Cruise Bucket List - Your Dream Cruise Before Your Die?

Dan Askin

I'm doing it this summer - I always dreamed of cruising Alaska even before I met my DH.

My DH gave me a holiday anywhere in the world as a 40th birthday present, so I chose to cruise Alaska.

OK it doesn't take a lottery win to make it come true, it takes months of hard graft to pay for it (no cheap cruises for us Brits) but it's going to happen, so my dreams are coming true already.

What a wonderful present, you will love Alaska. Alaska's beauty is amazing, enjoy it all. A few of the excursions I would recommend are the rafting trip in Juneau on the Mendenhall River, the jetboat wildlife tour from Sitka, and the awesome helicopter ride out of Juneau where we walked on the glacier- worth every penny! An Alaska cruise can be as activity filled or relaxing as you wish.

My dream cruise? First we'd take our children and grandchildren on a 7 day that they'd enjoy. Once we had them safely at home, DH and I would leave for a complete tour of the entire Caribbean. The ship would not come back into port until we were tired of it. :D

My #1 dream cruise would be the Galapagos island cruise. It seems so unreal that you could see all this untouched nature. It would be a REAL escape. I had some brochures of the National Geographic one. The islands seem amazing!!

My #2 would be a European cruise. Not London and all the tourist hotspots but the pretty places. I don't know if there is one that goes to Ireland and Scotland. But have never been and would love to see it. I have always wanted to visit Ireland. And Germany, although I doubt a cruise goes there! LOL!

As it is, I have been trying to book a Carribean cruise and that hasn't been working out. We have had illness followed by money probems. So I guess these will be just dream/bucket cruises for me.

I do hope, however, that everyone else has their Bucket cruises come true!! I love reading the posts and reviews from the people that had a great vacation. :D

What line does this?

The closest I think I've seen (and unfortunately not 100 days!) is Windstar Cruises (and they also offer a Barbados r.t. sailing). :) I love this itinerary and it's on my mini-wish list:

Saturday Marigot, St. Martin -- 7:00 PM

Sunday Basse Terre, St. Kitts 8:00 AM 5:00 PM

Monday Tortola, B.V.I. 8:00 AM 2:00 PM

Monday Jost Van Dyke, B.V.I 8:00 PM 11:59 PM

Tuesday Jost Van Dyke, B.V.I 12:00 AM 3:00 PM

Tuesday Virgin Gorda, B.V.I. 8:00 PM 11:59 PM

Wednesday Virgin Gorda, B.V.I. 12:00 AM 5:00 PM

Thursday St. Barthelemy, F.W.I. 6:00 PM 11:59 PM

Friday St. Barthelemy, F.W.I. 12:00 AM 11:00 PM

Saturday Marigot, St. Martin

I'd charter a Crystal or Seven Seas ship, and take my friends and family around the world, stopping at EVERY port that accepts cruise ships. This cruise would probably take more than 300 days I'm guessing

I'm not hard to please. A three-bedroom apartment on The World would suit me just fine. :D

http://www.aboardtheworld.com/

These are my dreams too. I would have a three bedroom on The World and then charter a smaller cruise ship for all of smaller ports. Perfect!

I'm doing it this summer - I always dreamed of cruising Alaska even before I met my DH.

My DH gave me a holiday anywhere in the world as a 40th birthday present, so I chose to cruise Alaska.

OK it doesn't take a lottery win to make it come true, it takes months of hard graft to pay for it (no cheap cruises for us Brits) but it's going to happen, so my dreams are coming true already.

Me too!!!

We have waited 13 years to have a vacation for just us (DH and I) with kiddos staying with Grandma. We booked a Regent Seven Seas cruise aboard the Navigator to Alaska. I picked the cruise that sails on 9/8 and DH will turn 50 on 9/9 and I will turn 50 on 9/10. All inclusive with free excursions, great food and pure luxury. I don't need a ton of money to have this once-in-a-lifetime experience.

My #1 dream cruise would be the Galapagos island cruise. It seems so unreal that you could see all this untouched nature. It would be a REAL escape. I had some brochures of the National Geographic one. The islands seem amazing!!

My #2 would be a European cruise. Not London and all the tourist hotspots but the pretty places. I don't know if there is one that goes to Ireland and Scotland. But have never been and would love to see it. I have always wanted to visit Ireland. And Germany, although I doubt a cruise goes there! LOL!

As it is, I have been trying to book a Carribean cruise and that hasn't been working out. We have had illness followed by money probems. So I guess these will be just dream/bucket cruises for me.

