Coming back to RCCL after a few years - what changes can I expect?

We are Diamond members with RCI. Our last cruise was on the Freedom. After a bad experience (my son broke his finger and we had a horrible medical staff issue) we decided to try out other cruise lines. We have sailed both NCL and Carnival 5 times since talking a break from RCI. We are coming back on March 18th to sail the Navigator out of Miami. I heard that RCI has made some cuts to it's loyalty program and downgraded it's dining room food. Am I in for a shock? With 13 RCI cruises in the past should I not expect much the same level of food and service as in the past?

Before anyone flames me about the medical thing - yes it was ugly and yes we filed complaints - nothing was ever done and no response was ever received from RCI. Any time a child is hurt it is tramatic and no it was RCI's fault he got hurt. Our problem was with how it was dealt with and the total lack of the medical staff's inability with dealing with children.

I am posting asking for advice on the changes that have been made in the past few years - not to rehash old medical issues.

Thanks for your advice.

I am glad to see no one responded with any changes. I had hear that Diamond privledges had been diminished. I love cocktails in the conceirge club. I had also heard about paying for room service and steaks in the dining room? I am hoping none of that is true?

I'm not sure that you'll see any differences, since you sailed not that long ago (if you were on Freedom!) If you hadn't sailed since the Voyager class ships had come out, I'd say you were in for a reality check, but what you got then is about what you'll get now.

I am glad to see no one responded with any changes. I had hear that Diamond privledges had been diminished. I love cocktails in the conceirge club. I had also heard about paying for room service and steaks in the dining room? I am hoping none of that is true?

Room service is still free between the hours of 5 AM and midnight... between Midnight and 5 AM it's a $3.95 service charge.

As for the steak... there is a steak on the menu each night that costs extra, but there is also still the option of the free steak (well, pre-paid with your cruise). The upcharge steak is from Chops.

Diamond doesn't mean much any more. Also Junior suites really get no perks other than a extra point. They used to get you in the concierge but no longer. I think the name should be changed to superior balcony or something other than suites.

For the most part the experience is still the same with only a few changes and we have fiound service standards have remains high (can't say about the medical service though)

Diamond no longer gets you access to the concierge lounge on most ships (it does on Freedom and Oasis class where there is a separate concierge lounge for suite passengers), instead there is a diamond event, which i believe offers a more limited range of drink, (not cocktails). You now have to be diamond plus to get into the concierge lounge on all ships.

The menus; not much difference in a few years, there has been a premium steak added to the MDR menu which you can pay for (so this is an added option), but the standard steak is still available. Lobster tails on formal night are now part of a fisherman’s platter with garlic prawns.

No more chocolates on the pillow at night

Reduction in wine waiters/bar servers in the MDR

Charge for room service between midnight and 5 am

Some of the coupons in the loyalty book have channged (no more free JR).

I think that covers most of it.

The biggest change is that no one (Gold, Platinum, Diamond or D+ or first time cruiser) can combine benefits anymore. So if you use Plat/Diamond balcony discount, certain special sales prices, any coupons or stock owners OBC, next cruise, booking on board OBC, etc., you have to choose ONE to use and may not combine them.

For many of us, we are talking about a loss of some real perks here.

We are Diamond members with RCI. Our last cruise was on the Freedom. After a bad experience (my son broke his finger and we had a horrible medical staff issue) we decided to try out other cruise lines. We have sailed both NCL and Carnival 5 times since talking a break from RCI. We are coming back on March 18th to sail the Navigator out of Miami. I heard that RCI has made some cuts to it's loyalty program and downgraded it's dining room food. Am I in for a shock? With 13 RCI cruises in the past should I not expect much the same level of food and service as in the past?

Before anyone flames me about the medical thing - yes it was ugly and yes we filed complaints - nothing was ever done and no response was ever received from RCI. Any time a child is hurt it is tramatic and no it was RCI's fault he got hurt. Our problem was with how it was dealt with and the total lack of the medical staff's inability with dealing with children.

I am posting asking for advice on the changes that have been made in the past few years - not to rehash old medical issues.

Thanks for your advice.

Crews are not as friendly and hardworking as they used to be. :(

Thanks for the advice and warnings. We last sailes in March of 08. So only 2 years ago. I loved the free drinks but always felt that they'd take that away at some point. We have fallen in love with Carnival after 12 RCI cruises I never thought that would happen. We are doing the Naivgator because of the dates we have to go somewhere. I am hoping to see that RCI is worth the extra money again. Compared to Carnival and NCL they are more expensive. I hope I see what I didn't remember missing. Wow I hope that made sense.

Thanks again!

Archived