Destiny cancelled sailing on 2/18, and it failed to notify me until I found out today

newnew68

Contacting 5000 passengers ( this drydock effects 2 sailings, doesn't it?) and rebooking or handling each passengers request takes time. There are only so many PVPS to handle not only new requests, but the reschedule as well. You can be sure its not a 5 minute phone call.

If you have a TA, I'm wondering why THEY didn't contact you by telephone and say 'why didn't you call me about this?'

We knew that the Destiny would be cancelled in January for the Feb 18 cruise because it was stated on the boat....so they did know way in advance.

Carnival is perhaps the worst of the big names out there.

I was also booked on the Destiny through my travel agent and they notified me of the cancelation the day it was canceled. My flight and hotel, both non-refundable were already booked. I found a cruise out of Tampa on the Inspiration for the same dates and changed my flight, which was less than $200 to get changed, and I now have a room credit for the flight change plus the $75 credit for booking another cruise. I was lucky enough to get Expedia to credit me for the hotel room I had booked.

At first I was just sick about the cancelation but went to work and got everything changed and now I'm ready to cruise!

rdy4fun, you should right a book called, "How to make lemonade out of lemons" instead of the "I know how to whine" book the OP has written. This answer is absolutely perfect. Thank you.

I'm sorry to hear that this happened to you. It would be nice for Carnival to not just email, but also call. I much prefer personal contact. I don't blame you at all for doing some venting here, and maybe even typing stuff that you don't entirely mean. Almost all of us do that. Time off work is hard to arrange for most of us, so when something like this happens, Carnival should try harder (phone call) to let the people know as quickly as possible. On my Elation cruise, they had to change the itinerary 3 weeks before sailing because of hurricane damage. Unfortunately, no phone call. I found out about the change by mail, giving me a window to cancel and get a full refund. But by the time the letter arrived, it was already too late for that. I wouldn't have cancelled anyway, but anyone who wanted to wasn't told in time. I do hope you get that full $1800 back in some form or another so that you at least won't be out any money.

I agree:(

To the OP,sorry this happened. They shoulda called,emailed and even snail mailed also. They could even have an automated sysem call folks to advise of the change. There are so many ways to communicate these days.

Contacting 5000 passengers ( this drydock effects 2 sailings, doesn't it?) and rebooking or handling each passengers request takes time. There are only so many PVPS to handle not only new requests, but the reschedule as well. You can be sure its not a 5 minute phone call.

If you have a TA, I'm wondering why THEY didn't contact you by telephone and say 'why didn't you call me about this?'

How did they contact people before email was so "mainstream"?

OP, have u booked another cruise for the same time period to 'mesh' w/ur air dates?

you are certainly entitled to feel however you want in this situation. Even if I did get the email i'd be po'd @ Carnival for what appears to be letting a maintenance issue fester to point where the ship needed to be drydocked. although i'll admit to being glad it was taken care of before my sailing:o.

I really doubt this came of out the blue; despite CCL indicating the issues back in Nov/Dec of 09 were unrelated to this specific event.:rolleyes: If CCL knew (earlier than announced via the emails, etc.) they were going to schedule a drydock; i sure hope they let everybody know ASAP so peeps could try & salvage their vacations jik they were locked into specific time period.

Part 1.

Cheerleaders never cease to amaze me in their defense of (whichever) cruiseline. The cruiselines are never wrong.

Carnival flat screwed up here. Period, end of story. gtalum said it best:

The problem is that no business should rely solely on email to communicate critical information to its customers. It's simply bad business practice and bad customer service. Carnival has his phone number and address (and those of the TA, if the OP used one), and for critical information like this they should use every contact available.

But let's give in and say email is a viable way. If I had received an email from

IRBFAXESTAG
with a subject line that read
ESTA Notification
I would have immediately deleted it, much like those that get to my Junkbox informing me of my lucky lottery winnings (G'ma's ridiculous assertions aside). Anything wrong with a plain email addee from Carnival with a subject line reading something like: IMPORTANT INFORMATION ABOUT YOUR UPCOMING DESTINY CRUISE. Doesn't seem particularly onerous to me.

Part 2. Besides the notification process, I don't see what the OP's problem is with how Carnival is making it right.

Ah' date=' but everyone who books has invested a lot of money for their cruise. You'd think they'd be interested in checking things out once in a while and opening email from the cruise company.

I've always been notified of changes, cancellations, reroutings, date changes, etc...by email.....no problem.

But, I'm a grown-up. I check things out frequently, keep up to date on the cruise website and pay attention to communications sent me.[/quote']

How do they update people like my mother who does not have an email address?

