We might need to include 3rd on 4/3 cruise

Details

We may wish to include our 27 year old daughter in our upcoming April cruise. We are thinking of getting her an inside cabin instead of sleeping on sofa bed in our mini suite. Can anyone tell us the "best time" to book this? Will prices fall in final month? The single supplement charge is huge and we are trying to save some money if possible. Thanks in advance......

March and April are spring break months. I would doubt that the prices will go any lower than they are right now. In fact, I would double check to make sure there is still an inside stateroom available. And keep one other thing in mind, the ship has a maximum number of passengers for 3rd and 4th berths, and even though you have a sofa bed in your stateroom, once that maximum number is reached, they will not add more passengers to your stateroom at any price. I wouldn't wait very long before checking into this one.

Princess seems to fill most of her ships, despite the bad economy. I would definitely book soon to avoid disappointment. By the way, we have taken our young adult dtr with us on cruises and all shared a mini suite and it has worked out fine, plenty of room.

Are you talking about next April (2011)?

You are going over SpringBreak. If you are going on a 7 night cruise, I would go ahead and book her and watch prices. If prices goes down before final payment, you can get a price reduction (be careful who you book with as some charge for price changes).

No, I'm going on this cruise this April, 2010. As the price for a single supplement for an interior was quoted to be $300 more than adding her as a third person in our mini, I was thinking this would be money well spent. However, previous poster said that third person in a mini is "fine". I just don't know what to do. Thanks for your response.

No, I'm going on this cruise this April, 2010. As the price for a single supplement for an interior was quoted to be $300 more than adding her as a third person in our mini, I was thinking this would be money well spent. However, previous poster said that third person in a mini is "fine". I just don't know what to do. Thanks for your response.
If you don't mind sharing a cabin with your daughter and aren't concerned about privacy issues, it should be fine. You have a larger bathroom with a full tub and a separate living area with a 2nd TV, couch, table and chair. There is no curtain or divider between the areas, however, so if you relish your privacy, the $399 might be worth the expense.

I hope you do realize that final payment date passed a month ago?

I was the poster who said it worked out fine for us, and I still think so. There is plenty of room in a mini suite for 3 people, even with the bed opened up, and no problem accessing the balcony. It is a full size sofa, so it was comfortable if she felt like a little relaxing during the day, and she said she slept well at night. It's true, there is a lack of privacy and there is no curtain or divider between the sleeping and sitting areas. But this wasn't an issue for the 3 of us --- she wasn't in the cabin with us all the time, she enjoyed spending some time off on her own around the ship at MUTS, the nightclub, some of the daytime activities. We enjopyed having her with us, she lives in NYC so we don't see as much of her as we'd like. But it all depends on what you think will work for you --- one size doesn;t fit all, as they say.

I was the poster who said it worked out fine for us, and I still think so. There is plenty of room in a mini suite for 3 people, even with the bed opened up, and no problem accessing the balcony. It is a full size sofa, so it was comfortable if she felt like a little relaxing during the day, and she said she slept well at night. It's true, there is a lack of privacy and there is no curtain or divider between the sleeping and sitting areas. But this wasn't an issue for the 3 of us --- she wasn't in the cabin with us all the time, she enjoyed spending some time off on her own around the ship at MUTS, the nightclub, some of the daytime activities. We enjopyed having her with us, she lives in NYC so we don't see as much of her as we'd like. But it all depends on what you think will work for you --- one size doesn;t fit all, as they say.

Our daughter is currently unemployed, but looking. She has a somewhat promising interview this Thursday. I'm just reluctant to book anything right now. I do think we will wait and take your suggestion of a "third in the room". It won't be a "big deal" for my husband and I. I just wish her to "enjoy life" at this point in time. I know our DD will keep herself busy and not lack for companionship. I do appreciate your reply. Her HAPPINESS will be OUR HAPPINESS!!!

Warmly,

Diane

If you want to add her, do it ASAP. Remember that some sailings (and especially those over crowded spring breaks) are capacity controlled. Even though your mini has bedding for a third person, if there are capacity restrictions, you will not be able to add her.

Cruise lines do this when there are a lot of third and fourth passengers already booked in cabins. I have many families on capacity controlled summer sailings already and these are not the very popular sailings either.

Princess has not had a problem filling their ships due to the economy that I've seen. I've seen many sailings far in advance that are sold out. Also, many people book in the last two months, so what appears wide open one day could be closed up the next, especially when Princess starts shifting around passengers in Guarantee cabins.

I say this not to scare you, but do book her as soon as you can. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

I started this thread three weeks ago or so. We finally booked our daughter's inside cabin yesterday. The price had gone down $500 since I initially inquired with our online TA. In this case, it has paid to wait. TA told me he had never seen an Easter cruise this cheap for a category K (inside guaranteed). I still hope that ships will one day offer "single" rooms. I do appreciate all the help.

Archived