Beware of Beverage Packages

mjwandssw

We got off the Solstice last Sunday--3/6/2010. Someone in our group that had the lower priced liquor package told me they were told they could get any drink under $8. On the last day, they had a Pina Colada on the package. Like most thing when you cruise...it depends on who you ask as to what answer you get. In this case, it may depend on which bartender you get as to which drinks you can order.

We got off the Solstice last Sunday--3/6/2010. Someone in our group that had the lower priced liquor package told me they were told they could get any drink under $8. On the last day, they had a Pina Colada on the package. Like most thing when you cruise...it depends on who you ask as to what answer you get. In this case, it may depend on which bartender you get as to which drinks you can order.

I always build rapport with the bartenders at the bars. I remember their names and ask how they are. It goes a long way in getting those little special requests granted. A extra tip doesn't hurt either.

I always build rapport with the bartenders at the bars. I remember their names and ask how they are. It goes a long way in getting those little special requests granted. A extra tip doesn't hurt either.

As a former bartender in a past life, Amen to that sister! A good tip and a smile goes a l-o-n-g way!:D

I just upload pictures from the Century's Martini Bar menu to the Celebrity photo gallery from last weeks cruise.

HANNIBAL, YOU DA MAN!!!!!!!!!! How can we martini officinados thank you ever so much!

Love Ya Mean it! ;o)

The heck w/ frozen! Its going to be the Deluxe package for me!!! :D

(Note to self: dont forget the Alka Seltzer Wake Up Call and Bellinis)

Please don't flame me, but is seltzer considered a "soda" all by itself? If all you want is seltzer, do you have to either pay for a soda or get a soda package? Thanks.

I don't have the answer to your legitimate question, but it is a sad situation to think one has to start off a post asking not to be flamed!

I understand where you're coming from, Three Rings! Although the vast majority of CruiseCritic posters are kind and helpful, the few judgemental folk on this site make one hesitate to seek information:cool:.....

Please don't flame me, but is seltzer considered a "soda" all by itself? If all you want is seltzer, do you have to either pay for a soda or get a soda package? Thanks.

Seltzer water typically doesn't have a sodium content like club soda does. I like seltzer at home for that reason.

If you wanted a seltzer/club soda you would have to pay for it; it would be considered a "soda" drink. I'm sure if you had a liquor package you wouldn't be charged for a "soda" beverage. And yes if you wanted to just drink club soda that would be the soda package option

Seltzer water typically doesn't have a sodium content like club soda does. I like seltzer at home for that reason.

If you wanted a seltzer/club soda you would have to pay for it; it would be considered a "soda" drink. I'm sure if you had a liquor package you wouldn't be charged for a "soda" beverage. And yes if you wanted to just drink club soda that would be the soda package option

Oh well.

BTW, I have called Celebrity and asked about the beverage packages, and was told that with a liquor package, you canNOT get "just soda". I specifically asked if you can get "a rum and coke without the rum" on the liquor package, and was told you cannot. It doesn't seem logical, but that's what I was told. Then again, I was told, by Celebrity over the phone, that the way the packages are handled is up to each individual ship for each sailing. :confused: :eek:

This confusion is enough to make me start drinking! :D (ahhh, now I see their evil plan!) :D:D

Hi all,

we have just returned from Equinox 10 day on March 8th and i took the frozen drink package and hubby took the beer package.

The one major complaint I had was that we had to wait to get served. It happened to another couple who also had the frozen drink package. I think it might have to do with the tipping because i am not sure how the bartenders got their tips. It upset me so much I complained to the beverage manager and I went to a different bar.

Also, when they made the frozen drink too large to fit the glass, they would pour the rest down the drain. So that ment, you didn't get your full alcohol.

We will not get the drink packages again. Not worth it and you seem to be treated like second class citizens.

Other than than, we loved the ship so much we are going back next year, same ship different itinerary!

Lise

Would you mind saying what the beverage manager's response was?

He said thank you for letting him know, took my room number down and the other person who had the same experience room number. I gave him the name of the bartender who was doing all of this. I didn't hear a thing after that! It was disapointing. I tried to get a vodka and orange juice frozen, but was told we can't do that. It was pretty watery anyway.

It was a learning experience.

Hi all,

The one major complaint I had was that we had to wait to get served. It happened to another couple who also had the frozen drink package. I think it might have to do with the tipping because i am not sure how the bartenders got their tips. It upset me so much I complained to the beverage manager and I went to a different bar.

Also, when they made the frozen drink too large to fit the glass, they would pour the rest down the drain. So that ment, you didn't get your full alcohol.

We will not get the drink packages again. Not worth it and you seem to be treated like second class citizens.

Lise

That pretty much stinks. I do know that making frozen drinks takes a bit more effort but still. Was this every time you ordered? I am of the nature that I would have said something to the bartender. "You'll never get a tip out of me if you don't hurry up with those drinks!"

