bottles of wine

adelchamps

Great information...My wife and I weren't into wine so much on our first cruise. Now, some six years later, we've expanded our palates quite a bit and enjoy a bottle at least three nights a week. We are planning a trip to Alaska on the Pearl in August and will probably pack a few bottles we’ve already purchased. One of our favorite Walla Walla syrahs or an Oregon Pinot not offered on the cruise for a $15 fee is worth it when you consider the enormous mark-up.

One can always pull up the NCL wine list & see how much the price

of your choice of wine is & see if you will save enough in buying the

wine, hauling it to the ship-increasingly difficult since you can't take

it on board the plane:(-& paying the corkage fee to make it worth your

while. As an example, Beringer's White Zen sells for $24.00 on the

ship. I would not bother to buy it @ the store for $5.00, add the $15.00

corkage AND haul it to the ship & go through the tagging process. I

would however do it for a higher savings. In my defense, my DH & I

drink high-end wines. We saved a bundle by carrying on 4 bottles of

red wine & our bottle of Dom-bought cheap many years back:D-but we

were sailing from a "drive-to" port.

if we bring wine with screw off tops do we still have to pay the $15.00 since there is no cork?

The charge has nothing to do with the cork. It is to compensate the cruiseline for loss of profit.

The fee is the same if you open yourself, or they open it, if in the dining room, or your room, or even if you never drink it.

What is the corkage fee on boxed wine? It's improved over the past couple of years. (don't throw the popcorn!)

Have heard all kinds of stories about that as well: we never tried it, but some have said they were just charged the usual $15, someone said they were not allowed to bring it on period and I think someone else said it was about $30; who knows, we might give it a try..

Nita

I had heard or read somewhere they did not allow boxed wine. If so, my personal opinion is because that is so hard to spot, so ...

Anyways, the rule is $15 for each 750ml. So, it would add up, but still worth it.

I had heard or read somewhere they did not allow boxed wine. If so, my personal opinion is because that is so hard to spot, so ...

Anyways, the rule is $15 for each 750ml. So, it would add up, but still worth it.

technically, I think you are right, they do not allow it, but I have read of a few who have just paid a corkage fee. It sounds like one of the those, take your chances gambles.

Nita

Please don't blast me out of the water!:o But where would I find a list of NCL wines and prices? I would appreciate any help?:D

Not sure why you would get "blasted out of the water" for this question. Folks ask and it gets posted from time to time. Somebody here has one, and hopefully they will come along and post it again.

I found what I was looking for, thank you all, after reading this thread I made the decision to not hassle with bringing on a bottle of wine and paying the corkage fee. The DH and I are not big drinkers and I found a bottle of Beringer Zinfindel for $24. on the NCL Wine List. I also ordered some chocolate covered strawberries for the DS. Now on embarkation day the DH and DS will have a nice surprise!:D Can't wait to sail!:D:D

I found what I was looking for, thank you all, after reading this thread I made the decision to not hassle with bringing on a bottle of wine and paying the corkage fee. The DH and I are not big drinkers and I found a bottle of Beringer Zinfindel for $24. on the NCL Wine List. I also ordered some chocolate covered strawberries for the DS. Now on embarkation day the DH and DS will have a nice surprise!:D Can't wait to sail!:D:D

Whether or not to bring a bottle or two on is like whether or not to bring soda on, buy the soda card or just buy them separately. For those who are not big wine drinkers like you, I would do the same. We are not big soda drinkers so would never consider bringing soda on or even buying a soda card..For many is a huge savings.

Nita

We are flying in a day early for the March 28 Jewel cruise, partly to enjoy Miami Beach but also partly to hit a wine shop I know and get 12, possibly 18 bottles of wine. I've also crunched the numbers (though this is the first I've heard of a wine "package"); as you get into $30-$40+ wines (store price, not cruise restaurant price), the gap gets even wider. And don't worry, we hope to share lost of the wine... it's not just for me.

Speaking of, since this is a wine post I'll mention that we had an Oregon Pinot Noir last night, 2006 Cristom Sommers Reserve that was FANTASTIC. Try it if you like Pinot.

