Carnival Just Got To Me

zerooveride

Look, I don't want to go through the hassle of the chargeback. I guess I am just miffed on the principal of the thing. If I buy something in the store and the price drops, the store gives me the difference. If I book my flight on my carrier of choice, JetBlue, if the price ever drops they give me a credit.

If anyone knows of anyone I can call or e-mail that will make it right, please let me know.

That's not how it works unfortunately. It's different from the airlines. The contract terms are on their website. I guess they could make you sign an affidavit that said you read it before they let you book, but would you have read it? You forked over a thousand bucks, or more, to some magoo who is making little more than minimum wage, and you're upset that they gave you a bad piece of info that is going to cost you sixty bucks? And not all stores honor price drops. The juicy ribeye that I grilled on the Weber tonight costs $7.99 a pound yesterday. But even if it wasn't in my belly, I couldn't take it back to Publix tomorrow because it's now on sale for $5.99 a pound. Cut your losses, dude. Read the contract and enjoy your cruise.

Look, I don't want to go through the hassle of the chargeback. I guess I am just miffed on the principal of the thing. If I buy something in the store and the price drops, the store gives me the difference. If I book my flight on my carrier of choice, JetBlue, if the price ever drops they give me a credit.

If anyone knows of anyone I can call or e-mail that will make it right, please let me know.

zerooveride, unfortunately, I think at this point your best option is to keep calling Carnival and explaining the situation calmly (I'm not inferring that you haven't been calm already), and hope you can finally get someone with a sympathetic ear. I see you've cruised on Carnival before...hopefully you will eventually get someone who values you as a past guest and will do something to help you.

Good luck. Let us know what the final outcome is when it happens.

Of course it is illegal to record a call without letting the person on the other end know they are being recorded, So maybe that would not be the wise course either?:rolleyes:

It depends on the jurisdiction. In some only one party needs to know. Even so, more than likely the caller was informed by the cruise line's automated system that the call "might" or "will" be recorded. In that case both parties know that the call might be recorded - no crime committed.

Of course it is illegal to record a call without letting the person on the other end know they are being recorded, So maybe that would not be the wise course either?:rolleyes:

That's not always the case. In a lot of states, Louisiana included, it IS legal to record a telephone conversation, as long as ONE of the parties is aware that it's being recorded.

It's NOT legal for the call to be recorded if at least one of the parties isn't aware. For example, I can record every phone call I make or receive, legally, because I am aware that it's being done. However, I can't record a phone call made by someone else on my phone without their knowledge.

Same thing here in Texas...as long as ONE of the parties is aware the call is being recorded it is legal.

Regarding call monitoring . . . .

I look at it as though Carnival gives that permission right up front. :)

No matter if you press option 2 or 3, the first words you hear are, "This call may be monitored or recorded for quality assurance".

Doesn't define 'who'. Just defines 'why'.

I want quality assured when I call CCL (and have multiple situations of that not happening), so I do record my calls to/from them. It has come in handy quite a number of times, as well as allowing me to complete my calls without being so wrapped up in note-taking. I can review it later for my own education.

Sears once proceeded to take someone to court over that identical situation (embarasing customer service on their part), and the same defense was used. Sears dropped the issue and had to pay a fine themself for their error.

That being said, I do still add "recording to a WMA" when I introduce myself on those specific calls.

Regarding call monitoring . . . .

I look at it as though Carnival gives that permission right up front. :)

No matter if you press option 2 or 3, the first words you hear are, "This call may be monitored or recorded for quality assurance".

Doesn't define 'who'. Just defines 'why'.

I want quality assured when I call CCL (and have multiple situations of that not happening), so I do record my calls to/from them. It has come in handy quite a number of times, as well as allowing me to complete my calls without being so wrapped up in note-taking. I can review it later for my own education.

Sears once proceeded to take someone to court over that identical situation (embarasing customer service on their part), and the same defense was used. Sears dropped the issue and had to pay a fine themself for their error.

That being said, I do still add "recording to a WMA" when I introduce myself on those specific calls.

what's a wma?

That's not how it works unfortunately. It's different from the airlines. The contract terms are on their website. I guess they could make you sign an affidavit that said you read it before they let you book, but would you have read it? You forked over a thousand bucks, or more, to some magoo who is making little more than minimum wage, and you're upset that they gave you a bad piece of info that is going to cost you sixty bucks? And not all stores honor price drops. The juicy ribeye that I grilled on the Weber tonight costs $7.99 a pound yesterday. But even if it wasn't in my belly, I couldn't take it back to Publix tomorrow because it's now on sale for $5.99 a pound. Cut your losses, dude. Read the contract and enjoy your cruise.

Then I wouldn't shop at Publix. Our local grocer will honor next weeks ad as will most honest retailers.

