Destiny cancelled sailing on 2/18, and it failed to notify me until I found out today

newnew68

Contacting 5000 passengers ( this drydock effects 2 sailings, doesn't it?) and rebooking or handling each passengers request takes time. There are only so many PVPS to handle not only new requests, but the reschedule as well. You can be sure its not a 5 minute phone call.

If you have a TA, I'm wondering why THEY didn't contact you by telephone and say 'why didn't you call me about this?'

OMG! I WONDER HOW ALL OF THIS WAS TAKEN CARE OF BEFORE EVERYONE HAD A PC?

that's ridiculous!

I'm not going on this cruise and know about this for at least two weeks.

well Mr pete, i'm not sailing on it...and I STILL DON'T KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT IT!

but not everyone has 10k posts, and time to sit in front of a pc all day. some people don't even have a computer believe it or not.

well Mr pete, i'm not sailing on it...and I STILL DON'T KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT IT!

but not everyone has 10k posts, and time to sit in front of a pc all day. some people don't even have a computer believe it or not.

Nope, but 4 posts a day over ten years hardly constitutes all day long.

When I fly, I also confirm my flights. And I don't need a computer to do so.

I am sorry about your vacation. I really am. Everhone on this board knows how much time, MONEY and sweat go into planning vacations like this. HOWEVER everything else you say afterwards are words from someone who is bitter. Everyone who reads these boards knows that the Destiny has had problems for awhile now. Obviously at one point or another they were going to have to fix it. Someone's cruise was going to be affected. I'm sorry about your vacation and I hope down the road when you have a clearer vision of this you will realize that Carnival did its best. You are going to get a full refund and other perks. That does not make up for a lost vacation in any way but it also does not add up to class action lawsuits.

I truly hope your next vacation is completely and utterly awesome.

I read these boards alot....i have no clue what is going on with the destiny, or even my up and coming ship the liberty....HOWEVER, AFTER THE OP'S POSTING, I WILL KEEP A WATCHFULL EYE!

I thank the OP for his/her post.

Anyone who visits these boards regularly would know if something affected their ship... people get really interested in their ship before a cruise.

Still, most passengers do not visit these boards. So the issue the OP had was why Carnival did not notify them.

I think Carnival tried to notify them, or notified their TA. If the TA did not pass that info along, then the gripe is with the TA and not with Carnival.

I wonder how many of these "bargain" online TAs have no system in place to handle passing word back from the cruise line to the customer? Or maybe they are so short staffed that things fall through the cracks and service suffers.

If the OP booked directly with Carnival, they should have been notified. If Carnival sent an email and it never made it to the OP's inbox, Carnival's not to blame. But they should also have called. But only if they booked directly with Carnival.

grampasgrumpy,

Firewalls can block simple read receipts being sent by some email programs, but they can not block web based email read receipts nor can they block determination of whether the email was opened by Carnival's IT department. Email is not a one way road from point A to point B.

As for how they contacted the OP, have you considered that his email may have been their only available method of contact? He stated he found out the cruise was cancelled when he registered on Carnival.com so it's unlikely they had funpass info or any additional contact info for him. Should they look him up in the White Pages? Send a messenger?

Not everybody uses webmail. Firewalls can block the outgoing data that indicates a message was opened, whether it originates from the client application, or code Carnival puts in the e-mail. It all depends on the default settings of the firewall, or the customized settings if a user changed them. A firewall can make it a one way street.

A primitive form of a firewall that can do what I described is to download a message to your client e-mail application, unplug the internet connection, and then open the message. The e-mail will open, you can read it, and the sender will never know you read it. Software firewalls can block that outgoing data just as securely as unplugging the cable and the sender would never know.

You said if they wanted to they could know if it was read...that is not true. There are scenarios that would prevent them knowing.

