Destiny cancelled sailing on 2/18, and it failed to notify me until I found out today

newnew68

Oh Vanessa. Life is good isn't it? Well except for the Kentucky part. But other than that life is certainly good for Vanessa. It's funny how you can tell a person's whole life story by a single posting on the internet.

It's so darn great to be Vanessa!:rolleyes:

The irony in that statement is you have no idea who I am or the things I've been through in my life (some might curl your hair if it is otherwise straight).

You're joking, right? Please tell me you wrote the above in jest.

I view it as the same thing. I had no way of knowing my daughter was going to get sick and cause me to have to cancel the trip. Folks who have had trips cancelled without prior knowledge end up in the same boat. Well, except that they typically get refunds if it is the fault of the provider that the trip is cancelled. Either way, you go to bed one night thinking, "Ahhhh, trip in 7 days," and wake up with someone saying, "Surprise!!!"

I long ago learned to live by the slogan, make plans, don't plan results. The ordeal with my daughter taught me that I can never, ever, assume that just because I make the plans that the plans are actually going to see fruition. All I can do is plan and leave the rest in God's hands. That has actually worked out very well for me ever since. Much more serenity there.

WOW I just had to pick my jaw up off the floor after reading the pages on this post!

I am the person who Bill is referring to who was scheduled on the cancelled Feb 18th cruise (and yes it was cancelled, not changed to a 2 day cruise). I challenge each and every one of you to consider the next cruise that you are sailing on. Consider the time you've spent researching ports, shore excursions, hotels, flights, arranging for time off for work, lining up child care providers and finally selecting the cruise of your choice. Now imagine its 3 weeks to go, you've started to pack, chatting on CC , getting very excited and your cruise gets cancelled. I know that responses to the OP would be quite different if everyone just put themselves in that situation and had a little compassion.

I was notified by e-mail on Jan 27th. My elderly mother and aunt who were also sailing (but made separate arrangements directly thru carnival )

do not have computers. They informed the rep of this and their information was taken by phone and e-docs mailed to them when they booked. They too WERE NEVER INFORMED OF THE CANCELLEATION. I received an e-mail for my booking and told them about it, but if I was not sailing they would have shown up at the port.

Now for my opinion....and please know that we are all entitled to them. I know that the Destiny needed to be repaired and some folks will be terribly inconvenienced if they are booked on these sailings. More than the money, inconvenienced by having to hastily research and book other travel plans. When I called Carnival to see what options were available to me, the rep did not even know that the sailing was cancelled. She had to speak with a supervisor. I requested my money back and as of today, I still have not received my credit card refund. (Carnvial says its still being processed).

I feel that the contacting of passengers was done poorly for a cancellation on their part due to a mechanical breakdown of their equipment. This was not due to a hurricaine or reasons beyond their control. Obviously some passengers have not been notified (my mother and aunt) nor do I feel that passengers need to follow up by calling a cruise line to make sure that their ship is still sailing. And I would venture to guess that 90% of passengers have never heard of cruise critic!

And for those folks who judge....may YOUR next cruise be cancelled.

Thank you for posting this! Carnival really could improve on their method of notifying their customers. Thank God I somewhat resolved the problem, at least I am not wasting my vacation. I will for sure make the best of it and not to dwell on this. Eventually I will contact them to complain, at least they will not be making more unlucky cruiser who really might show up to an empty port. I find it is very interesting reading all the posts. It is not so complicated, and everything I said here is real. I would not blame people who didn't open an email that has a title of IRBFAXESTAGEN, and it turned out to be an important notice. They at least can put a title of Carnival on the headline.

I have said it several times on this thread and I'll say it again... Carnival should have called each person who booked directly with them, and also called each TA who booked directly with them.

The TA in turn has a responsibility to relay that information to the passenger. Only in the case of a last minute notification would I expect Carnival to circumvent the TA and contact passengers directly.

No one has said that Carnival called, only e-mailed, and I think (if that is in fact true) that is unacceptable.

While this day and age every citizen should have email and check it regularly, not all do. Heck, there are probably people out there without a TV or a telephone. Being hard to reach makes passengers partly to blame, but assuming they at least had a phone with voice mail, every one should have been called by either Carnival or a TA via an inexpensive robo-calling service. There is just no excuse for that not to occur.