And I would also be upset that a rep from a company like Carnival is giving me false information when booking a vacation. $60 is still $60.

As others have said, there's no way it could have been an ES booking, given the late date at which it was made. But if the Carnival sales rep gave bad information, and if you have it on tape - I say go for if it is that important to you. Carnival may honor the price drop on account of the customer being told he would get this deal - worst they can say is no. You won't know unless you try.

No sense in canceling the booking - you are past final payment and into the penalty phase. Get the proof in hand, call guest relations, speak to a supervisor and keep moving it up the chain.

I would call your PVP and call them on what they said, else speak to the

supervisor. But that is your best bet in this case. I don't think you will

win a dime in this issue as it is spelled out in your contract. Even if this

recording proves this is what they said, I don't think they will give it

to as they are protected by contract which has been drafted up by

high paid lawyers .... Is this really worth $60?

Regarding airlines crediting you a drop. Not many airline tickets will give

you you $ back unless you purchased a high priced refundable rate.

If getting the bottom price one needs to purchase your fare using early

saver 5 months out. This will allow you to get the best price up to 2

days before you sail.

So I booked my Cruise on Feb. 3rd for the March 20th Dream. I got a Cove Balcony for $879. Today, less than 2 weeks after I book I see the price has dropped $60 to $819 for a Cove Balcony. When I booked I was told that if the price dropped I would receive OBC for the difference or an upgrade at my discretion. Now they are refusing either and telling me that because my cruise was booked after Janruary 4th, I am Out of Luck.

I love Carnival, but something tells me to call my bank and do a chargeback and book with someone else. I really don't want to but just want to have them make this right. If anyone knows who I might contact to get this issue resolved, please let me know. I just want them to honor what they originally told me.

I don't understand why you would do a chargeback. The gave you a price that you thought was fair and you agreed to it. Since Carnival started the early saver rates they haven't given OBC for price drops after the final payment. Apparently, the final payment date was Jan 4th. Even though you booked after that date Carnival has a policy that they will not give OBC unless you booked the early saver 5 months in advance of the cruise. Who told you that you would get an OBC? If it was a Carnival PVP or customer service rep I would contact them directly and find out why they told you you would get an OBC. Then, after you don't get any satisfactio, and you won't, ask for a supervisor and tell them what you were told. If it was a TA, then call the agency, ask for the owner and voice your complaint with them. Sorry this happened to you. Someone made a mistake somewhere, wether it was a PVP, TA or if it was you that didn't understand we don't know. Hopefully you can put this behind you, learn from the situation and move on.

We're going on the March 6th Dream sailing. I remember that my brother in law and his girlfriend booked the day after the early saver program stopped for this cruising - this was back in like October! So since your cruise is just a few weeks after ours, then the early saver program ended months ago. Therefore, if you don't book early saver, than you don't get the credit when the price drops.

I'm upset I missed that price drop! lol

I'm booked on the Dream one week after the OP. A couple of days after I booked (Early Saver rates were already gone), they added a Past Guest rate to balcony cabins. I called and got a credit for that as it was within enough time from the final payment date (which is about the time I booked).

I know when I booked, my PVP made it clear to me that I only had a few days to catch any kind of refund, due to the timing of the booking.

Since then, I have only been able to get upgrades. There have been a ton of price drops. I got my 8C bumped up to an 8N and got my 4D to a 4F to a 4S.

I think if the OP could probably get a cabin upgrade if they wait a few days. I'm not sure why but Spring Break on the Dream is not booking up as fast as I thought it would.

If you cancel your cruise and book another one do you really think you are going to find one as cheap as Carnival? I doubt it. You were happy with the price when you bought it, is $60 really worth all the hassle? I agree with some of the others who say that just because you dispute a charge doesn't mean you'll win. Carnival has a contract and they are not breaking it. Personally I don't know of any airline that adjusts the price after purchasing tickets. As for stores, you have a very small window to get the new price.

Things go on sale all the time. When you bought it you thought it was a fair price, let it go. $60 is not worth the headache.

So I booked my Cruise on Feb. 3rd for the March 20th Dream. I got a Cove Balcony for $879. Today, less than 2 weeks after I book I see the price has dropped $60 to $819 for a Cove Balcony. When I booked I was told that if the price dropped I would receive OBC for the difference or an upgrade at my discretion. Now they are refusing either and telling me that because my cruise was booked after Janruary 4th, I am Out of Luck.

I love Carnival, but something tells me to call my bank and do a chargeback and book with someone else. I really don't want to but just want to have them make this right. If anyone knows who I might contact to get this issue resolved, please let me know. I just want them to honor what they originally told me.

zerooveride - For other than Early Saver bookings which you're not) Carnival no longer gives OBC after final payment Deadline (which you're past). In this situation they're normally very good about offering/giving you an upgrade (unless there are no cabins for upgrade). This is their hard-line Policy and I don't think there's anyone going to give-in, based on verbal claims.