Not everybody uses webmail. Firewalls can block the outgoing data that indicates a message was opened, whether it originates from the client application, or code Carnival puts in the e-mail. It all depends on the default settings of the firewall, or the customized settings if a user changed them. A firewall can make it a one way street.

A primitive form of a firewall that can do what I described is to download a message to your client e-mail application, unplug the internet connection, and then open the message. The e-mail will open, you can read it, and the sender will never know you read it. Software firewalls can block that outgoing data just as securely as unplugging the cable and the sender would never know.

You said if they wanted to they could know if it was read...that is not true. There are scenarios that would prevent them knowing.

grampasgrumpy,

Interesting theory, but not based on fact. How does an email server receive notice to send the email to the program if it's all one way? Primitive connection or not, it's not a one way transfer of information. Email is not constantly streaming information just waiting for an open port; a request is made, data is sent, and a return notice that the date was received is then sent.

Firewall settings that could block a notice that an email was received would result in a DOS attack on the IP of the email recipient until the recipient replied to stop if your theory were correct. Your theory is not correct.

'Primitive' internet communication models known as IRC chat operated on a streaming model similar to what you think email uses, but even then a record of all who were able to view the chats was created by the server and IRC software by default logged all chats. Granted a phone conversation is a streaming event, but even the digital trace of a voice conversation can be verified.

Just curious if you believed Al Gore when he said he invented the internet? His understanding was about as deep as those who believe a firewall can block an email read determination. ;)

After I popped my popcorn and settled in to read this thread, I started thinking. Was this a legit post or a set up?? :rolleyes: The OP has only posted to this thread....so, is a set up to get the Carnival Board in an uproar or was he a lurker and finally had something to post about?? :confused: Just wondering????

Have to wonder that, too..as the OP KNEW about CC, having joined a year ago this March, but never posted until now...

UNLESS..he trolled last year as well and all his posts went poof?

No matter....there are those that have helped, those that have criticized,sympathized, and theorized...

it's been a good night!

grampasgrumpy,

Interesting theory, but not based on fact. How does an email server receive notice to send the email to the program if it's all one way? Primitive connection or not, it's not a one way transfer of information. Email is not constantly streaming information just waiting for an open port; a request is made, data is sent, and a return notice that the date was received is then sent.

Firewall settings that could block a notice that an email was received would result in a DOS attack on the IP of the email recipient until the recipient replied to stop if your theory were correct. Your theory is not correct.

'Primitive' internet communication models known as IRC chat operated on a streaming model similar to what you think email uses, but even then a record of all who were able to view the chats was created by the server and IRC software by default logged all chats. Granted a phone conversation is a streaming event, but even the digital trace of a voice conversation can be verified.

Just curious if you believed Al Gore when he said he invented the internet? His understanding was about as deep as those who believe a firewall can block an email read determination. ;)

A firewall can totally shut down all incoming and/or outgoing data, or it can be set granularly. Period. I've installed and configured several hundred of them, still do, and support them to this day.

That said, this has gotten way off topic. I only intended to point out an inaccuracy in your statement, and it IS inaccurate. I'm done.

After I popped my popcorn and settled in to read this thread, I started thinking. Was this a legit post or a set up?? :rolleyes: The OP has only posted to this thread....so, is a set up to get the Carnival Board in an uproar or was he a lurker and finally had something to post about?? :confused: Just wondering????

You're kidding, right.

Oh no, that's right he is a first time poster with a complaint, so it can't be legitimate or he is a troll.

Give me a break!

A firewall can totally shut down all incoming and/or outgoing data, or it can be set granularly. Period. I've installed and configured several hundred of them, still do, and support them to this day.

That said, this has gotten way off topic. I only intended to point out an inaccuracy in your statement, and it IS inaccurate. I'm done.

grumpygrampas,

I am an EE and my former vocation was telecommunications prior to home internet use being common. The internet still functions on a basic level very much like it did two decades ago. You have installed software firewalls and I have designed many firewalls. We essentially look at firewalls from two very opposite directions and though you may feel your information is accurate, it is not.

