Laundry in stateroom

goldencruiser

If you are Captain's Clube Elite, you get free laundry.....

Have you ever used that? The 20 items came back all smashed together. Yes they were folded, but they were packed so tightly in the bags that they might as well not have been. I did turn around and send my linen pants out to be pressed and kind of grinned and bore it with the rest. Also, all my tops that had stains still had the stains, so I really wasn't too impressed. I've had much better results when sending things out by the piece, but that can get expensive.

While I appreciate all the helpful hints on doing some laundry in the stateroom, I don't understand why others feel the need to voice their opinion as to why I should not. I do understand we all have budgets, we just choose to spend it differently. How I spend my vacation time is my business - I only asked a simple question on how to and not why to.

Thank you

While I appreciate all the helpful hints on doing some laundry in the stateroom, I don't understand why others feel the need to voice their opinion as to why I should not. I do understand we all have budgets, we just choose to spend it differently. How I spend my vacation time is my business - I only asked a simple question on how to and not why to.

Thank you

Well said - We really appreciate the laundry rooms on Princess..8 cruises on Princess and I've never done laundry on a ship, but my husband is obsessed and is an early riser, my stuff is usually clean and folded back in the cabin by the time I'm up :)

Thank you

You are absolutely correct. Sorry if I posted anything judgemental. We all have our own priorities. I cruise to get away from home, and for me doing laundry is more like home than a cruise, so I voiced my unneeded opinion. I should not have questioned your intentions.

I'll be standing in the corner for the next 15 minutes if anybody is looking for me. :)

Have you ever used that? The 20 items came back all smashed together. Yes they were folded, but they were packed so tightly in the bags that they might as well not have been. I did turn around and send my linen pants out to be pressed and kind of grinned and bore it with the rest. Also, all my tops that had stains still had the stains, so I really wasn't too impressed. I've had much better results when sending things out by the piece, but that can get expensive.
On the Solstice we used the elite coupon.Everything,underwear,t-shirts,shorts came back in excellant condition. Everything folded neatly in 2 bags. Love it.Before we had this perk we didn't send laundry but I just can't picture taking a clothes line and doing laundry in that small bathroom. And I sure wouldn't dry clothes on my balcony. My camping days are long gone.You are on vacation!!!!!!

You are absolutely correct. Sorry if I posted anything judgemental. We all have our own priorities. I cruise to get away from home, and for me doing laundry is more like home than a cruise, so I voiced my unneeded opinion. I should not have questioned your intentions.

I'll be standing in the corner for the next 15 minutes if anybody is looking for me. :)

I would join you but I don't do guilt any better than I do laundry on a cruise.;)

I sent out quite a bit of laundry on the 2 week cruise we took, and also did lots in the sink. Even with wearing some items more than once, there's no way I could have packed enough for a 14 day cruise, 1 day pre & 3 days post in a hotel unless I did some laundry myself. As it was, our laundry was still over $40. We took a train into london post cruise, and had too much luggage as it was.

I got a bottle of dish soap before I boarded the ship, it was fine for rinsing out laundry. Wrung it out and put it on a clothesline on the balcony when the sun was out. Only washed light clothes, they dried quickly in the sun. I was discreet with the clothes on the balcony - strung the line low & never in port. Pinned t shirts to the backs of the chairs. The clothes smell so nice after drying in the sun.

clothesline

We are cruising on the Century the end of this month, my husband & I and our 4 children. I know we will need to rinse out a few clothes along the way and send some things out to get through the week. Does anyone know if there is a line in the bathroom of this ship? If not I might invest in one of the portable lines recommended here. Even if you don't do laundry, don't people need something to hang bathing suits up to dry at the very least? It seems to me some sort of line is needed.

With all due respect...the airline fees for an bag isn't that much, compared to the overall cost of cruising. If this is you're only reason not to book a B2B, it's a realitively small issue. I cruise NOT to do laundry or worry about not taking the clothing that I enjoy wearing.