I do hope, however, that everyone else has their Bucket cruises come true!! I love reading the posts and reviews from the people that had a great vacation. :D

We had done around 20 cruises before we went on our trip that was at the top of our 'bucket list' ... Celebrity's Xpedition to the Galapagos. It is definitely 'the one'. It is a beautiful ship, and it is 'all-inclusive' ... Lindblad National Geographic is not. It was so good in fact, that as soon as I returned I booked an 'encore' trip for September. This trip is so good, however, that it virtually 'ruined' us for 'big' ship sailing. So I looked for something else on a small ship. We just did one of the Barbados itineraries on the Windstar Windsurf. Bingo! That immediately became our second favorite trip ... and we will definitely be returning to them as well.

If you want to get the flavor of these trips, the URLs to my photo albums are below in my signature line. :D

I would like to be able to invite 20 couples

to go on a 14 day Regent Seven Seas Voyager or Seven Seas Mariner Cruise

as our guests and be able to pay for their flights and cabins.

That would be a fun Bucket List.

A circumnavigation of Australia with a land tour of the interior - and throw in New Zealand too. And make it round trip from San Diego with stops in the South Seas and Hawaii.

Your dream cruise sounds like what my husband would like to do as well. :cool:

My dream has been going over and doing a Baltic Capitals cruise and a Mediterranean cruise in one vacation since I dread the long flight from and to the US :(, so once sounds better :).

Now, my ultimate pure fantasy cruise would be a chartered world cruise where dogs were allowed to come along since it'd be too heartbreaking to leave our furkid for so long.

Now, my ultimate pure fantasy cruise would be a chartered world cruise where dogs were allowed to come along since it'd be too heartbreaking to leave our furkid for so long.

Love it. We have two fur kids we would love to take. We were on one RCCL where a person brought two dogs that were 'service' animals that warned of an impending nervous system attack. :rolleyes:

A circumnavigation of Australia with a land tour of the interior - and throw in New Zealand too. And make it round trip from San Diego with stops in the South Seas and Hawaii.

My sister and brother-in-law did that one. Two back to back cruises that took about 35 days. :)

I would like to be able to invite 20 couples

to go on a 14 day Regent Seven Seas Voyager or Seven Seas Mariner Cruise as our guests and be able to pay for their flights and cabins.

That would be a fun Bucket List.

How about four couples on the Xpedition to Galapagos, and everyone pays their own way? We've got that one covered in September.

And for the person who wants to do the windjammer around the world. Try Windstar across the Atlantic. It takes two weeks with "no" stops. :eek: Then you could go B2B and put together quite an itinerary. :D

An easier one is to get on Oasis and Freedom so I can say I've been on all the classes of ships for RC.

The bigger ones are transatlantic (east to west), Mediterranean, and if I ever won the lottery, the 100 day world cruise. While that's a long time that would be the easiest way to travel the world and would be an experience of a life time.

On a side not I'm already hitting up one cruise that was on my list, Alaska, at the end of May.

I always wanted to sail one way in a suite on the QE2 (now it would have to be on the QM2), spend 2 weeks in Europe, and take the Concorde back. With the Concorde no longer flying, it will have to remain a fantasy.

I booked this EXACT trip in December 2003-QE2, Queens Grill over and Concorde return.

When they made the announcement they were shutting down Concorde, I BEGGED BA to let me use my FF tickets for any time before the shutdown. They told me to pick a date. I told them I didn't care. They called me a couple of weeks later-June 13, 2003 take it or leave it (it was Friday the 13th). So I did get to fly Concorde. Tiniest plane (especially the bathroom) you could imagine. But oh the food and booze. And getting to board out of the Concorde lounge at JFK was truly special.

for me it would be a roundtrip out of fort lauderdale, stopping at half moon cay, st eustatius, montserrat, barbados and curacao then a few ports in guatemala and costa rica before sailing through the panama canal. then it would stop on the west coast of costa rica and then go to every port in the galapagos, some ports in ecuador and peru, and then crossing the pacific to japan with several days in tokyo, a stop or two in thailand, and then visiting hawaii and alaska and the cities of vancouver, seattle and san francisco before crossing back through the canal and back home. this cruise would be on a hal ship, preferably the noordam or eurodam.

I was on last year's world cruise on the Tahitian (now Ocean) Princess and thoroughly enjoyed it. However, if I had seen this year's itinerary on the Pacific Princess I would have delayed a year as this year's cruise has five of my "bucket list" port calls...too late now!

Next year's Princess world cruise has NO cold-weather stops...no China, Japan or Korea so I find that very enticing! We had to pack "hot" weather as well as "very cold" weather clothing....it was below freezing on shore excursion to Beijing.

In no particular order of significance

1) Galapagos - but a long one - not one of those 4 days on the ship cruises;

2) Falklands, South George Island, Elephant Island, and a long trip in Antarctica;

3) The North Pole;

4) The American Northwest Passage;

5) Any long trip on a real full rigged sailboat - not Windstar but one that actually goes under sail.

When I get done with these, I can always refill the bucket.

DON

Archived