Great Dancing on the Journey

JJPacer

We just returned from the Journey. We were anxious about the dancing opportunities after reading the posts. AZ must have read the posts, and responded to our concerns. They had dance music (recorded) in the Looking Glass starting at 6 PM for those who wanted to dance before dinner. They had a trio playing in the Looking Glass. We thought they were excellent. We went up there after dinner, about 9 PM or so. When the trio wasn't playing, a DJ was there. He did a great job, and would take requests. The Trio also took requests. Sometimes the Journey band would play in the Looking Glass, too.

They had a Party on the Pool Deck, and a lot of people danced. Another night they had a dance where the Journey band, dancers, and singers were present. It was very popular and a great night of dancing. The Journey band had a Glen Miller night and many enjoyed dnacing to the big band music.

I thought this was a great idea, and it was so much fun. They had Dancing with the Officers of the Ship. It was like Dancing with the Stars. They asked passengers to volunteer to dance with an officer, chosen at random. Male & female officers volunterred to participate. Then they had a dance contest. There were approximately 15 couples. The band chose the music. The couples didn't know what type of dance was going to be played. The couples danced to 3 songs. They played a salsa, cha cha, & tango, for example. They divided the larger group into 3 smaller gorups. The Captain of the ship, another high ranking officer, and a passenger were on the 3 judge panel. Each group danced the 3 dances, and the judges decided which couples would go onto the next round. There were supposed to be 3 couples in the final dance off, but the judges couldn't decide on 3, so 5 couples were chosen for the final round. Those 5 couples danced to 3 more random songs chosen by the band. Then the judges chose the winner.

I had the honor of dancing with a very HOT officer, and we won second place! :D We didn't know the dances, and most in the dance off didn't either. It was all for fun. You created whatever dance you could perform, and sell your performance with the joy of dance! It was exciting and entertaining.

Another night they had Rock A Reoke. A passenger chooses a song to sing with the band, like Kareoke. Only the band played and sang too, so you didn't sound too bad. We had such a good time with the band, and the DJ every night, we decided to sing our choice for the first song...Celebration... for Rock A reoke to get the party started. :eek: We have NEVER sung Kareoke, and probably never will again. But we felt like we wanted to give something back because we were having such a great cruise! By the way, we were stone cold sober! It was a lot of fun. The next night the DJ told us he appreciated our getting things going. He said that was the best Rock A Roeke party they had ever had.:p

There were dance lessons offered. Very basic steps.

The Journey did a superior job of offering music for your listening pleasure or for dancing opportunitites to satisfy everyones tastes. It was fantastic. So, get out there and kick up your heels! :rolleyes:

John & Jacki,

We had such fun dancing with you guys up in the Looking Glass. It's too bad that this was such an early-to-bed crowd on the ship. The Mirage Trio was playing for four or five couples quite often.

Toni

I'm happy to see that they keep improving the dancing opportunities! When we cruised the Panama Canal, a number of us commented to the CD (Sue Denning) that we would like to see more dancing. She arranged to have the Journey orchestra play in the show loung a couple of times and made sure that there was recorded music on the other nights. I was very impressed with her responsiveness.

On Quest last May they also had the Dancing with an Officer, but they scheduled it for the night we were in Venice, so we missed it.:( On the other hand, we were in Venice at night.:)

Wow, sounds almost like two different ships.

Just off the Journey and we were rather disappointed with the dancing venue. Don't get me wrong, they had music, maybe not necessarily our type of music.

The Glen Miller night was short of great. In the hour long program the band probably played less then ten songs due to the long intorduction of each number. I agree the pool parties were good.

The trio that played, Mirage, played well, however, they were not very welcome to requests. One night in the Looking Glass I asked if they could play some medium tempo swing and the reply was "we're saving that for the pool party."

Funny how two cruises differ.

The trio that played, Mirage, played well, however, they were not very welcome to requests. One night in the Looking Glass I asked if they could play some medium tempo swing and the reply was "we're saving that for the pool party."

We were on the Journey cruise with JJPacer, who we met through our roll call. One night in the Looking Glass there were only four or five couples dancing and the room was pretty well empty. The trio members were joking with us and played anything we asked them to. We had a good time.

We were on the Journey cruise with JJPacer, who we met through our roll call. One night in the Looking Glass there were only four or five couples dancing and the room was pretty well empty. The trio members were joking with us and played anything we asked them to. We had a good time.

Please don't get me wrong, we had a great time and the music was good. As you will read in my review, there was little to complain about!

Archived