Tsunami for Hawaii

Twiz

Yes, we have also been watching and wondering the same thing. Hilo harbor is predicted to be the hardest hit at this point.

We were there 3 weeks ago and I remember seeing signs posted there for Tsunami evacutaions

:)

We were there 3 weeks ago and I remember seeing signs posted there for Tsunami evacutaions

While the tsunami warning certainly is serious and must be treated with great respect by everyone in the potential impact zone, let's all hope and pray that the actual event impact is minimal, and that everyone in all impacted areas is safe, not to mention all of those at sea or in port. We sail POA in only 5 weeks, and the powers and forces or nature that we so enjoy viewing also remind us of the limitations of our abilities and technology, when measured against them.

I am trying to find out as well. My parents are on POA right now. They will then be flying over to another island for another week. This will obviously mess up all of their nicely planned transfers which will cause them to panic.

First question would be whether they bring the ship into port or keep it at sea. I have to assume that at sea would be safer until the Tsunami passes.

Any info or updates from locals would be appreciated.

Thanks

I would think that POA will stay at sea this morning, and wait for the warning to pass before they pull into Honolulu. I supposed they could pull in at the scheduled 0700 time and try to offload passengers and get back to sea before the 11:19am HST prediction, but I don't think they will do that.

I don't really know for sure though.

I am trying to find out as well. My parents are on POA right now. They will then be flying over to another island for another week. This will obviously mess up all of their nicely planned transfers which will cause them to panic.

First question would be whether they bring the ship into port or keep it at sea. I have to assume that at sea would be safer until the Tsunami passes.

Any info or updates from locals would be appreciated.

Thanks

I would think that POA will stay at sea this morning, and wait for the warning to pass before they pull into Honolulu. I supposed they could pull in at the scheduled 0700 time and try to offload passengers and get back to sea before the 11:19am HST prediction, but I don't think they will do that.

I don't really know for sure though.

I agree. I would think that they would stay at sea as the waves from a tsunami are minimal there. It is when the water hits the shore that the waves become so large.

Watching and hoping the islands are missed. We sail Princess in 2 weeks and wonder if we will be rediredted if there is too much damage. It's a 14 day and so the islands would be the place to dock and replenish so if route changed I'm sure Princess would adivse us. But all prayers are with all the people effected by this.

The Hawaii Dept. of Transportation has ordered all ships out of port in Honolulu. The POAmerica is to re-fuel prior to 6am this morning (Hawaii time) and then head back out to sea. They are also to sound the sirens at 6am, and start the evacuation of all Waikiki Beach front Hotels.

Also, just heard that Hilo airport is shut down until further notice....

Chuck

Plan B,

Are you sailing on the Golden on 3/14? If so, please come on over and join our roll call.

We're all hoping for minimal or no tsunami damage to the islands of Hawaii, and will be following the news closely.

The Hawaii Dept. of Transportation has ordered all ships out of port in Honolulu. The POAmerica is to re-fuel prior to 6am this morning (Hawaii time) and then head back out to sea. They are also to sound the sirens at 6am, and start the evacuation of all Waikiki Beach front Hotels.

Also, just heard that Hilo airport is shut down until further notice....

Chuck

Did the passengers disembark before she went back out??

Aloha,

I live just outside of Hilo in an oceanfront community. The sirens sounded at 6am and everyone here is in the emergency preparedness mode....moving cars to higher ground, rounding up the pets, moving electronics to second floor, etc. I am hearing on the TV that they are doing or preparing to do a "vertical" evacuation in Waikiki on Oahu. That means they are planing to evacuate the first three floors of the high rise hotels.

Civil Defense will issue another update in about 10 minutes. I will report back.

I have been watching the news about the earthquake in Chili which may cause a Tsunami in Hawaii later today, just wondering what happens on/with the POA and passengers ???

:eek:

The Cruise ships have been asked to go back to sea along with other ships

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,587590,00.html

Coast Guard Asks Ships to Leave Hawaiian Ports

Saturday, February 27, 2010

Location of massive earthquake is seen near Concepcion, Chile.

Ships trying to enter the port of Honolulu have been told to turn around, and any vessels now in the port are advised to leave ahead of a potential tsunami aimed at Hawaii, Chief Petty Officer Chad Saylor, a Coast Guard spokesman, told FoxNews.com.

They are clearing out the port so that emergency supplies and assistance will be able to easily get into the state if necessary.

The Coast Guard has made contact with all large vessels in the area, including a cruise ship, to let them know about the advisory.

The cruise ship was reported to have been refueling and was planning to depart before 6 a.m. (11 a.m. ET).

The Coast Guard also is in touch with local marinas to advise recreational boaters to be safe and secure their vessels.

It is important for an island state to keep its port open in the event of a natural disaster so that emergency supplies and services are able to effectively enter the state, Saylor said.

He could not comment on whether it was safer for ships to be out at sea than in the port.

Thanks for the updates everyone.

I had called NCL early this morning but they had no information on the status of POA or what they would be doing. I also felt that it would be safer for the ship to remain at sea rather than be in port. If the ship was refueling at 6am, I assume they were not disembarking passengers at that time. With the airport closed down, most of them would not have anywhere to go once they were booted off the ship.

Reports indicate the wave will be about 6 feet, but the risk is flooding from rising waters. Lets hope this turns out to be a safety exercise and the actual wave that hits is just a blip.

I am pretty sure that my parents' transfers from the ship to the airport and their inter island flight will be all messed up by now. I hope they do not run into problems rescheduling. I have not heard a thing from them yet.

This was just posted on NCL's facebook page:

Important Information for @NCLFreestyle Pride of America Guests

IMPORTANT INFORMATION FOR PRIDE OF AMERICA GUESTS Updated Saturday, February 27, 2010 at 11:45 am ET Because of a tsunami warning, the Port of Honolulu has been closed. Pride of America which was scheduled to dock in Honolulu this morning will spend the day at sea until the port reopens...

We were supposed to be on this sailing disembarking today...hope that this turns out to be a precaution and everyone escapes unharmed.

Disembarking or embarking? I would love to hear an update from someone aboard ship that has internet access.

Archived