Laundry in stateroom

goldencruiser

We are middle of the road on the laundry issue as I do my own delicate things myself, because the ship's laundry is not kind to items that require cold water and drip drying. I simply wring the clothes by hand and then place the wet clothes in a bath towel and blot out the remaining water by rolling the towel and applying a little pressure. That makes the drying process fast. My college roomie taught me this trick...Happy laundry, all...whatever way you choose to handle it....

It said wash only, dryclean or iron only.

I choose wash and the clothes came back crumpled. why not give the ppl the option to have it washed and ironed?

On recent cruises our coupons included some for small quantities of dry clean and pressing, and one for 30 items "washed and folded". The washed and folded came back very nicely done but clearly not pressed if the items really needed pressing.

The normal per piece rates for laundry do include pressing (if appropriate for the item) and are not too expensive for a few items during the cruise - but you definitely have the option of sending your items out for washing and pressing by choosing the normal rates (no coupon or special).

I recognize that everyone has different priorities and budgets. I'd never be interested in spending our cruise time doing laundry. Only thing we routinely rinse out and hang to dry are swim suits and rash guards and that is almost too much for us. But if others prefer to do laundry on board then all the power to them - it is your cruise and you can spend the time however you wish. If it is a real high priority for you then by all means pick a cruise line that has self service laundry on board as Celebrity might not be right for you.

We took a clothesline with suction cups on the ends and found it worked very well in the shower on Solstice. While I don't do all my laundry in the cabin we routinely wash underwear and socks each night, squeeze in a towel and hang them to dry. I was very disappointed in the 'all you can fit in a bag' laundry deal. We sent a bag at the end of the first half of our B2B hoping to have clean clothes for the second half. Hardly anything was wearable because it was so squashed and crumpled. I know other people have had good luck with this, but we certainly didn't. Items we sent out individually were well laundered and pressed. I can understand families wanting to do their own laundry. Small children go through so many clothes that the cost would be prohibitive. We all spend our money on things that are important to us in our particular situation.

Sheila

We are taking our first Celebrity cruise on the Infinity in January 2011. Like Celebrity, Holland America's Vista class ships do not have self-service laundries as Princess has. However, on HAL, one can prepay for unlimited laundry (including pressing). Does Celebrity offer unlimited laundry for a fixed price? If so, does anyone know the cost? Thanks for your help on this.

Doesn't it look awfully trashy to have everyone hanging their laundry out on the balcony?

Anyway apart from the aesthetic POV - I marvel at people who can travel so light. I always have at least one big suitcase and thats a stretch..and I seek out hotels that have laundromats or whatever. It's not a big deal, you just do a couple of loads one evening and VOILA - its not like you are rubbing clothes on rocks down at the riverside.

On our forthcoming cruise I plan to pay as necessary for laundry - shirts, dresses etc and then wash the undies in the basin. Nothing but me and a glass of wine are going on the balcony

TMI for me. I don't want to hear about undies in the sink where I wash my face.:p I guess it's not surprising that things get broken in the stateroom if they're being used as clotheslines.

We just bring enough to last or send them to the laundry.

We are taking our first Celebrity cruise on the Infinity in January 2011. Like Celebrity, Holland America's Vista class ships do not have self-service laundries as Princess has. However, on HAL, one can prepay for unlimited laundry (including pressing). Does Celebrity offer unlimited laundry for a fixed price? If so, does anyone know the cost? Thanks for your help on this.

Generally, the only laundry specials on Celebrity are discount coupons for Captains Club Members (prior cruisers) which vary depending on the Captains Club level (I'm not sure if there are any below the select level). They also sometimes have a bag of laundry special but if it is offered it is usually late in the cruise and marketed to be able to pack clean clothes for the trip home.

How much is the unlimited laundry on HAL? Does it include dry cleaning?

Traveling light to me is about the challenge (which I enjoy) and also about feeling so less encumbered when traveling and transitioning from plane to train to hotel to cab to ship and ship to car/bus to train to shuttle to hotel to shuttle to airport to car to home! When I don't plan well, I end up hauling around all sorts of stuff that I never use. I'd prefer to handwash a thing or two and be able to cut back on what I bring. I too work out daily. My work out stuff is light and will wash easy and dry quick....no need for 7 work out outfits and you don't want me to wear any of those things again without washing :eek: Also a couple of light, synthetic tops will wash and dry quickly. They are very comfortable and I likely want wear some twice.