Hi I'm sailing on the Pearl on the 27th getting into Miami on the 26th. Where might this wine shop be? ;)

Well, we're actually going to Miami Beach, the shop is over there. May not be convenient if you are staying in Miami. You can look online (Google) depending on where you are staying, there are a couple downtown.

One can always pull up the NCL wine list & see how much the price

of your choice of wine is & see if you will save enough in buying the

wine, hauling it to the ship-increasingly difficult since you can't take

it on board the plane:(-& paying the corkage fee to make it worth your

while. As an example, Beringer's White Zen sells for $24.00 on the

ship. I would not bother to buy it @ the store for $5.00, add the $15.00

corkage AND haul it to the ship & go through the tagging process. I

would however do it for a higher savings. In my defense, my DH & I

drink high-end wines. We saved a bundle by carrying on 4 bottles of

red wine & our bottle of Dom-bought cheap many years back:D-but we

were sailing from a "drive-to" port.

I ordered a bottle of the Beringer's White Zen thanks to your post to have in our room on embarkation day as mentioned in an above post. Just wanted to thank you for the advice which obviously made a lot of sense to me.

Is the corkage fee more if you bring on a 1.5 liter bottle as opposed to the 750 ml?? When I booked with NCL (we booked with them directly) the rep said he thought it was $15 for the smaller and $25 for the larger - he also told me to pack vodka in water bottles --- but after reading the boards I am definitely not going to the "naughty room" will buy a bar setup. What about a box of wine - what do they charge for that - defintely everything is going in a carryon...thanks everyone!!

Is the corkage fee more if you bring on a 1.5 liter bottle as opposed to the 750 ml?? When I booked with NCL (we booked with them directly) the rep said he thought it was $15 for the smaller and $25 for the larger - he also told me to pack vodka in water bottles --- but after reading the boards I am definitely not going to the "naughty room" will buy a bar setup. What about a box of wine - what do they charge for that - defintely everything is going in a carryon...thanks everyone!!

think that is funny, the rep told you how to get vodka on!!! As for size and charge, it seems to depend on the mood of those working the collection desk: we did a regular and a 1.5 on our last cruise, we were charged the same for both, others have said it is higher, and some have mentioned a box of wine is a no no, others say they had no problems.

Nita

We got off the Star last Saturday and bought the wine package. The deal was that you buy 6 bottles and get 20% off but then they add the 17% service fee so you are basically getting the service fee back. Another couple we had dinner with did the exact same thing so we shared our bottles with each other. We purchased two bottles of a really good Zin, and a pretty good Melbec for @$33 each. We bought two red zinfandels to drink while on the sun deck for $24 each. We paid too much but I don’t like carting things around so the stress reduction was worth it to me.

We got off the Star last Saturday and bought the wine package. The deal was that you buy 6 bottles and get 20% off but then they add the 17% service fee so you are basically getting the service fee back. Another couple we had dinner with did the exact same thing so we shared our bottles with each other. We purchased two bottles of a really good Zin, and a pretty good Melbec for @$33 each. We bought two red zinfandels to drink while on the sun deck for $24 each. We paid too much but I don’t like carting things around so the stress reduction was worth it to me.

it might sound like it was a wash, but had you purchased the bottles separately you wouldn't have gotten the 20% off and still would have had the auto tip added..

Nita

We are flying in a day early for the March 28 Jewel cruise, partly to enjoy Miami Beach but also partly to hit a wine shop I know and get 12, possibly 18 bottles of wine. I've also crunched the numbers (though this is the first I've heard of a wine "package"); as you get into $30-$40+ wines (store price, not cruise restaurant price), the gap gets even wider. And don't worry, we hope to share lost of the wine... it's not just for me.

Speaking of, since this is a wine post I'll mention that we had an Oregon Pinot Noir last night, 2006 Cristom Sommers Reserve that was FANTASTIC. Try it if you like Pinot.

My name is Lisa and I'm on your cruise. If you overestimate I'll be happy to buy bottles from you. They'll never go to waste. A previous poster was worried about his wife hanging out w/ you too much. I'll he walking the halls looking for you. :)

We're on your cruise and we too are bringing wine...we could maybe find a Cristom if you are interested as we are wine snobs and might have one in the basement. We plan on bringing 12 bottles in a wine shipper and maybe carrying on a sparkler to enjoy on our balcony! Donna

Archived