:confused:

This was a tad different in as much as you were never even contacted to begin with. But I'm glad it worked out for you :) As it should for OP given that he has lost no money on anything other than maybe the hotel, assuming it was pre-paid, no refund (as most hotels only hold a credit card # to guarantee the res. not charge anything to it until arrival). While a PIA, he is out nothing as he will get a full refund on the cruise or another cruise with those funds with a $75 OBC. It's not like they cancelled it and said, "Hate it, no refund for you fella."

How do you know he was never contacted? Maybe his IP dumped the email.:rolleyes:

The OP is not a PIA at all. He is what appears to be a relatively inexperienced cruiser who is extremely frustrated, as we all would be if our plans blew up on us. He came here looking for assistance and a place to vent.

Because I was trying to register on line and it says reservation cancelled. I can not believe it! We worked so hard to get the vacation together and already paid $1800 for the flight and hotel. I called them in shock, and they will only give a $75 credit if one books a future cruise. .

Is it possible to book space on another ship leaving from the same port ?

Yes, a similar experience. I was booked on Carnival Elation, and my sailing was cancelled since it was the date chosen for the repositioning via Panama Canal to California. Carnival made a corporate decision to move the ship, and pulled the passenger manifest that day to create a list of those who needed to be contacted. Unfortunately no one cared to advise the call center that same day, or remove the ability to book that date online, and reservations continued for three additional days.

I only learned about the change because of CruiseCritic when someone mentioned they booked the Panama Canal voyage and they were so excited. It seemed like a sailing very close to what I had . . . not fully realizing just how 'close' it truly was. Aaack!

When I called later to see what needed to be done for rescheduling, I was informed I was not booked on the original sailing, despite being paid in full at time of booking. They were insistent I was confused. After more than a week of multiple calls and faxes to prove I was not a doofus, they realized their error (and it affected all pasengers booked over those three days).

The situation was resolved by someone way high on the 'food chain' at CCL, and she admitted they were glad I'd called and pushed the issue, since we had all fallen through a corporate crack. She could also see the notes taken on their end from my multiple calls, and was aware what I was repeately being told. A mirror image of the notes I'd been taking too.

In the end, the guest recovery done by CCL was very helpful. Very. :)

See my experience detailed above.

This was a tad different in as much as you were never even contacted to begin with. But I'm glad it worked out for you :) As it should for OP given that he has lost no money on anything other than maybe the hotel, assuming it was pre-paid, no refund (as most hotels only hold a credit card # to guarantee the res. not charge anything to it until arrival). While a PIA, he is out nothing as he will get a full refund on the cruise or another cruise with those funds with a $75 OBC. It's not like they cancelled it and said, "Hate it, no refund for you fella."

How do you know he was never contacted? Maybe his IP dumped the email.:rolleyes:

The OP is not a PIA at all. He is what appears to be a relatively inexperienced cruiser who is extremely frustrated, as we all would be if our plans blew up on us. He came here looking for assistance and a place to vent.

If you read Don's note, the one I quoted, you will see that he was never contacted AT ALL because they apparently didn't even have him on the manifest.

Sorry if that was misconstrued, I didn't mean the OP was a PIA, just that the situation is a PIA, BUT can be fixed. It's not like he is out any money. :rolleyes:

I am sorry about your vacation. I really am. Everhone on this board knows how much time, MONEY and sweat go into planning vacations like this. HOWEVER everything else you say afterwards are words from someone who is bitter. Everyone who reads these boards knows that the Destiny has had problems for awhile now. Obviously at one point or another they were going to have to fix it. Someone's cruise was going to be affected. I'm sorry about your vacation and I hope down the road when you have a clearer vision of this you will realize that Carnival did its best. You are going to get a full refund and other perks. That does not make up for a lost vacation in any way but it also does not add up to class action lawsuits.

I truly hope your next vacation is completely and utterly awesome.

Paul...you have no heart.........I cannot believe that you posted this, you should be ashamed. The person's vacation is ruined and you basically say oh well?

Damn dude.

Cruiserdad3boys,

I just checked and I do have a heart. Thank you for being concerned.

If you don't mind, please quote where I said 'oh well?' You may summarize my comments as such, but that doesn't make it so.

Do you work for Carnival? Seems like it.

cruiserdad3boys,

No. I do not.

I do view the cancellation of the cruises as being a tough call for Carnival and one not without risks of alienating their customers. Should they have continued to sail as scheduled and cancel or detour as needed when repairs were needed or should they have booked dry dock time and fixed it? Many people who were on detoured cruises stated they wished Carnival would fix the problem. Most people who were booked on the cancelled cruises were pleased that action was being taken.

In the OPs case, they modified his cruise, offered him OBC, and offered to pay for airfare change costs. If he declined to cruise he could receive a full refund as well as the future cruise OBC and airfare cost adjustments. The fact that I believe that is sufficient makes you think I work for Carnival?