And with all due respect in return, I think it is insane to think of taking an extra suitcase of clothes just to deal with the fact that X doesn't give you any other choices for laundry other than your bathroom sink or their per item option... Neither is an ideal solution to the issue we al face, of getting our clothes clean one way or the other....

Laundry charges alone were definitely not the only reason for not doing the B2B. However, the little things do start to get to you after a while, and X certainly doesn't try to make it easy.

After spending thousands on a cruise, how difficult is it to come up with $50 more for an extra suitcase. It's probably less than 1% of the cost of the cruise!

Hardly the point... As I stated above, why cart an extra suitcase of clean clothes on vacation just to address the laundry issue? Extra charge for suitcases, bigger rental car to hold extra suitcase, it's just silly to be chucking away unnecessary money for something like that. Nothing is free in life, but I do have a choice over whether or not I pay X per item to wash my clothes or choose to do it myself and employ my fabulous little balcony for drying purposes...

The whole laundry issue is petty in the big scheme of things but clearly, many X passengers do not want to do their laundry the way Celebrity wants them to and will try to find a way around it. You can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink.

It said wash only, dryclean or iron only.

I choose wash and the clothes came back crumpled. why not give the ppl the option to have it washed and ironed?

I am not of the opinion that "many" passengers is a correct statement. On the few posts of this nature that appear here occasionally, only a mere handful of people are disappointed about Celebrity not having laundry facilities. My belief is that the vast majority are content with the situation as it is today, and find no fault with it. We are, as many have indicated, on vacation and that is what most are content with. Because you prefer to do your laundry is not an indication of the preferences of most people.

Although most ppl have found a not so good solution to cope with the problem, I still think everyone is disappointed there is no self laundry but just do not mention it all the time.

Although most ppl have found a not so good solution to cope with the problem, I still think everyone is disappointed there is no self laundry but just do not mention it all the time.

'Everyone' is not disappointed there isn't self-servce laundry. I agree with forinweb, my subjective reading of these type posts is most are quite satisfied with not having it available. We cruised on Princess with one avail, and my wife decided to use it - didn't have to, just used it because it was there and thought clean laundry at the end would be nice. When we got home, I reminded her how 'nice' it was we spent that time in a laundromat on board instead of doing it at home. I got the cold stare, but we haven't 'done laundry' on a cruise since, except of course the few socks and undies in the sink for convience.

I understand we all have differing views and priorities - but lets not go the route that someone knows 'everybody' would like something. I know for sure there are two who don't: me and forinweb and that means it isn't 'everybody'. And all the others who have stated they don't do laundry on ships.

Denny

I'm am shocked at how upset some people seem to be getting, because people choose to wash out a few clothes and hang them up to dry. What am I missing here? How is this negatively impacting anyone else?

Most hotels do have laundry facilities. Even on short trips when I haven't planned to do any laundry it seems to always become necessary at some point - I have 4 children and stuff happens. It would be nice if Celebrity could provide self-service laundry somewhere - doesn't need to be every floor - so those of us who would like to use it can. Of course, those of you who do not wish to use it do not have to. Since that isn't an option, we need to look at the other alternatives. I'm sure I will have to send a few things out to be laundered and I will wash out some things in the sink and hang them up to dry. Bathing suits at the very least. What do those of you who are so opposed to hanging things up to dry do with yours?

I would agree that I don't think there are "many" Celebrity cruisers who are worried about laundry facilities. I'm sure there are a few.

Those who don't care to bring enough clothing or use the ship's laundry are probably in the minority. It's not a common thing that someone would choose a "cruise vacation" and try to travel with a carry on. To each his own, but it's not the usual thing people do. If it's something someone wants to do or feels is somehow cost efficient...go for it. I would agree that the time spent doing laundry would certainly be a "cost" as far as I'm concerned. That's why they say "spending" your vacation. The nice thing about a cruise is that you just have to get it there and once on board you don't have to pack and move your suitcase until you go home.

We've been on many long cruises including time spent in a city before embarkation and I never wear the same thing twice, bring formal wear and the only laundry I have done are a few undies. It doesn't cost much.

