Noro on Summit too

Amolin

We were on the 2/13 cruise on the Summit. One of the friends traveling with us got the virus on day 2. When he went to the Dr. he said the office was packed. They told him it was usually a 24 hour thing and that he would be quarantined until the next morning. No better the next day - went to the Dr. again. This time the nurse said they were getting 20 people in an hour. They tried to take precautions on the ship - no self service anywhere, including drinks at buffet, condiments, etc. No salt & pepper on table, no bread baskets at dinner - waiters served with tongs. The staff was constantly cleaning and at every eating area there were crew members with hand cleaner squirting anyone who walked by. There was a more than 2 hour delay for boarding which they said was due to a ramp problem - we did enter on the 1st level - but I wonder if they had the same problem on the last cruise.

We were on this cruise as well. IMHO, it's no wonder there was such an outbreak. Yes, they were squirting you going into the buffet areas, etc. But did you happen to notice how filthy the elevator buttons were to get on an elevator. Let alone how filthy dirty the upper decks were. There were garbage that was there from the first day, that was still there on the last day (same garbage). My husband was afraid to rest his arms on the tables, they were that sticky/dirty, as well as the chairs.I think I only sat down once or twice on the ship other then the MDR or in our room, I felt like I needed a bath every time I went to these areas of the ship. There was a coffee spill at 7:00 the one morning and they put up one of those "caution wet floor signs". It stayed up till the coffee dried, then they took down the sign, but never "wiped" up the "coffee"... I'm very happy we didn't get sick, but it doesn't surprise me if someone did. I'm not saying I wouldn't cruise X again, perhaps another ship.

• 1 month later...

Remember, Norovirus can affect any group where there are susceptible individuals. Since Noro confers little or no long term immunity after an episode, this practically means that any collection of people is a fertile field for the virus. Since individuals can be contagious before they are themselves clinically ill, it is very easy for Noro to be unwittingly introduced into that group. Once introduced, then rapid spread is usually the norm. Ships, of course, are closed and limited populations; this is why the illness seems to affect so many people. It's unfortunate, but cleaning, quarantining the ill passengers, and aggressive personal hygiene about the only things that can be done after the virus is introduced.

One of the common fallacies is that the ship has something to do with the spread of the virus. It really doesn't, it's primarily hand to nose/mouth contact that does the deed. This is why awareness of the mode of spread is so important, and why the stress is on keeping one's hands as clean as possible ( old fashion soap and water is probably the best single preventative, but you have to wash using hot water and at least for 20-30 seconds). All of the bleaching, etc. may help, but the best way to protect yourself is to be aggressive and aware of your own personal habits......

http://www.cdc.gov/nceh/vsp/surv/GIlist.htm

I don’t see Summit on here.

You're correct I Love BBC's, the Summit is NOT on the list. According to the CDC there has not been an official out break (3% or more of passengers or crew reporting symptoms) on the Summit since Nov 2006 and that was for an unknown problem NOT noro.

http://www.cdc.gov/nceh/vsp/surv/GIlist.htm#2010

Not to say there may have been some level of outbreak, just not big enough for the CDC to recognize it.

Now we are almost in May and as many outbreaks that happened

earlier in the year on Mercury, I have not read anything about SUMMIT.

Happily sailing her again 3 weeks from Sunday:D:)

Nope, I don't see SUMMIT on the list either:)

Now we are almost in May and as many outbreaks that happened

earlier in the year on Mercury, I have not read anything about SUMMIT.

Happily sailing her again 3 weeks from Sunday:D:)

Nope, I don't see SUMMIT on the list either:)

I was on the NCL Jewel a few years ago and there was a Noro scare which prompted them to super clean everything, take away salt and pepper shakers and no self service.... the usual stuff, but that sailing isn't on the list either.

Seems to me that the cruise industry treats the slightest outbreak as fast as they can to limit it's spread, obviously with a degree of success if they can keep such a nasty contagion to under 3% infection.

Hi Lois....Leaving in a little more than 5 weeks!!!!!!! I hope you are going to write a review when you return. You have been soooooo helpful to me in the past. Thank-you Lisa...PS. Have a GREAT cruise

Hi Lisa, glad to help:)..and no doubt about having a great cruise:D

I am sure you will as well!:)

That saying said, then written later upon the Bridge in Bergen County here " Times like this Try Men's Souls " Thomas Paine was next to then a new Mason, Gen. George Washington whilst in retreat from the British forces.

It is in a State Park called new Bridge Landing and officiated from Ringwood Manor where Gen. Washington was the exact day..

General Washington was also at Ringwood on April 19, 1783, the very day that a cessation of hostilities was declared between American and Great Britain. This momentous day in history was 8 long years to the day from the first shots of the war fired on Lexington Green.

rwm.jpg

On another saying from that time and so so current still..

An Ounce of Prevention is worth a Pound of Cure!

Archived