I suspect there may have been a mis-communication/misunderstanding when they explained various fare options (there often is) - If you're REALLY concerned, I'd go ahead and pull the phone record and carefully listen to it - if it clearly states what you understood, go for it; if not, probably end of subject?

I personally would not take a chance on that chargeback working (or not working) - it seems that the risk/reward ratio isn't worth it. ken

If you cancel your cruise and book another one do you really think you are going to find one as cheap as Carnival? I doubt it. You were happy with the price when you bought it, is $60 really worth all the hassle? I agree with some of the others who say that just because you dispute a charge doesn't mean you'll win. Carnival has a contract and they are not breaking it. Personally I don't know of any airline that adjusts the price after purchasing tickets. As for stores, you have a very small window to get the new price.

Things go on sale all the time. When you bought it you thought it was a fair price, let it go. $60 is not worth the headache.

I dont think they are talking about cancelling, they are talking about doing a charge back. (another consequence of a charge back is the merchant will still have it on his books you owe him the money unless he agreed to the charge back, so you wouldnt ever be allowed to book with them again).

I still think there is a miscommunication since the OP said he thought Early Saver rates were still being sold at the time he booked, which cant be true. All those saver this and that rates start sounding the same.

We tried to tell the OP that Carnival isnt going to give in on this, because its pretty hard to imagine a Carnival rep outright lying about this. All Carnival booking agents have to be aware after final payment when you book all rates available you cant get the lower price or OBC. This policy has been in effect over a year, so I cant imagine a Carnival rep not being aware of it.

I am with the OP on this one. If the rep told him that he would be entitled to OBC for price reductions then that is what he should get, regardless of any of Carnival's policies.

As far as details on ES, price reductions, OBC - none of this is actually in the ticket contract.

I also don't think the issue of any kind of fare reductions is mentioned on the Carnival site at all (other than ES).

This is in the contract and is pertinent:

(g) This contract constitutes the entire agreement between Carnival and Guest and supersedes all other agreements, oral or written.

Based on all this Carnival legally doesn't have to provide an OBC for price reductions even if the rep said so, but I believe that they might do something if the OP produces the recording as proof of the conversation.

Only problem is that the fare has gone up - I think.

Now if the OP didn't accept his contract online (which you need to do before you can generate e-docs) he may have other options unless restricted by the confirmation that Carnival sends out after one books.

I don't know what is in that confirmation because I booked ES and my confirmation is specific to ES and the OP's fare could not have been ES (even if he thought it was).

I am with the OP on this one. If the rep told him that he would be entitled to OBC for price reductions then that is what he should get, regardless of any of Carnival's policies.

As far as details on ES, price reductions, OBC - none of this is actually in the ticket contract.

I also don't think the issue of any kind of fare reductions is mentioned on the Carnival site at all (other than ES).

This is in the contract and is pertinent:

(g) This contract constitutes the entire agreement between Carnival and Guest and supersedes all other agreements, oral or written.

Based on all this Carnival legally doesn't have to provide an OBC for price reductions even if the rep said so, but I believe that they might do something if the OP produces the recording as proof of the conversation.

Only problem is that the fare has gone up - I think.

Now if the OP didn't accept his contract online (which you need to do before you can generate e-docs) he may have other options unless restricted by the confirmation that Carnival sends out after one books.

I don't know what is in that confirmation because I booked ES and my confirmation is specific to ES and the OP's fare could not have been ES (even if he thought it was).

OP not accepting the contract online doesn't get him out of it. Is just like the

contract you agree to with the airlines when you purchase a ticket on the

phone, TA or online.

If it were me, I'd listen to the recording to find out exactly what the PVP said. Anyone can make mistakes -- and clearly, there's some human error here. Either the PVP mis-represented another fare type as Early Saver; or, the OP misunderstood what the PVP was saying, and thought he/she was booking ES.

I would tend to give the benefit of the doubt to the PVP, as I'm sure they are trained to clearly spell out the different rates, and I doubt a PVP would claim that a passenger can book an ES rate a month and a half out.

But as I said, anyone can make mistakes. If it were me, and if my IT staff could pull the phone recording relatively easily, I'd want to listen to it to determine the source of the error.

I did ask for a Supervisor and they are still running Early Save for this cruise last time i looked.

Your statement here is why I think you are confused. Early saver for 6 day or longer cruises is 5 months out, which would have been Oct 20th for a March 20th cruise.

Here's how the Early Saver program works:

1. When you book a 3-5 day cruise three months in advance, or 6 day or longer cruise five months in advance, you are assured the lowest rate.