We may disagree as to how well Carnival handled the issue, but I agree with you that we have ventured far enough off the original topic. :)

I do wish the OP well in resolving his vacation woes and hope that he finds clear skies and warm seas where ever he ends up on February 18.

Because I was trying to register on line and it says reservation cancelled. I can not believe it! We worked so hard to get the vacation together and already paid $1800 for the flight and hotel. I called them in shock, and they will only give a $75 credit if one books a future cruise. I tried to get them to get me more discount or onbroad credit for a 3 day cruise so I don't have to waste my plane tickets, but they will not issue any. First of all, if I had known about this 2 weeks ago when they claim they sent the email, I would have gotten a much better deal. Then we would done a different arrangement with our vacation that I didn't have to book a hotel for $200, and now it is going to be wasted. I can't believe they can't try other ways to inform everyone, via phone and via mail. They only sent an email! I didn't receive such an email!!! If I weren't trying to register on line, I would have shown up at the port on next Weds! I have friends who sends me email which I never receive, how can they depend on email to send such important notification?

It is so irresponsible of Carnival to "just send an email" to inform such an important notice! We all spent so much money and energy trying to put the vacation together, I can't believe it can be done so carelessly. I am very pissed off! I got their headquarter address and number, and am going to complain. Any idea and input, and similar experiences? I can't speak for everyone, does this seems right to everyone? I worked so hard to get my few days vacation together, it took so much planning and now, it all came down to this.

Hello,

I had the same thing happened to me. My friend checks the Carnival site all the time..and we found out on 1/26 that our cruise (2/18) was canceled. We took action right away..and requested a refund. We were gonna lose our airfare so we went ahead and book with RCCL: Navigator of the Seas. It sails the same exact dates. We did have to pay a bit more for the room type we wanted it. But it was so much better than losing the airfare. We are really happy with what we had now. We booked the Destiny 4 months in advanced after some long planning and hard work. We didnt want it to be a waste. We were disappointed but good thing we heard of it right away and was able to make a new booking. Carnival did not send me the email..until a week later after I found out. I was a bit disappointed in them for this too. Also...they promised me that my refund would be credit back in 3-10 days...its been 2.5 weeks..no sign of it..just called them back today..they now tell me its 3-4 weeks...no one could of given me an answer when i asked why would a rep tell me 3-10 days if they all knew in the first place it would take 3-4 weeks??..i figure it was to get me off the phone so they wouldnt have to listen to me complain..not that i was going to. I will have to give Carnival another try later...but not now!!!

I'm sorry to hear that this happened to you too. I hope you can get something work out. If you still can, check out the NOS sailing the same dates. ;)

It looks like your TA did not forward the change to you so it looks like it could be your TA's fault, not Carnivals. Contact your TA to find out what you should do!!!

I didn't use a TA, and booked directly from Carnival. I really think Carnival is responsible to inform me. Now, I decided to book on a 3 day cruise to Bahamas (where we have been just a year ago), but nevertheless, at least I won't cancel the flight. I have to waste my $200 on the priceline hotel we booked, because for the extra day in Miami, we will rent a car to go to keywest. I am annoyed that I have to book a higher price for this 3 day cruise now, because it is one week before the departure, and they won't give me any break; and I am also annoyed that I am wasting my $200 on the hotel and they are not refunding me that. I would have been more than pleased if there is any gesture to admit their mistake but I got nothing.

