all of us do that. Time off work is hard to arrange for most of us, so when something like this happens, Carnival should try harder (phone call) to let the people know as quickly as possible. On my Elation cruise, they had to change the itinerary 3 weeks before sailing because of hurricane damage. Unfortunately, no phone call. I found out about the change by mail, giving me a window to cancel and get a full refund. But by the time the letter arrived, it was already too late for that. I wouldn't have cancelled anyway, but anyone who wanted to wasn't told in time. I do hope you get that full $1800 back in some form or another so that you at least won't be out any money.

It looks like your TA did not forward the change to you so it looks like it could be your TA's fault, not Carnivals. Contact your TA to find out what you should do!!!

I would be ticked too, dut there are sooooo many cheap last minute cruises right now that you could book one this very second for probably less than what you paid originally. Use those extra funds for many trips to the bar.

Some people neeeever get that, WHEN YOU HAVE BEEN WRONGED, you follow the chain of command and seek out the compensation you deserve and/or a verbal confirmation that a change in policy if forthcoming. Not everyone should be a doormat and accept the first offer thrown at them in the hope that they keep their annoying revenue paying mouths shut.

While I agree the contact method is odd I have some idea there is more to this story than we are hearing (i.e., they did call, etc.). What reason could the OP possibly have for calling corporate? He will get his money back in full, OR have credit for another cruise with $75 OBC, AND $200 to rebook the flights. I cannot fathom why he would need to contact corporate. While I am sorry this has happened, again, I suspect there may be more to this story than we are being told. Just my $.02. YMMV

Archived