This did not come out right. What I mean to say is, 'THEY, the COMPANY (CCL) are not doing YOU a favor. The cutomers are doing CCL a favor".

AirTran! They are great. Not who I work for, but like them, again, it's about TAKING THE CUSTOMER BACK!!!!!! As a company, THEY (the customer) are not doing you a favor. YOU (the provider) are doing THEM a favor.

To bad so many companies don't respect their INVESTORS as just that.

I feel bad, but if I ever see an email in my inbasket from Carnival and I have a cruise booked. I darn well open the attachment that is sent along with it!!!!!

I am in the thought that if you have a cruise booked you should have a log in ID for Carnival and have your reservation added to your profile. That profile should be checked daily, if not once a week! Too many people book and then just do the minimal amount--fill in fun pass and print edocs/luggage tags and not much more. I do not know why more don't take I want to be on top of everything road and know what is going on when it happens so they can react to it.

I hope it all works out and that you learn to check the website, your reservation profile, and think before deleting emails so you are on top of it all.....You don't want to be like that family from on the 2007 Triumph cruise who found out the day of the cruise they were NOT going to Western Caribbean. They luckily did read enough that they were going out of Miami vs N ew Orleans, but they forgot to look at the page in the ticket book that listed where they would be going and started to raise hell AFTER we had left when the CD announced that the next day we'd be in Half Moon Cay for a glorious day at the beach...they then looked and realized they wouldn't be going to Cozumel, Jamiaca, or Grand Cayman as they had booked.....

I feel bad, but if I ever see an email in my inbasket from Carnival and I have a cruise booked. I darn well open the attachment that is sent along with it!!!!!

I am in the thought that if you have a cruise booked you should have a log in ID for Carnival and have your reservation added to your profile. That profile should be checked daily, if not once a week! Too many people book and then just do the minimal amount--fill in fun pass and print edocs/luggage tags and not much more. I do not know why more don't take I want to be on top of everything road and know what is going on when it happens so they can react to it.

I hope it all works out and that you learn to check the website, your reservation profile, and think before deleting emails so you are on top of it all.....You don't want to be like that family from on the 2007 Triumph cruise who found out the day of the cruise they were NOT going to Western Caribbean. They luckily did read enough that they were going out of Miami vs N ew Orleans, but they forgot to look at the page in the ticket book that listed where they would be going and started to raise hell AFTER we had left when the CD announced that the next day we'd be in Half Moon Cay for a glorious day at the beach...they then looked and realized they wouldn't be going to Cozumel, Jamiaca, or Grand Cayman as they had booked.....

If you got an email looking like this "ESTA Notification" you'd know it was Carnival and open it?

Bill

If you got an email looking like this "ESTA Notification" you'd know it was Carnival and open it?

Bill

Any emails that I have received from Carnival that weren't dealing with a booking or a payment have looked like this. I have had itinerary changes as well as a refund of fuel surcharges that have come like this.

I have to agree. I do this with all my vacations. I think that going on a vacation should be like a second job.

This one time I booked a room at the Four Seasons in Philadelphia eight months in advance. At first it was hard to keep on planning but eventually it became a pattern:

Wake up

Make coffee

Take a shower

Call front desk and ask if they still had my reservation

Drink coffee

Go to work

Eventually they got a restraining order against me but I told the judge that I was just being a diligent consumer. He asked if I ever cruised with Carnival. I said yes. Case dimissed. :D

I have to agree. I do this with all my vacations. I think that going on a vacation should be like a second job.

This one time I booked a room at the Four Seasons in Philadelphia eight months in advance. At first it was hard to keep on planning but eventually it became a pattern:

Wake up

Make coffee

Take a shower

Call front desk and ask if they still had my reservation

Drink coffee

Go to work

Eventually they got a restraining order against me but I told the judge that I was just being a diligent consumer. He asked if I ever cruised with Carnival. I said yes. Case dimissed. :D

Too funny!!! ROFL! Yep, case closed.

Any emails that I have received from Carnival that weren't dealing with a booking or a payment have looked like this. I have had itinerary changes as well as a refund of fuel surcharges that have come like this.

Two things.

1) This one actually concerned a booking.

2) Spammers are gonna love ya.

Archived