He said thank you for letting him know, took my room number down and the other person who had the same experience room number. I gave him the name of the bartender who was doing all of this. I didn't hear a thing after that! It was disapointing. I tried to get a vodka and orange juice frozen, but was told we can't do that. It was pretty watery anyway.

It was a learning experience.

Did anything get better after you spoke to the 'bar manager'? Or did you have to avoid the good for nothing bartender that took his good ole bad attitude time the whole cruise?

We will be on Equinox in November...what bar and what was the bartenders name? Thanks.

That pretty much stinks. I do know that making frozen drinks takes a bit more effort but still. Was this every time you ordered? I am of the nature that I would have said something to the bartender. "You'll never get a tip out of me if you don't hurry up with those drinks!"

Did anything get better after you spoke to the 'bar manager'? Or did you have to avoid the good for nothing bartender that took his good ole bad attitude time the whole cruise?

We will be on Equinox in November...what bar and what was the bartenders name? Thanks.

I just avoided the bartender. Husband and I walked away the last time when he totally ignored us even though we were the only ones there. His name is Marco. The bartender in the bar at the back of the ship was much better and nicer.

The other thing too was that they sometimes rang your drink in. We had to keep calling them to remove the drinks. Even when we didn't have to sign the bill. The concept is great, but they still take your card. The only thing is that you don't sign anything.

I just avoided the bartender. Husband and I walked away the last time when he totally ignored us even though we were the only ones there. His name is Marco. The bartender in the bar at the back of the ship was much better and nicer.

The other thing too was that they sometimes rang your drink in. We had to keep calling them to remove the drinks. Even when we didn't have to sign the bill. The concept is great, but they still take your card. The only thing is that you don't sign anything.

I'll keep an eye out for Marco :cool:

I just returned from the Solstice and not sure if it was because it was a chartered ship, but the liquor package worked great. I got the classic liquor package and got anything I wanted that was below $8.00, which included frozen drinks, shots, bottles of water, etc... I did get a martini at the Martini bar but paid for that since it was around 12.00. however, I got a mixed drink at the Martini bar and that was included in the package.

The bartenders work really hard on the cruises. I believe one of the reasons that they "ring it in" is so that they get the benefit of making the drink since Celebrity is the one that doles out the tips from the packages.

My husband and I are really interested in the beer package. He is a home brewer and we really like beer. I looked at the site and saw they had Carlsberg on the list which is one of my favorite beers - I know the beers most likely vary from ship to ship - hoping Carlsberg will be on the Eclipse!

How much is a beer if you don't have the beer package? Thanks for the information!

I have a question in regards to the water package on board....If anyone has gotten it do they give you the bottle or must it always be put in a glass.........Hoping to receive bottles so I can carry them around where ever I go..............

I love sparkling water and bought the package when we were on the

Millie this past Nov. They would bring me the bottle and a glass. I love this as I could bring the bottle with me where ever I would go. Or I would tell them I was going back to my cabin and not to open the bottle. They would do whatever I would ask and they were always wonderful about it. I will be buying the package again for our trip in May.Hope this helped you out.

I just returned from the Solstice and not sure if it was because it was a chartered ship, but the liquor package worked great. I got the classic liquor package and got anything I wanted that was below $8.00, which included frozen drinks, shots, bottles of water, etc... I did get a martini at the Martini bar but paid for that since it was around 12.00. however, I got a mixed drink at the Martini bar and that was included in the package.

The bartenders work really hard on the cruises. I believe one of the reasons that they "ring it in" is so that they get the benefit of making the drink since Celebrity is the one that doles out the tips from the packages.

I love this concept, however, based on responses it seems to vary for each ship. Has anyone who sailed on the Equinox had this experience??

How much is a beer if you don't have the beer package? Thanks for the information!

Most of the beers range from $4.50 (for beers like Budweiser, Miller etc.) to $6.50 for some of the exports. A 15% gratuity is automatically added. I believe that Carlsberg is $6 per bottle - so $6.90 once gratuity is added.

In order for the beer package to be worthwhile, you'd have to average about 7 beers per day (if you buy the cheaper beers) or 5 beers per day (if you drink the more expensive ones). Anything less than that and it will be cheaper to buy the beer one at a time.

I didn't buy the package before we boarded so on that first day I asked how much the drink I typically drink was and whether it would have been covered under the classic package. They said yes so I bought the package.

I didn't buy the package before we boarded so on that first day I asked how much the drink I typically drink was and whether it would have been covered under the classic package. They said yes so I bought the package.

Did you buy it from a bartender, guest services, or...?

Did they just put a sticker on your room card or did you have to get a new one?

(I'm pretty sure that I'll be buying the package, and am trying to gauge the "hassle" factor of waiting until aboard and checking brands/prices)

Archived