My daughter and I did 3 weeks in Europe in 2008 and did a little hand washing every night (took 10 whole minutes or so). But then 2 of those weeks were with a Rick Steves tour and we were allowed only one carryon bag and had to haul it ourselves up/down stairs, through city streets, etc. It actually worked really well and I felt I had just the right amount of clothes. I have a twisted clothesline with suction cups, small packets of Woolite, blow up hangers for drying, a sink stopper and a super absobant small towel to roll things up in before hanging to dry. Most things dried fine overnight (I'd like to emphasize the light weight synthetic part).

Now on this cruise, I'll definitely bring more than one carryon as I enjoy dressing up. Those things won't be washed onboard nor worn more than once. I am also planning to bring too many shoes!! That and electronics will take enough space, so I'll need to cut back where I can!

The Rick Steve site has some good info and products..... (Ricksteves.com), as does REI.

Generally, the only laundry specials on Celebrity are discount coupons for Captains Club Members (prior cruisers) which vary depending on the Captains Club level (I'm not sure if there are any below the select level). They also sometimes have a bag of laundry special but if it is offered it is usually late in the cruise and marketed to be able to pack clean clothes for the trip home.

How much is the unlimited laundry on HAL? Does it include dry cleaning?

Thanks for your reply. Here is the latest info on HAL unlimited laundry.

Please note that although HAL lists the price per person, in reality, the fee is charged only once per cabin and this was verified by the purser's desk. Note that dry cleaning is not included in this price.

Unlimited laundry and pressing packages are available for:

7-day sailing $45 per person.

10-13 day sailing $70 per person.

14-16 day sailing $95 per person.

17-21 day sailing $120 per person.

We normally do a fair amount of laundry on the ship for the 2 of us as we often do a pre-cruise. I'd say that disreguarding the coupons the $70 is probably a push to our average useage for the 2 of us. Sometimes we spend more, sometimes less, depends largely on the length of the pre-cruise and how wrinkled my shirts come out of the suitcase. We might actually spend a little less as we usually spend $10 to $15 or so on dry cleaning as well.

With the Elite coupons we spend considerably less - if I dropped the dry cleaning we probably spend about $20 per cruise after the coupons and that is largely for items that need pressing.

If you've never used it, Downy Wrinkle Releaser is just great. You can take it in a small spray bottle. I just lay the shirt or pants on the bed or desk as you would on an ironing board. Spray it enough to make it a little damp and smooth with your hands. It really works, clothes smell great and it will save you $ when you have a garment that is ready to wear but wrinkled due to the suitcase. Then you don't have to pay to have it pressed.

We will be on the Equinox in May and it will be our first cruise with no access to laundry facilities. You can bet I'll have some Downy with me. We do plan to send out laundry/dry cleaning since we are in Rome 3 days prior and 2 days after the cruise but I hate to pay to have something pressed that is already clean!

Also, does anyone know if there are any special laundry deals in "concierge class" cabins?
While I'm not entirely sure, I don't think so.

Reading through this thread I'm getting the impression that [at least in my experience] the free:) Elite 30 piece offer [which BTW is NOT supposed to be available the last three days of the cruise when they seem to do the "stuff the bag" offer] seems to get nicer treatment than some report for the "stuff the bag". As I previously reported my shirts and slacks were returned pressed and on hangers when I utilized the Elite offer. I can not say what the official policy is, but either I lucked out or the Elite offer is even better than I thought.

Thom

...As I previously reported my shirts and slacks were returned pressed and on hangers when I utilized the Elite offer. I can not say what the official policy is, but either I lucked out or the Elite offer is even better than I thought....

You lucked out. We've used this on at least 2 cruises, and all items were returned nicely folded in paper bags. This included slacks and shirts that would have been pressed and on hangers if done at the piece rate.

Larry, we have used it too and it seems to be random, or maybe it just varies with whoever happens to be doing the laundry that day. Sometimes the slacks and shirts came back on hangers and sometimes they came back folded inside the bag.

We are taking some old clothes that we do not really care about and disposing of it along the way. That way we have lots of room in our luggage for coming home. Works for us as we are not as limited due to our status with airline. Good luck everyone and happy sailing.

We are taking some old clothes that we do not really care about and disposing of it along the way. That way we have lots of room in our luggage for coming home. Works for us as we are not as limited due to our status with airline. Good luck everyone and happy sailing.