Hello,

I had the same thing happened to me. My friend checks the Carnival site all the time..and we found out on 1/26 that our cruise (2/18) was canceled. We took action right away..and requested a refund. We were gonna lose our airfare so we went ahead and book with RCCL: Navigator of the Seas. It sails the same exact dates. We did have to pay a bit more for the room type we wanted it. But it was so much better than losing the airfare. We are really happy with what we had now. We booked the Destiny 4 months in advanced after some long planning and hard work. We didnt want it to be a waste. We were disappointed but good thing we heard of it right away and was able to make a new booking. Carnival did not send me the email..until a week later after I found out. I was a bit disappointed in them for this too. Also...they promised me that my refund would be credit back in 3-10 days...its been 2.5 weeks..no sign of it..just called them back today..they now tell me its 3-4 weeks...no one could of given me an answer when i asked why would a rep tell me 3-10 days if they all knew in the first place it would take 3-4 weeks??..i figure it was to get me off the phone so they wouldnt have to listen to me complain..not that i was going to. I will have to give Carnival another try later...but not now!!!

I'm sorry to hear that this happened to you too. I hope you can get something work out. If you still can, check out the NOS sailing the same dates. ;)

Good for you! I wish I had found out about this on 1/26, so I can make this kind of arrangement. The cruise goes out on the same date on RC went up so much, I just could't afford it now. The cruise I am on now also went up at least 20%, but I have no choice, because I have only this time frame to take a vacation with my family. I worked so hard to have these 6 days off from work, and I wasn't going to just cancel the whole thing and stay at home for 6 days. So I had to book on Carnival again. Really, this is the reason I am pissed off, I could have done many things to rescue my vacation. Now it really leaves me with not much choice!

I didn't use a TA, and booked directly from Carnival. I really think Carnival is responsible to inform me. Now, I decided to book on a 3 day cruise to Bahamas (where we have been just a year ago), but nevertheless, at least I won't cancel the flight. I have to waste my $200 on the priceline hotel we booked, because for the extra day in Miami, we will rent a car to go to keywest. I am annoyed that I have to book a higher price for this 3 day cruise now, because it is one week before the departure, and they won't give me any break; and I am also annoyed that I am wasting my $200 on the hotel and they are not refunding me that. I would have been more than pleased if there is any gesture to admit their mistake but I got nothing.

newnew68,

Welcome back and thank you for the update. Since you booked direct with Carnival they should have had contact info for you other than email and should have called you instead of just emailing. Whether you received it is moot since you booked direct.

I've never made the drive to Key West from Miami, but I hear it's quite scenic along the way.

Everyone keeps saying "maybe he didn't put in other info" but when you BOOK you have to list a phone number. If you book online it's a required area of the form. If you book with a PVP they ask you (because they just fill out the form for you) and if you book with a TA I'm more than sure they would require that info.

I'm assuming that since he says he was "registering" with carnival that perhaps he was booked with a TA and as such, YES his TA dropped the ball not Carnival.

I think the worst of it is that these problems weren't fixed for real earlier. I know that carnival doesn't want to lose profits by cancelling cruises ANY time but it really should have been done months before.

Ok so maybe they should of done them earlier (the repairs) then someone else would of been mad! I don't think it was all about profit because if it was now or last month the ship would of been with out! But this isn't like your car when it breaks down, you can't just take the ship to a "drydock" shop and get it fixed! They tried to have it fixed a few times and it didn't work out and they decided to drydock! All in All I think this was a waste of time for the OP! There r many ships that leave out of Florida and Iam sure one of them would have a cabin! So instead of taking the time to cry around here, get on the phone and rebook u a cruise and a flight!! ;)

It happened to me too when the transatlantic I had booked on the Liberty was canceled. While I was notified eventually by Carnival, both by email and a letter, I found out first on my cruise critic roll call. The email did have "urgent" in the title. Even though carnival refunded the cruise fare, and offered to refund hotel & airfare as needed, I would hardly say I was out nothing. Months of planning, hours of research into ports, excursions, hotel, etc. My time is valuable. As for informing the customer their cruise has been canceled, the least Carnival should do is send written notice.

I don't consider starting a thread or voicing disappointment in Carnival to be "crying about it." Sorry to the OP for the lack of notice from Carnival & thanks for posting what happened to you - it may serve to alert others to keep a close eye on their booking.

