Bottle of Wine if You're Lucky?

berry22192

Comparing experiences at dinner on the first night we found that some at the table had a bottle of chilled wine waiting for them in their cabin. Of course, such an amenity would be expected in a suite category but some of our fellow diners had their waiting wine courtesy of their travel agent. I know we shouldn't discuss specific travel agents on this board (and please don't) but does anyone know when complimentary wine can be expected from a TA?

Comparing experiences at dinner on the first night we found that some at the table had a bottle of chilled wine waiting for them in their cabin. Of course, such an amenity would be expected in a suite category but some of our fellow diners had their waiting wine courtesy of their travel agent. I know we shouldn't discuss specific travel agents on this board (and please don't) but does anyone know when complimentary wine can be expected from a TA?

Back in the good old days they did. Now seems you only get it as a perk and they usually tell you when you book. I think the TA's make so little money now on cruises that they cant afford to give out bottles of wine, personally I would rather see the savings on the cruise part than in a bottle of wine. Although when we purchased our next cruise a bottle of red wine and chocolate covered strawberries were a perk.

Over the years (20 cruises) we have dealt with 3 TAs and on various cruises have received: flowers, wine in the room, balcony breakfast, voucher for a photo, or voucher for wine in the dining room. We ususally stick with a TA for quite a while and have a good relationship with her in addition to bringing her a lot of business by referrals. I guess it depends on the TA.

Nancy

I think the TA's make so little money now on cruises that they cant afford to give out bottles of wine,

My wife is a TA and that is a very true statement. First, there is no longer commissions on airfare and other things that were true in past years.

Then half of the commission goes to the agency... But my wife is like alot of good TA's...they put in alot of time and takes the time to answer every question a client would have and get the best deal for the client. Many of the questions I see posted here she gets on the phone from clients....that takes time to respond.

I'd hate to figure out the $/hour she makes...it is probably overshadowed by McDonald's.

That being said, she often tries to book her own group or book into a group. When that occurs, she gets "points" or other amenities that she can turn into various perks for the client, one could be a bottle of wine.

And, of course, if she has enough business from a client or clients, she takes it out of her own pocket and gives some type of on board credit.

She loves what she does.

We sometimes get a photo or wine from the TA but it's not offered on every cruise. If I were to get one & it didn't indicate it up front on their web site it would say to me that their agency is charging to much & I should be shopping around more. There's only so much money to be made on commissions & I'd rather get a cheaper cruise price than a cheap bottle of wine or overpriced photo that only gets filed away when we get home.

My DH is a part time travel agent. He always gives his clients, be they first-timers or regular, a bottle of wine or onboard credit. He kind of gets a feel from the client's interests and comments which would be appropriate. Sometimes the travel agent consortium that his agency belongs to will book group rates on a certain cruise. That usually results in some additonal perks from the consortium...generally onboard credit.

And then there are the times when a TA will spend hours planning a trip for a potential client who later comes back, after taking all the TA's good ideas, and says "thanks but I booked it myself online"...

But you would think the TA would sometimes give a little back to their repeat clients who never ask a single question, know exactly what they want and the only think they have to do is confirm the trip with Princess headquarters.

But you would think the TA would sometimes give a little back to their repeat clients who never ask a single question, know exactly what they want and the only think they have to do is confirm the trip with Princess headquarters.

A good TA will always take that into consideration

And if yours doesn't you should find a new TA...

I don't think you should ever 'expect' a bottle of wine from a TA.

That said, our TA always gives us a bottle of wine.

Oh I keep checking for a better deal but the TA I use always has the lowest price so I guess I can live without the cheap wine. Cash is always best.

Isnt that the truth. My hubby booked us a cruise once through a local TA when I saw the price I almost fainted. I tend to research around for the cheapest prices/best deals and if a bottle of wine is a perk so be it. Bottom line is I would rather see the savings than a bottle of wine.

It's interesting, we usually book with an online discount TA and never expect a thing.. we were pleasantly surprised to get a credit for wine and a picture on our Greek Island Cruise. When we sailed on Sea Princess, another couple took care of all the booking, no discount from the agent, 2 full suites for a 14 day cruise.... got NOTHING!

Isnt that the truth. My hubby booked us a cruise once through a local TA when I saw the price I almost fainted. I tend to research around for the cheapest prices/best deals and if a bottle of wine is a perk so be it. Bottom line is I would rather see the savings than a bottle of wine.

Our local TA always has different specials posted on their window. The prices are always good for a laugh - I can't understand how they can possibly stay in business. Their prices are slightly so under the ones shown in the cruise book.

It might have worked 20 years ago before people started booking on line but with today's internet TA's pricing I'm surprised they can still operate.

To the OP, full suites do not come with a bottle of wine either. Just like in a minisuite you get a glass of champagne after boarding, and that is only if your room steward remembers it (or you ask for it).

As others have said, fewer and fewer TAs now send their clients a bottle of wine since they don't make that much from selling the cruises to make it worthwhile for them. I have a TA that discounts from Princess prices and I honestly don't expect anything more from her. I have occasionally gotten a bottle of wine if my TA has a group set up for the cruise I am on and that is one of the perks and as others said, it is always disclosed at the time of booking. If she says nothing about getting wine I know I won't get it. On my upcoming cruise the group perks include chocolate covered strawberries, a bottle of wine and OBC credit. This is in addition to her discounted pricing.

My wife is a TA and that is a very true statement. First, there is no longer commissions on airfare and other things that were true in past years.

Then half of the commission goes to the agency... But my wife is like alot of good TA's...they put in alot of time and takes the time to answer every question a client would have and get the best deal for the client. Many of the questions I see posted here she gets on the phone from clients....that takes time to respond.

I'd hate to figure out the $/hour she makes...it is probably overshadowed by McDonald's.

That being said, she often tries to book her own group or book into a group. When that occurs, she gets "points" or other amenities that she can turn into various perks for the client, one could be a bottle of wine.

And, of course, if she has enough business from a client or clients, she takes it out of her own pocket and gives some type of on board credit.

She loves what she does.

Her clients are lucky!:)

I just want good service, if I get more, great, but the service is what I want.

It's usually a promotion that the TA agency's put on. We've gotten many bottles of wine that way. Our last cruise we got OBC, bottle of wine, and a free picture.

we deal with the same on line agency and I always look for their promo's:D

Wow, that is nice. All I got from my TA was a request for a cheque for $300.00 to cover her lost commission because we got a price drop OBC:(

We have had the same TA for nearly 20 years. We have never - not once - failed to receive at least a bottle of wine or an OBC for a bottle of wine, when we book a cruise through his agency. He usually includes an OBC for a free photo and often an OBC of $50.00 - $100.00, in addition to any other OBC's we acquire through on-board bookings.

Perhaps we are just very fortunate, but we have heard similar stories from other passengers praising their TA's as well. It may well depend on the amount of business generated over the years. I have no idea, but will not question his nor his agency's generosity and appreciation for our continued business.

We do not take these perks lightly, believe me. We have referred many customers to him over our many years of dealing with him, and we realize what a treasure he is. :D :D

Also - we have received an additional bottle of wine on HAL ("Compliments of the Captain") when booking a full suite. We received one on the Eurodam, the Zuiderdam, and the Oosterdam last year. We have two upcoming cruises this year - one on the Westerdam and one on the Maasdam, so we'll see if this trend continues. Hope so...

Archived