It sure doesn't bother anyone if someone wants to wash out a few things in their cabin and I'm sure lots of people do that. They would probably do the same thing even if there were self-service laundries.

Then there's also the option of choosing a ship with a self-service laundry and "spending" part of your vacation doing laundry.

'Everyone' is not disappointed there isn't self-servce laundry. I agree with forinweb, my subjective reading of these type posts is most are quite satisfied with not having it available. We cruised on Princess with one avail, and my wife decided to use it - didn't have to, just used it because it was there and thought clean laundry at the end would be nice. When we got home, I reminded her how 'nice' it was we spent that time in a laundromat on board instead of doing it at home. I got the cold stare, but we haven't 'done laundry' on a cruise since, except of course the few socks and undies in the sink for convience.

I understand we all have differing views and priorities - but lets not go the route that someone knows 'everybody' would like something. I know for sure there are two who don't: me and forinweb and that means it isn't 'everybody'. And all the others who have stated they don't do laundry on ships.

Denny

So sorry I used the word everyone. A big no no on a board.

I am not of the opinion that "many" passengers is a correct statement. On the few posts of this nature that appear here occasionally, only a mere handful of people are disappointed about Celebrity not having laundry facilities. My belief is that the vast majority are content with the situation as it is today, and find no fault with it. We are, as many have indicated, on vacation and that is what most are content with. Because you prefer to do your laundry is not an indication of the preferences of most people.

You are entitled to your opinion, but you don't know any more than I do how many people aren't happy with it and to say only a "mere handful" are disappointed there are no self service facilities is also an exaggeration....

I remember our Princess days well. Waiting to use the washer, making sure to get back in time to put them in the dryer and then making sure you're there when they're ready to come out so they don't get too wrinkled. It was great fun to think you could go touch something up before dinner....so did everyone else. UGH. I've seen people arguing over the equiptment.

I know it's a difficult habit to break, but it's wonderful that we don't even have to think about it on Celebrity. I don't miss it one bit.

You are entitled to your opinion, but you don't know any more than I do how many people aren't happy with it and to say only a "mere handful" are disappointed there are no self service facilities is also an exaggeration....

I agree. Why do people feel the need to voice their opinion as to how others should spend their vacation. I don't feel that by doing a bit of laundry is going to ruin my vacation or yours. How I spend my time on vacation is my business. I was asking a simple question and found several people who felt the need to voice their opnion as to why I shouldn't do laundry - not the question I was asking. I was asking how - asking for helpful hints which I thought these boards were for.

I remember our Princess days well. Waiting to use the washer, making sure to get back in time to put them in the dryer and then making sure you're there when they're ready to come out so they don't get too wrinkled. It was great fun to think you could go touch something up before dinner....so did everyone else. UGH. I've seen people arguing over the equiptment.

I know it's a difficult habit to break, but it's wonderful that we don't even have to think about it on Celebrity. I don't miss it one bit.

I remember those days coming back to the cabin carrying clothes because of course there were no baskets and the laundry rooms were too small to fold them in there, my DH saying why did you bother with laundry we didn't even need those dirty clothes.My goodness how our priorities change.I also remember washing some underclothes and trying to dry them in the BR, only took 3 days to dry.LOL. Life is so much simpler when you don't sweat the small stuff.I also suggested takings clothes and doing carry on luggage. I won't even tell you what he said to that suggestion as it comes under the heading of foul language.

I just bring a carry on bag with a few changes of clothes.

On a ship of 2000+ people, nobody is going to notice if I wear the same thing twice.

The benefits of this are:

- save the money on the check bag fee's the airline charges & spend that money on laundry (never done self serve, always paid the crazy prices of $2/socks, $3/shorts, etc.... but it is still cheaper than a checked bag

- easier to travel with no checked baggage.

In fact, if weather or delays are a problem, it is a lot easier to jump over or standby for another flight a few gates over if you have no checked bag. Otherwise, airlines are limited to what they can do in terms of changing your flight last minute as you have to follow your bag around. I love being able to just go up to the gate and get on the next flight if there is a problem or I'm a little bit late.

Archived