What's in your pharmacy bag?

mistyinca

One thing that I didn't seem mentioned was the little "repair kit for glasses". Found ours near the check-out counter for $1.00. You never know when you are going to loose that little screw in your glasses or sun glasses.

Ahhh! good one...I'll go get for our kit!:)

Hi Lisa and Bobby, Ibuprofen products, such as Advil and Motrin work best for muscle aches and pains and some people swear by it for headaches. ( it can cause mild stomach upset, if so, just take it with a small snack or a cracker or cookie... Excedrin is a combination of Acetaminophen, aspirin and Caffeine. This is a miracle drug for me for headaches. It works fast and does the job with only one dose. Be careful though, if you take it too late the caffeine my keep you awake. Tylenol is aetaminophen, some take it because they cannot take aspirin products. Some people swear by it. Personally, it does not work well for me. It boils down to what works best for you.

***** For hangovers, there is a new product OTC. It is called, Wake-up-Call and is made by Alka-Seltzer. They are small citrus flavored tablets that you disolve in 4oz of water. They contain, aspirin, caffeine and vitamin C. They really do work well. There are other brands on the market that work similar. Have a wonderful cruise.

Another thing I wanted to add was what I call a "cocktail" recommended by a doctor years ago for acute pain. If you don't have access to a prescription, and have bad back pain for example, he said to take 2 tylenol and 2 otc ibuprofen together. I found that it works.

Disclaimer: I am not a doctor and am only sharing what I was told by a family physician. Check with your own doctor before trying the same.

In addition to the above, I would add, a travel size can of Lysol spray and a travel size of Lysol wipes. Keep them in your purse or carry on (as luggage may arrive later) and the first thing upon entering your cabin, spray the air-vent. As a health care professional I can tell you with all certainty that air vents are often overlooked when cleaning and it is a breeding ground for airborne virus. This is one of the number one areas that the CDC states is notorious for infection. Spray the air vent very well with Lysol spray then wipe off all doorknobs and any other surfaces that you feel necessary with the wipes.

I realize that this is not a pharmacy item but it would fall under preventative. Better safe than sorry.

In addition, bring some individually wrapped antibacterial hand wipes and sanitizer.

We took lysol with us and sprayed our room when we entered, also the bathroom. Will remember to spray the vent when we go in December. Thanks board, we get so much good information here.

works for me as I get snotty/coff-y, in all that re-cyc air..and cold AC...E-mergen-C. The orange flavor is nice, It is like Alka and pop rocks in a glass. in sm. paks..tx for all the info, and I might add to my already ready zippy of meds..plus my scripts..Healthy cruzin to all

My pharmacy bag contains:

Advil

Excedrin

Relpax (for when Excedrin doesn't cut it)

Pepto Bismol tablets

some sort of antacid

DayQuil or Tylenol Cold or something along those lines

Ace bandage

band aids

blister band aids

first aid ointment

anti-itch cream

Zyrtec

some sort of antibiotic, just in case, like Z-pack

albuterol inhaler

throat lozenges

contact lenses (I wear daily ones, so I take about 10 pairs for a 1 week cruise, always good to have extra)

eye drops

steroid cream if I have an eczema flare up

That seems like a big pharmacy bag, but somehow, it all fits into a make up bag. I think because I usually combine, I'll take some Tylenol, some Advil, and some Excedrin in one bottle.

I dont usually bring Airborne with us unless i think somee is "coming down" with something. |Then. like the vit c, i will dose em up pre cruise amd cont as needed. If you look at the ingredients, it is mainly zinc and vit c, just higher doses.|But the stuff does work. ANYTHING, to ensure a better time!

Burt's Bees: Dr. Burt Res-q-Ointment

Lavender Essential Oil (for sleeping, also any cuts or insect bites)

Rosemary Essential Oil (grows hair - mine is thinning)

Ricola Cough Drops

Vitamins

Aspirin

Imodium

Peppermints (upset tummy)

Hand wipes

Sunscreen

Wellpatch Pain Patches (backaches or pulled muscles)

The other thread about immodium prompted this one.

I remember before we took our first Splendor cruise last year that it is not a good idea to visit the infirmary because you can be quarantined. So since then I have packed a pharmacy bag.

I thought this would be a good place to share ideas some of us may not have thought of.

In my bag:

Immodium tablets

Pepto bismol tablets (take up less room than liquid)

rolaids

long acting acid prevention (like zantac or something)

tylenol

ginger capsules

non-drowsy dramamine

Robitussin DM gelcaps (cough suppressant)

Mucinex caplets

various antihistimines (claritin, benedryl, zyrtec--all tablet form)

neosporin

bandaids

cortaid

prescription pain meds

That's all I think of to need. I'd be interested to see if anyone has come up with something that I'm missing.