Please understand that not everyone believes a handout or bribe is required any time something happens out of the ordinary. You may choose to damn me or mildly insult me, but give it some thought before you do because as it stands you simply amuse me. ;)

Paul owns CCL. Best you get on his good side.

MrPete,

Shhh, don't tell him that. He's suspicious enough already. :)

How do they update people like my mother who does not have an email address?

:confused:

My PVP has 3 contact numbers (my cell, DH's cell, and a home number) to contact us. As well as a home address. If you don't provide an email address, they use the other contact info. Edited to say, MY PVP uses the other contact info. Cannot guarantee that a TA or other PVP is as good as mine :D

Not necessarily. Firewalls can block the outgoing notification that a message was read and e-mail clients can be set to not send the notification.

For something as important as this, they should have used multiple methods to make sure everyone was notified. Every contact method has it pitfalls and Carnival should have gone the extra mile to make sure everyone was notified.

grampasgrumpy,

Firewalls can block simple read receipts being sent by some email programs, but they can not block web based email read receipts nor can they block determination of whether the email was opened by Carnival's IT department. Email is not a one way road from point A to point B.

As for how they contacted the OP, have you considered that his email may have been their only available method of contact? He stated he found out the cruise was cancelled when he registered on Carnival.com so it's unlikely they had funpass info or any additional contact info for him. Should they look him up in the White Pages? Send a messenger?

grampasgrumpy,

Firewalls can block simple read receipts being sent by some email programs, but they can not block web based email read receipts nor can they block determination of whether the email was opened by Carnival's IT department. Email is not a one way road from point A to point B.

As for how they contacted the OP, have you considered that his email may have been their only available method of contact? He stated he found out the cruise was cancelled when he registered on Carnival.com so it's unlikely they had funpass info or any additional contact info for him. Should they look him up in the White Pages? Send a messenger?

A very valid point, Paul. However, my PVP always makes sure I have numerous contact numbers and addresses (physical and email) just in case. I would assume a reputable TA would seek the same. It would help to know who the OP booked with and if that person asked for additional contact info. Not sure if the website asks, if booked that way. I've never booked a cruise through Carnival.com.

grampasgrumpy,

I would be ticked as well but if the OP would have checked CC before .. I dunno if they did.. they would have found multiple posts regarding the dry dock... why NOW come to complain... I have had those funny emails from Carnival.. and have learned that I should open them or call them to inquire what they are... Sorry OP.. I hope you got it all worked out in your favour..

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1130070&highlight=destiny+drydock

Everyone keeps saying "maybe he didn't put in other info" but when you BOOK you have to list a phone number. If you book online it's a required area of the form. If you book with a PVP they ask you (because they just fill out the form for you) and if you book with a TA I'm more than sure they would require that info.

I'm assuming that since he says he was "registering" with carnival that perhaps he was booked with a TA and as such, YES his TA dropped the ball not Carnival.

I think the worst of it is that these problems weren't fixed for real earlier. I know that carnival doesn't want to lose profits by cancelling cruises ANY time but it really should have been done months before.

My PVP has 3 contact numbers (my cell, DH's cell, and a home number) to contact us. As well as a home address. If you don't provide an email address, they use the other contact info. Edited to say, MY PVP uses the other contact info. Cannot guarantee that a TA or other PVP is as good as mine :D

you would think they would do both since it is not uncommon for important email to be filtered out as spam....and some like g-mail pre-filters and you never see most of the spam. :eek:

My daughter's high school principal calls us about one a week with an announcement. The school has a robo-calling machine which auto-dials and plays a recording. If you don't answer, your voice mail gets the recording.

I know for a fact these machines are cheap. Even free - I have a PBX called Asterisk at home, and it can robo-call if I wanted it to! It was free (except for my time setting it up.)

So, my point is, why on earth would Carnival not robo-call everyone on the sailing that was cancelled in addition to email?

Now, if they did try to call and the OP does not have a phone or does not have voice mail, I have no sympathy at all!

My daughter's high school principal calls us about one a week with an announcement. The school has a robo-calling machine which auto-dials and plays a recording. If you don't answer, your voice mail gets the recording.

I know for a fact these machines are cheap. Even free - I have a PBX called Asterisk at home, and it can robo-call if I wanted it to! It was free (except for my time setting it up.)

So, my point is, why on earth would Carnival not robo-call everyone on the sailing that was cancelled in addition to email?

Now, if they did try to call and the OP does not have a phone or does not have voice mail, I have no sympathy at all!

Carnival has a system that robo calls you about what time to check in at the port.

:cool:

Archived