This situation seems to have been analyzed and psychoanalyzed quite a bit here, but I'm happy to hear that you were able to get something worked out, even if you could've gotten something better if you knew earlier. Have a great trip, and make the most of out of it! I've had things beyond my control that forced me to make trip changes too (though not this big), and I try to roll with the punches and make the most of out of it. It's easier to do that when you've got a forum like cruisecritic to vent about your frustrations.

I am guessing that the OP might not be an experienced traveler. It really doesn't take a lot of time to keep an eye on what is going on.

It is not new news that the Destiny has been having a lot of mechanical problems. That information has been out there for quite some time. As such, I would think that anybody booking a cruise on that ship would be paying close attention to any news about this ship. :rolleyes:

OP - Yes it sucks that your vacation didn't take place as planned but sometimes these things happen. Just think about how you would feel if you boarded the ship and it broke down during your cruise. You would be back here complaining that there should be a class action suit against Carnival for operating a defective vessel. :rolleyes:

I am guessing that the OP might not be an experienced traveler. It really doesn't take a lot of time to keep an eye on what is going on.

It is not new news that the Destiny has been having a lot of mechanical problems. That information has been out there for quite some time. As such, I would think that anybody booking a cruise on that ship would be paying close attention to any news about this ship. :rolleyes:

OP - Yes it sucks that your vacation didn't take place as planned but sometimes these things happen. Just think about how you would feel if you boarded the ship and it broke down during your cruise. You would be back here complaining that there should be a class action suit against Carnival for operating a defective vessel. :rolleyes:

He would get a 10 day cruise instead if that happened.:D

Steve

A month or so ago, due to work constraints, I had to cancel cruise to hawaii & rebook a shorter, replacement cruise. I did do final research here as to many lines/ships, including the Destiny. fyi, a search only revealed reports of missed ports in Nov/Dec. MY PVP said issues weren't related. I talked to other agents @ CCL & a couple TAs, all said the same thing. Right after i booked problems went up a notch. My PVP still insists it's a 'new' development that caused the drydock.:rolleyes:

Naturally, everybody should reconfirm travel arrangements several times before depature date. But should you really have to keep tabs on a cruiseline to make sure their ships are operating properly? IMO, it's both the guests' & the responsiblity of the provider to own up to mechanical issues on a ship & then send notice of cancellations to guest

If Carnival can have a PVP call you after you check some cruise prices on Carnival.com while "logged in" (one of the creepiest sales tactics I've encountered - big brother IS watching), then they can bloody well call when your cruise is cancelled! Add to this that a robo call could have been set up - they have zero excuse!

All the Carnival cheerleaders on here are down right hilarious! Carnival dropped the ball here plain and simple.

As for those e-mails? There is no excuse in this day and age to not have Carnival Destiny somewhere in the subject! I too almost deleted some itinerary changes! Face the facts people - Carnival's e-mails on bookings look like spam!

To the OP - I am glad you got something worked out. You have every right to want to vent about this.

If Carnival can have a PVP call you after you check some cruise prices on Carnival.com while "logged in" (one of the creepiest sales tactics I've encountered - big brother IS watching), then they can bloody well call when your cruise is cancelled! Add to this that a robo call could have been set up - they have zero excuse!

All the Carnival cheerleaders on here are down right hilarious! Carnival dropped the ball here plain and simple. It's not cheerleading to assume that an adult would pay attention to business.... A couple thousand people managed to "get the word" through the process.Those who didn't goofed up.

As for those e-mails? There is no excuse in this day and age to not have Carnival Destiny somewhere in the subject! I too almost deleted some itinerary changes! Face the facts people - Carnival's e-mails on bookings look like spam! None I've received have led me to think "spam"... Of course, I keep track......

To the OP - I am glad you got something worked out. You have every right to want to vent about this.

Vent? Yes. Blame Carnival? No.

Archived