Cruise Bucket List - Your Dream Cruise Before Your Die?

Dan Askin

We completed our dream cruise aboard the Grand Princess in October-November 2009 - we got to Egypt #1 on bucket list and toured the Saqqara pyramid and the Giza pyramids (got to go inside to the burial chamber of the 2nd pyramid) and we got to Athens #2 on bucket list where we hopped on the metro and toured the Acropolis for 4 hours - a dream come true! We took 2 - 12 day cruises back to back so we cruised the Med for 24 days starting in Rome then visiting Civitavecchia, Naples twice (hopped on the train to Pompeii on second visit), Athens twice - lots to see, Corfu, Port Said, Alexandria, Istanbul, Ephesus (Kushadasi) twice, Rhodes, Santorini, Mykonos twice, Katakalon (Olympia), Dubrovnik and ended in Venice.

I am only a simple soul - full world cruise taking in all the continents. Minimum 100 days, minimum 60 ports, must include Northern Lights, Panama Canal, Suez Canal, Kiel Canal, Corinth Canal. Don't think I could persuade all my family to join me, even at no cost! so my final stipulation is No Single Supplement.

Please tell me this is possible

My cruise would be around the world with all my family. I think my brother added up and we'd be about 75 on board. We'd hit every port and some not even on the books. We'd stop at every continent. Some we might even see twice. Best of cabins and service. Champagne every night and morning. Smooth sailing and a gentle breeze. No viruises or seasickness. We'd do every excursion we've ever wanted to do and didn't have the funds for. Of course the tips would be more than the crew would make in a year.

Eileen

Ahhh --- my dream cruise(s)

1. A slow cruise around Antarctica --- starting in Valparaiso, ending in Buenos Aires.
  2. A world cruise
  3. A cruise to the Arctic during summer solstice
  4. A long cruise up to the very north of Alaska maybe all the way up to the Bering Sea. (I've taken the 7 day cruise)

That's all I can think of right now. Of course, all of these cruises would take place on Crystal Serenity where I would stay in the largest Penthouse Suite. Sigh!!

we just did part of my bucket list, took some of family and celebrated 50 anniversary on RCCL Voyager of Seas. The rest would be to do South America but leave from Florida and sail to California. Also want to do Australia and New Zealand and Hawaii and leave from USA return to USA. Is that possible.

Would love to take all my family but they wouldnt like to be on ship that long.

Those are also my two dream cruises...on the small ships....Sea of Cortes in Whale Season, Galapagos any time. I also want to take the Nieuw Amsterdam when it has been out a while..my first cruise at the age of 16 was on one of the previous ones, and it gave me the love of cruising I have today.....

Would go anywhere for any length of time if I could take my dogs.......that is the only drawback!!

• 1 month later...
My bucket list would be to own a cabin on the World by ResidenSea.

I'm with you on that. I just saw the repeat of the ResidenSea special on the travel channel. What a life!

In my real world I would like to do a Med cruise that included ports in Italy, Spain, Portugal, Greece

A circumnavigation of Australia with a land tour of the interior - and throw in New Zealand too. And make it round trip from San Diego with stops in the South Seas and Hawaii.

ya beat me to it Sparky....so I'll just go with ya on this one :D

Well I havent cruised yet but from the looks of it all my bucket lists (yes I have them divided into sections) Will have things marked off in the ports rather than a particular cruise. Lets see the craziest ones to do somwhere in a port (weither on a cruise or not) would be..

IN PORT BUCKET LIST

Ride a horse into the ocean(doing it in sept)

Go Cave Tubing (Doing it in sept)

See Mayan Ruins (doing it in Sept.)

See Machu Pichu

See Panama Canal

Hang Gliding

Ride a Speed Train

See Brazil

See Ireland

See ALaska

Go on a cruise (any kind) (doing it in sept)

Hike the highest peak on the east coast

Some of my fav ones I have already done (not with a cruise )

Sleep in a cave

Repelling Austrailian Style

See Spain

See Disneyworld

Whitewater Rafting down an Olympic Rated River

Get into a BMX Race

Ride more than 100 Coasters

Hike the second highest peak in the east coast (did it past oct)

HOWEVER the ONE cruise that may get on the list is.....

ANTARTICA

that is if I do like cruising after I do it.

Another vote for a suite on "The World." I saw a documentary about life onboard The World and could do nothing more than drool. If I were to ever get kicked off the The World, a cruise to the Galapagos Islands would definitely be the next consideration.

• 5 months later...
Like you, my husband and I are retired too. We are also lucky enough to do what we want. M

M, I suspect your ability to do this has a lot more to do with hard work, a great education and a good work ethic. Luck probably only played a small role in your success. Unless you won the lottery, that is!;)

I admire those who make things happen and then are grateful for the ability to do so.

I have 3 dream cruises.

One is to retire on a Friday and leave for the world cruise on Princess the next day. Nothing could say I am done with work than spending 107 days cruising the world. Is it a bad thing that I already have a separate savings account for this.:rolleyes: Now if I could just get DD to get a full scholarship to college, I'd be set.

Second, I would love to do a cruise through the Straits of Magellan and to the Antarctica and the up to Rio.

Bring a WWII history buff, I would also love to do a cruise that followed the US military's campaign in the Pacific during WWII. Leave Pearl Harbor, Midway, Coral Sea, Soloman Islands, Marshalls, Iwo Jima, Phillipines, Japan, etc. I saw an itinerary like this once, but in reverse. I think it would be a great way to experience the history of the Pacific theater in WWII.

Just the one endless dream.....to go on the Hebridean Princess round the Scottish islands.

First travelled on her when she was the ferry Columba, sailing between Oban and Isle of Mull. You could take short holidays on board- this is back in the '60s- and with my first salary, I was able to take my mum for her "bucket cruise".

Now her prices are out of my reach, and if I booked, it would probably be like this year, when once again the Queen has taken the whole ship.....and I'd be left curtseying on the dock.;)

jocap.

Dear Jocap,

I was fortunate enough to scrape together enough to sail on her. If you would like to travel vicariously, I have written a story about the trip. It is at the bottom of my website

http://www.stevekathytravels.com called Scotland Cruise

With no restraints at all, I would live on the World by ResidenSea.

I want to cruise Alaska, but hopefully will check that off within a year or two.

Also on my bucket list is a river cruise on the Nile. A good long one.:D

My dream cruise would be to go on a world cruise that goes to all 7 continents. There are lots of destinations that I would love to see whether by land or by sea: Ireland, Italy, Australia, South Pacific, Panama Canal to name a few.

My dream cruise is an around the world broken into segments with some land travel inbetween.

Start with a cruise from Ft Lauderdale up the Amazon. From there fly to Qunito and do a Galapagos Islands cruise. Next fly to Tahiti and do a cruise around French Polynesia. Then off to Auckland, after a 10 to 14 day stay, do a cruise to Sydney. After a month or so in Australia take a cruise around Australia and up to Bankgok. After a short stay in that area, then next cruise would go all the way to England via Cape Town. From there a cruise to the fjords of Norway before doing a trans Atlantic and back to North America.

Total time 7 - 8 months.

Wayne S

A circumnavigation of Australia with a land tour of the interior - and throw in New Zealand too. And make it round trip from San Diego with stops in the South Seas and Hawaii.

I like both of these options!! My other choice would be to fly to Hawaii then cruise Hawaii, South Pacific( Tahiti area) around OZ, NZ, then more South Pacific (Figi area) then back to Hawaii. (I can fly that far)

Archived