2. In the unlikely event that you do find a lower Carnival-advertised rate* after booking your cruise, we will honor it and adjust your cruise rate accordingly. Simply fill out the Price Protection Claim form and we'll take care of the rest. If you booked your cruise with a travel agent and need to make a Price Protection Claim, simply contact your travel agent and they will submit it for you.

Check your recording, but, It might be against the law in Florida to record someone without their knowledge. Be careful.

Do you qualify for the rate? Below is Carnival's lowest price protection FAQ. I understand being told one thing only to find out something else as this has happened to me (not carnival) but here it is in black and white.

Early Saver is a brand new promotional rate that rewards you for booking early with the absolute lowest rate. In addition, the fares are backed by a unique price protection assurance. Book your cruise now. If you later find a lower Carnival advertised fare for the same sailing and accommodations, Carnival will honor it, issuing the difference in the form of a non-refundable, non-transferable onboard credit. The policy is effective up to two business days prior to sailing. You now have even more great reasons to book early! Not only will you have the best availability of staterooms, dates, and destinations…you’re assured the lowest rate.

• How early must I make my reservation?

Early Saver is available up to 3 months prior to sailing on short cruises (5 days or shorter) and up to 5 months prior to sailing on long cruises (6 days or greater).

• How do I make an Early Saver reservation?

Contact your Travel Agent, your Personal Vacation Planner, call 1-800- Carnival or visit www.Carnival.com.

• Does Early Saver follow Carnival’s standard deposit, payment and cancellation terms?

The deposit and payment terms are the same. However, Early Saver reservations require a full non-refundable deposit per person.

• What if I need to make changes to my ship or sailing date?

Ship and sailing date changes are allowed prior to the final payment due date, subject to a $50 service fee per person, per change. Changes made after the final payment due date are subject to standard cancellation penalties.

• What is the price protection assurance feature?

If, after booking, you find a lower Carnival advertised fare, Carnival will honor it, issuing the difference in the form of a non-refundable onboard credit. The lower fare must be: i) for the same ship, sailing, stateroom category and number of guests; ii) available for booking at the time you submit your request for the lower rate; and iii) a rate you are eligible to receive, if special restrictions apply. Price protection will be subject to the prevailing fees and/or fuel supplement if applicable.

• What is a Carnival advertised fare?

A Carnival.com or Carnival advertised fare available to the general public. A Carnival advertised fare excludes group rates, membership programs, charters or other Travel Agent promotions not offered by Carnival to the general public, including but not limited to travel agent rebates.

• What should I do once I find a lower rate?

Complete a price protection claim form. If the request meets the price protection requirements, we will process your onboard credit for the fare difference and send you an email confirmation within 2 business days of your request.

• What information must be submitted for a price protection request?

• Guest(s) name
  • Sailing information
  • Available cruise fare being requested
  • Where the lower advertised fare was found (i.e.: Carnival.com)

• When can I submit a price protection request?

Carnival will accept price protection requests up to 2 business days prior to sailing.

• How many times can I submit a price protection request?

Provided that you are eligible for the lower fare, there are no restrictions to the number of price protection requests or the requested amount.

Do you qualify for the rate? Below is Carnival's lowest price protection FAQ. I understand being told one thing only to find out something else as this has happened to me (not carnival) but here it is in black and white.

I dont see how this can help the OP who said they only booked a month and a half before their cruise .. so its not early saver fare, whatever it was.

To be honest, I would drop it and just go and enjoy the cruise. You booked it within the 75 day and probably got a regular fare. No matter what the person on the line told you, it was verbal and what they said what they knew you wanted to hear. No matter what, this battle will be a losing battle. Just spend that much less money onboard the ship.

I booked the Splendor a year out and when the price suddenly dropped significantly I was told too bad so sad. It was a difference f $350. I knew when I booked that it could go down, but since there were only two cabins left in that category I did not want to risk it and lose the cabin by cancelling and rebooking. I learned book Early Saver and hope the heck the price goes down, but since I am working with a TA, they may not be keen on price drops....Even if it does drop, which it likely won't I probably wouldn't do anything unless it was significant ($50 or more).

Go enjoy, but next time, get them to confirm the information in an email.

OP, I think what you have to ask yourself at this point is if it's worth scrapping all your plans and starting over again for $120 total. It wouldn't be worth it for me to have to change vacation dates at work, change any pre-travel plans I might have for hotel,etc., change excursions booked. I know it's frustrating to have this kind of thing happen, but unless you can prove what you heard, you may be out of luck with Carnival. Their policy of no refunds/obc after final payment is well established at this point and is in writing. Your best bet seems to be pulling the recording of your call to them and going from there. Once you have that record, you may be able to find a sympathetic ear at CCL and get your obc.

Archived