Need help on which hotel in Rome

freetocruise

Which would you stay at - Hotel Albergo del Senato or Hotel Lancelot? I have heard great things about both but they appear to be in very different areas. Which is the better area for transportation and walking? Also, there is a decent difference in price with the Hotel Lancelot being less expensive. Is it worth the extra to stay at the Albergo del Senato? I do appreciate ambience so if one hotel stands out, I'm more likely to choose.

I would appreciate any comments or opinions. Thanks.

The del Senato is at the dead center of the area most tourists are interested in. The Lancelot, by contrast, is at the southeasternmost edge of that area. If ancient Rome is your primary interest, the Lancelot is fairly close. If you're looking for a more general view of Rome, the Lancelot is going to be slightly out of the way.

The del Senato is at the dead center of the area most tourists are interested in. The Lancelot, by contrast, is at the southeasternmost edge of that area. If ancient Rome is your primary interest, the Lancelot is fairly close. If you're looking for a more general view of Rome, the Lancelot is going to be slightly out of the way.

Thanks for the response - it's a big help. What about public transportation - are both equally good for that?

Stayed at the Albergo del Senato pre-cruise in April 2008. As mentioned it is central to everything you may want to see. Since it is an easy walk everywhere,public transportation was not necessary,although there is a cab stand on the piazza. Looking out your window,it seems like you could reach out and touch the Pantheon.

Fantastic location,fantastic staff.

While this is the only hotel where we have stayed in Rome,it is so great that we have no interest in even considering others.

Have you gone to their site and used the webcam? It is neat.

Although I've not stayed at the Lancelot, I've considered it strongly -- both for the good reviews and, as eurocruiser noted, the proximity to the ancient Rome sites.

From looking at images of the Lancelot, it strikes me that both it and the del Senato are typical Italian-type hotels with a certain ambiance I like (they are individual, not cookie-cutter such as most American hotel chains). I think the del Senato is probably a bit more deluxe.

I don't think you would go wrong with either one. If you are a first-time visitor to Rome, and the del Senato won't "break the bank" I would recommend it over the Lancelot, mainly for the terrific location -- particularly nice for strolling and dining at night.

We stayed at the del Senato on our last visit. You just can't beat the location. We walked everywhere - no need for bus or taxi or whatever.

We stayed near the Spanish steps our first trip (Hotel Mozart) and while this area was nice - the del Senato is our choice for future visits. Right smack dab in the middle of where we want to be :D

Del Senato has an unbeatable location, great for strolling around in the evening before and after dinner, and many good restaurants closeby. It also is close to the Largo Argentina transportation hub for buses that cross the city from the Vatican to Termini as well as the tram to Trastavere.

I am really glad to read your responses about Albergo del Senato as we are going on our first cruise which is to the Mediterranean in August and booked 2 nights post cruise there. We travelled to Rome 2 years ago and were absolutley blown away with the Pantheon, it is just breath taking.The thought of staying in a hotel right next to it is so exciting. Looking forward to their roof top terrace also. So glad to hear others enjoyed their stay.

I am really glad to read your responses about Albergo del Senato as we are going on our first cruise which is to the Mediterranean in August and booked 2 nights post cruise there. We travelled to Rome 2 years ago and were absolutley blown away with the Pantheon, it is just breath taking.The thought of staying in a hotel right next to it is so exciting. Looking forward to their roof top terrace also. So glad to hear others enjoyed their stay.

Koala, ask for room 204. Deluxe double I think. The only room on the front of the hotel with its own balcony. There are others up top with a terrace (big $$$$) I loved watching the piazza wake up in the morning, then the crazy hustle bustle of the day, and then slowly go to sleep at night........

Thank you so much for that tip about Room 204 sounds fantastic. You must have had a great view of the Pantheon and the Piazza from the balcony. I think I will need to pinch myself waking up there in the morning.:)

Thank you so much for that tip about Room 204 sounds fantastic. You must have had a great view of the Pantheon and the Piazza from the balcony. I think I will need to pinch myself waking up there in the morning.:)

I tried yesterday to post 2 pics..... will not upload. Tried again just now and still showing "failed upload". Not sure why. We loved this room !

We also stayed at Albergo del Senato in 2005 and will do so again post cruise in May 2010. We had a fabulous room with a view of the Pantheon, and room comes with a great breakfast. Never even used public transport--walked everywhere (even to Vatican, but next time will take a taxi there). Area is terrific and always felt safe. Staff was fantastic, and helped us when we had to check out early due to pending hurricane landfall in Florida in 2005. You won't be sorry staying there.

To Koalagirl: One of the CC members who will be on the cruise with us has set up transfers with Romeinlimo. So far, I guess there are about 20-30 of us that are staying in Rome post cruise and the company will provide 4 and 6 passenger Mercedes to take us to the hotels. While the per vehicle rate didn't change, we know that the car will be full, so the cost is less per person than if you were just going as a couple. If you are interested in setting up something like that, go to the Roll Call site for your cruise and ask if people are interested in sharing a ride to the hotels for those that are staying in Rome. Our transfer will cost 29 euros each, and the driver will drop as off at our hotel. You can find the company at Romeinlimo.com. I am sure there are other companies that will do the same, but this company seems to get good reviews on CC.

I just LOVED this hotel. We spent only one night there (definitely not long enough!!) after a 10 day Med cruise on Holland America last year in August. It was our honeymoon and the hotel was sweet enough to have a beautiful bottle of Prosecco (Italian sparkling wine) in our room when we got there! They were very accommodating, the hotel was beautifully appointed and the bed comfy, the bathroom was the best shower I've EVER been in - want one of thos shower heads for home! I'd love to go back and stay there for a long time. We walked to the Colosseum and ancient ruins from there. No problem. I would also highly recommend the Eden Walks sunset tour - meeting point is close by and you'll get a greater understanding of this wonderful central Rome area you are in. Stay there! You won't regret it!!!

Price: Is it better to book the Albergo del Senato directly with the hotel or with a hotel reservation site such as hotels.com?

I have always found a slightly better deal by booking directly through the hotel. I've booked with them 3 times and am about to book a fourth.

Archived