You brought a real smile to my face. My recently deceased ( and much loved) father-in-law would save his worn and torn underwear all year long

just so he could throw them away as he used them on vacation. He used to love telling people his stories of how he got all the holes in his underwear and what the people who cleaned his room or cabin each day must have thought. Thanks for the bringing up fond memories!

Many travel experts and a number of airline baggage employees recommend carry on only travel. I tried this, and now I try to limit myself to a carry on and personal item whenever possible. The hassle of doing laundry is a small price to pay for the freedom of being able to easily maneuver through airports, hotels, train stations, and elevated train platforms. The bonus is the opportunity to meet both locals and fellow world travelers in a laundromat in the Loire Valley or some other scenic place, all while enjoying a pastry from the little shop next door. Traveling light is a sign of sophistication to many who make world travel a way of life.

That being said, start investing in items that make this lifestyle easier. The link for a braided elastic clothesline in this thread is a good start. That website also sells sheets of soap that are easily packed (remember to handle them only with dry hands). I buy clothes that wash and dry easily with few wrinkles, and I find them comfortable for use at home as well. Try Columbia and Ex-Officio.

That clothesline works great on the S class. I used it attached to the shower head and stretched it to the "hooks" on the side wall of the bathroom. Then I found I could use it from that hook to the ones on the wall outside the bathroom. That way the bathroom door is kept open and things dry better. The key to getting things dry is to spread them flat on a towel and then roll it up and wring it dry. This gets 2/3 of the moisture out before hanging up the item.

Sneak a little whiskey on board and poor a little over ice after you get back from your shore excursion. Open the balcony door and wash a days worth of clothes. Head out to the balcony with your drink and wring the clothes dry by putting one end of the towel on the floor and holding it with your foot while you sit and wring it out with two hands. Don't forget to have a sip of your drink while enjoying the view as you leave port between twists. Then shower and get ready for dinner and you won't have time to spend talking with all the people in the bars who are too good to do their own laundry.

You brought a real smile to my face. My recently deceased ( and much loved) father-in-law would save his worn and torn underwear all year long

just so he could throw them away as he used them on vacation. He used to love telling people his stories of how he got all the holes in his underwear and what the people who cleaned his room or cabin each day must have thought. Thanks for the bringing up fond memories!

I once tried throwing out some panties that weren't torn or "ratty" looking. Our steward took them out of the waste basket three times until I told him I threw them out on purpose.

I am also a carry-on only person....

Last year my husband and I did 2 weeks in Italy and Spain with just our carry-on's...

I do it for the reasons others have already said..... The ability to be free! Having too much stuff just when traveling from place to place just gets cumbersome.

Now I am going on a 2 week cruise in a few weeks with a 2 night stay in Puerto Rico beforehand. I will be attempting to live for 18 nights out of a carry on suitcase. Packing will be tough, but I will survive!

Many travel experts and a number of airline baggage employees recommend carry on only travel. I tried this, and now I try to limit myself to a carry on and personal item whenever possible. The hassle of doing laundry is a small price to pay for the freedom of being able to easily maneuver through airports, hotels, train stations, and elevated train platforms. The bonus is the opportunity to meet both locals and fellow world travelers in a laundromat in the Loire Valley or some other scenic place, all while enjoying a pastry from the little shop next door. Traveling light is a sign of sophistication to many who make world travel a way of life.

That being said, start investing in items that make this lifestyle easier. The link for a braided elastic clothesline in this thread is a good start. That website also sells sheets of soap that are easily packed (remember to handle them only with dry hands). I buy clothes that wash and dry easily with few wrinkles, and I find them comfortable for use at home as well. Try Columbia and Ex-Officio.

That clothesline works great on the S class. I used it attached to the shower head and stretched it to the "hooks" on the side wall of the bathroom. Then I found I could use it from that hook to the ones on the wall outside the bathroom. That way the bathroom door is kept open and things dry better. The key to getting things dry is to spread them flat on a towel and then roll it up and wring it dry. This gets 2/3 of the moisture out before hanging up the item.

Sneak a little whiskey on board and poor a little over ice after you get back from your shore excursion. Open the balcony door and wash a days worth of clothes. Head out to the balcony with your drink and wring the clothes dry by putting one end of the towel on the floor and holding it with your foot while you sit and wring it out with two hands. Don't forget to have a sip of your drink while enjoying the view as you leave port between twists. Then shower and get ready for dinner and you won't have time to spend talking with all the people in the bars who are too good to do their own laundry.

Now I have heard it all!!!!!And by the way it has nothing to do with being too good to do my own laundry.:rolleyes:

Archived