Question Re: CPAP Machines & Ship Water

AuntieBarb

Clueless at this point if we'll have any difficulty locating distilled water in Barcelona for our Med cruise (and prefer not to transport it on our flight), so.........

Has anyone here used the ship's water in their CPAP machines? Any feedback pro or con?

Barb, I have used ship's water with every cruise except for my first one. After that I found no residue in the humidifier and no odor in the water. The process of reverse osmosis desalinization is supposed to be as good and effective as distilled. Don't forget the power strip and extention cord. My best to Uncle Paulie.

Clueless at this point if we'll have any difficulty locating distilled water in Barcelona for our Med cruise (and prefer not to transport it on our flight), so.........

Has anyone here used the ship's water in their CPAP machines? Any feedback pro or con?

If you come over to the disabilities cruising board (on this site), you'll find lots of people who use CPAP machines..and the ships water..without difficulty. YOu might want to call your machines manufacturer, but most folks report that, at least for the week or two of their cruise, it's not an issue.

"Distilled water is water that has virtually all of its impurities removed through distillation. Distillation involves boiling the water and then condensing the steam into a clean container, leaving most if not all solid contaminants behind."

And...

"The desalination process on a cruise ship uses either flash evaporators or osmosis. Flash evaporators boil sea water and re-condense the steam vapor, producing fresh drinking water. This method is similar to the natural water cycle, where sea water is heated by the sun, rises as steam to form clouds, and then falls back to earth as rain. The second method, osmosis, filters sea water through a fine membrane to separate pure water from salt and other minerals. Cruise ships do not desalinate water near ports or close to land, because coastal waters are the most contaminated."

Sounds pretty similar. I'd use the ships water rather than transport distilled. I'm sure this has to be a pretty common situation.

Barb, While travelling thru hotels, I have comfortably used bottled water after checking the labels to rull out added minerals/vitamins. sometimes natural spring water is easier to use. After flying to your destination, check the bottled water at the airport, they are usually made by coca cola.

"Distilled water is water that has virtually all of its impurities removed through distillation. Distillation involves boiling the water and then condensing the steam into a clean container, leaving most if not all solid contaminants behind."

And...

"The desalination process on a cruise ship uses either flash evaporators or osmosis. Flash evaporators boil sea water and re-condense the steam vapor, producing fresh drinking water. This method is similar to the natural water cycle, where sea water is heated by the sun, rises as steam to form clouds, and then falls back to earth as rain. The second method, osmosis, filters sea water through a fine membrane to separate pure water from salt and other minerals. Cruise ships do not desalinate water near ports or close to land, because coastal waters are the most contaminated."

Sounds pretty similar. I'd use the ships water rather than transport distilled. I'm sure this has to be a pretty common situation.

Frequently (as is the case with CPAP machines) distilled water is required because it contains no minerals. According to this link, ships add minerals back in after desalination.

http://ezinearticles.com/?How-Cruise-Ships-Make-Fresh-Water&id=1781431

Frequently (as is the case with CPAP machines) distilled water is required because it contains no minerals. According to this link, ships add minerals back in after desalination.

http://ezinearticles.com/?How-Cruise-Ships-Make-Fresh-Water&id=1781431

I put less than no stock in the validity of that article. The costs, and potential liability of adding things back to the water is astronomical. The chemicals would have to be carried and the equipment, which is massive would have to be installed. That one needs to go into the urban myth category.

I put less than no stock in the validity of that article. The costs, and potential liability of adding things back to the water is astronomical. The chemicals would have to be carried and the equipment, which is massive would have to be installed. That one needs to go into the urban myth category.

Yes, I suppose we're free to pick and choose what we believe.

What do you think the writer of the article's motivation is to mislead?

If by chance they do add minerals back in, would a Brita filter pitcher help? That would be easier (i.e. lighter) than packing water. In Las Vegas, we have horrible water (leaves a white film on everything) so we drink bottled water, but I use Brita water for my coffee maker (Keurig, but wish it was Lavazza) and it seems to be fine.

We understand why the manufacturer insists distilled water be used, but we are satisfied with reports of successfully using the ship's water without harm, especially from fellow cruisers we've come to know here. Thanks again for your feedback!

Barb, While travelling thru hotels, I have comfortably used bottled water after checking the labels to rull out added minerals/vitamins. sometimes natural spring water is easier to use. After flying to your destination, check the bottled water at the airport, they are usually made by coca cola.

Thanks Eileen! Who knows? We may luck out and find distilled anyways, but the alternatives seem to suffice in the short term.

UnclePaulie sends his hellos!

Thank you! I'll mention that to Paul; not sure he knows that can be done.

I should add...I travel with an older model..(separate humidifier component)..so it is not a problem...BUT . some newer models are one piece..and unless heating element can be turned off non water use may not be an option..

I should add...I travel with an older model..(separate humidifier component)..so it is not a problem...BUT . some newer models are one piece..and unless heating element can be turned off non water use may not be an option..

This is so true regarding the heating element. If it is a one piece model, the heater will start to smell like it is burning. Not a nice way to wake up. On the other hand, if my DH is up early and cooking Kielbasy, the smell of that wakes me shockingly. Not my favorite. But BACON, I wake up with a smile. The smell shoots up my nose at 18 pounds per square inch. (?)

• 1 month later...

Will be 1st time traveling with CPAP machine...heard you guys mention there is only one outlet in the cabin...is it a 3 prong? I had taken your advice about power strip and extension cord. Got them just wondering about the plug. Appreciate your help.

Will be 1st time traveling with CPAP machine...heard you guys mention there is only one outlet in the cabin...is it a 3 prong? I had taken your advice about power strip and extension cord. Got them just wondering about the plug. Appreciate your help.

Yes, the American and European outlet support the third ground prong in the cabin. Its okay to use a plug without the third ground prong on a ship just as you would do at home. Just like its okay to use a plug without the third ground prong with a power strip that supports one.

However, the American shaver outlet in the bath room doesn't support the third prong. Every shaver I know come with only two prongs.

What is not okay or safe is to plug a three prong plug into an outlet without support for the third prong. Some unwise people will attempt to cut off/remove the third ground prong of a plug. If an electrical device comes with a three prong plug, its designed to be used that way...

Archived