All of the above and

Ace bandage

eye drops

ear drops for swimmers ear

moleskin for blisters

denture repair kit

anbesol

your pharmacist can print out labels for all prescriptions. Then you can carry a weeks worth(or whatever you need) and just put the label on a little bag instead of carrying all the bottles, etc. I'm doing that on our next trip to save space.

I came down with the flu on one of my cruises. Since Tylenol doesn't work for me, I had a difficult time finding anything in the gift shop that would attack my symptoms. Since then I always bring a variety of cold/flu medicines.

Tooth cement!! I always lose a crown while I'm traveling. I lost one last week while out of town. Ughh

That is good advice and I would not have thought of it. My dentist advised Fix O Dent as a temporary alternative (which I keep on hand for this purpose) -- need to re-apply daily but better than going crown-less. Since we leave in a week -- this post is TIMELY.

My first aid bag has:

-Pain reliever (advil, ibu etc)

-Cold medicine gelcaps (day/night multipack.i got a cold on a cruise once and had to pay for $$$ medicine in the ship shop)

-Pepto Bismol (covers all stomach ailments)

-Bandaids

-Neosporin

-Extra contacts

-contact solution

thats really it! tylonol and pepto cover so many issues, i dont need much more than that.

• 4 weeks later...

Misty, thanks for posting this, b/c I woke up wondering about this stuff. For land travel I keep a bottle of advil,bynadryl,and tylenol in one lil bottle with it labeled just incase I get stopped by the cops and they toss my car {im paranoid,lol}, PLUS < I know whats in the bottle too,or anyone else.

Anyway, I was wondering about the precription meds. I take meds for bipolar, and stuff for my tummy, and now Im on Lortab as needed for my tummy issues. Im brave enough to have faith in baggage handlers, { maybe I shouldnt}, so the OTC stuff I pack in my suitcase to save room for other things in my carryon. I will keep the script stuff on my person,as I will be even more crazy w/o my physch meds. But the other stuff, its ok to pack into my suitcase and combine items in one bottle,right? Since I wont have anything illegal to board with, Im not worried about getting searched or anything,as I wont have anything to hide, but can I get away with my lil bottle of mixed meds? I read on various threads about taking stuff out of original packages. IE prilosec,tylenol sinus and stuff, but is that ok or will I need to haul all those lil otc boxes of stuff?

THanks for asking this. ALL I did was a lil search and whaaa laaa, here was this thread answering all I needed to know,mostly. Ive also not thought about some things, like eye drops and bandaids of all things. SInce Im not going with my babies, I smooth forgot them. I know Ill need to take my kitchen sink,meds wise, but dont really do that on land vacs, b.c we all know here in the US theres a flippin Walgreens on every corner.:D

P.S. the reason I take all kinds of tummy pills is b/c taking pepto is like spittin on a wildfire for me. I also take Gas Ex,incase anyone forgot that. And Misty, I shot you an email to your gmail. my name is Sarah

1. Blood Pressure meds

2. Antacids

3. Vitamin C

4. Baby Aspirin

5. Immodium

6. Cortizone Cream

7. V-I-A-G-R-A

8. Motrin (V-i-a-g-r-a gives me a headache...:D)

9. Small Antibacterial Hand Gel

10. Darvocet (in case I throw my back out again (See #7));)

11. Crown Royal (for all those things that the above won't fix)........:D:D:D

Number 11 is funny! I'm with you there!

Uhhhh nice lists - I really like the Crown Royal as well! :D

I forgot my "pharmacy bag" last cruise and had to wait in the purser's line 15 minutes to get Tylenol. Room service delivers pain killers as well - they ask if you want aspirin or non-aspirin. I asked for non and they delivered the opposite - thus the wait at the purser's desk.

Also, the gift shop cells bottles of Advil, Tylenol etc but they are very expensive!

Misty is correct, if you go to the medical center you may be subject to quarantine if you ask for immodium or similar. My DD was ill on our last day and she ended up in the infirmary most of the day and had IVs. They quarantined her but it was a moot point since she wasn't going anywhere. Just be aware, they know your cabin number and dining table number....

Burt's Bees: Dr. Burt Res-q-Ointment

Lavender Essential Oil (for sleeping, also any cuts or insect bites)

Rosemary Essential Oil (grows hair - mine is thinning)

Ricola Cough Drops

Vitamins

Aspirin

Imodium

Peppermints (upset tummy)

Hand wipes

Sunscreen

Wellpatch Pain Patches (backaches or pulled muscles)

I like this list :)

Archived