Zuiderdam VS Glory

fdlacey

Hello,

I am new to cruising and attempting to plan my first cruise for my husband and me. I am debating between a cruise on the Zuiderdam or on the Carnival Glory, both to the Eastern Carribean. I have read all of the reviews and can't decide which would be better. If any of you have any opinions I would really appreciate it. Some info on us that might influence your answer. We are both in our early-mid 30's. We are planning this cruise for a romantic get away (without our 2 young kids) to celebrate him returning from Iraq as well as our 10th anniversary. We aren't big partyers and are looking for a quiet, relaxing, fun trip. Thanks for your help!

in my experience, the differences between carnival (think a floating fraternity party at a days inn/motel 6) and holland america (think hyatt/hilton/marriott upscale resort) couldn't be greater. they're both owned by the same conglomerate but miles apart on experience. if you want a relaxing, romantic experience without the partyers definitely go with zuiderdam. friends don't let friends cruise carnival.:D

Hello,

I am new to cruising and attempting to plan my first cruise for my husband and me. I am debating between a cruise on the Zuiderdam or on the Carnival Glory, both to the Eastern Carribean. I have read all of the reviews and can't decide which would be better. If any of you have any opinions I would really appreciate it. Some info on us that might influence your answer. We are both in our early-mid 30's. We are planning this cruise for a romantic get away (without our 2 young kids) to celebrate him returning from Iraq as well as our 10th anniversary. We aren't big partyers and are looking for a quiet, relaxing, fun trip. Thanks for your help!

I think that the Dave is a bit hard on Carnival. It's reputation of being a frat party if probably based on Carnival from 15 years ago. DW and I went on Carnival two years ago during spring break, and we fit the typical demographic. It was mainly couples in their 30s and 40s with kids.

With that said I'd probably also recommend the Zuiderdam for a relaxing time. Carnival Glory is 34% larger (110,000 tons vs. 82,000 tons), but it holds 61% more people (2974 vs. 1848).

Thank you so much for your opinions. We are going to go with the Zuiderdam. Now, I have a couple more questions. We are looking at stateroom 6040 or 6042. Does anyone have any info. on those? Also, I was wondering if anyone has used Cruise Compete to book their cruise. I worry a little because some of the quotes are so far below other rates we have seen. I just wonder if they are reliable. One last question, does anyone know which insurance has good military policies? With my husband being in Iraq, one never knows what might happen between now and June. Thanks again for your help.

according to the deck plan, 6040 is a bit further from the elevators and thus possibly slightly quiter than 6042, that would appear to be the only difference. can't really comment on cruise compete, alot of the online wholesalers offer a price match guarantee. so if you see a good price go to a name you know and ask them to match the price you've seen elsewhere. i don't know if any cruise insurance programs have specifically military clauses but holland america's own cancellation plan (to the best of my knowledge) covers for any reason up to 24 hours prior to departure (standard = 80% refund of cruise fare portion, platinum = 90%)

hope this helps, and yes i was a bit harsh on carnival, they do live up to the moniker "fun" ships, just a little non-stop for me. have a great time and i think i speak for everyone on the board when i give you and your husband a BIG thank you for your family's sacrifice.

have a great time, no one deserves it more.:)

p.s. if you're booking through a travel agent, make sure you specifically ask for holland america's cancellation plan, the travel agent may normally use a third-party insurer that doesn't have HAL's liberal refund policy.

Thank you so much for your opinions. We are going to go with the Zuiderdam. Now, I have a couple more questions. We are looking at stateroom 6040 or 6042. Does anyone have any info. on those? Also, I was wondering if anyone has used Cruise Compete to book their cruise. I worry a little because some of the quotes are so far below other rates we have seen. I just wonder if they are reliable. One last question, does anyone know which insurance has good military policies? With my husband being in Iraq, one never knows what might happen between now and June. Thanks again for your help.

What did cruise compete quote you? We are thinking about getting married on Zuiderdam this summer and just wondering what price they quoted you and for what dates?

tree25 - If you are considering getting married in St Thomas or St John while cruising the Zuiderdam - you are making an awesome choice! With the extra long time in port that the Zuiderdam provides, you will not feel as rushed. The courthouse is right in the middle of downtown Charlotte Amalie (must visit that first before the ceremony is performed). We married on St John while on a cruise in 2003 (different cruiseline) but returned to our wedding beach this past November - specifically choosing Zuiderdam for the extended time in port (and also because of our wonderful experience on HAL Maasdam the previous Thanksgiving). Good luck!

Thanks again for your help, Dave. I will check into HAL's insurance policy. It seems that a lot of the trip insurance companies have an exclusion that if it has anything to do with war, they won't cover it.:mad: Thanks also for your kind words. It is good to hear that people appreciate the sacrifices that my husband and all members of the military are making.:)

Tree 25, I'm not sure if I'm supposed to post prices or not, I don't want to get in trouble with the board.:confused: But, I got a quote for the June 11 sailing of the Zuiderdam for less than $1100 per person, including taxes, for a category VB room. I hope it helps. Who knows, maybe we will see you on board. I think it would be so much fun to get married on a cruise. Good luck!

I noticed cabin 4164 (cat VC) is open for your sailing date. It's balcony is twice as long. My wife and I were on the ZUI in nov. We did the alone type vacation (without the kids). We enjoyed the pace of the ship. We have been on Carnival with the kids and it was great. It was a vacation for the kids. Also, when booking read the fine print, some travel agents charge fees for changing anything or canceling. Good Luck

Fdlacey,

I just wanted to add a couple of things. If your husband is in the military, have you tried USAA Cruise Travel? They will match any rates you find before you book with them and they are very reliable. They will ask for your member number, so you will have to find out how to join USAA. Carnival also has military rates, but you have to ask for them. I would call HAL and ask them specifically. Alot of companies have great discounts for active duty military that are not public knowledge. My husband is retired now, but my friends husband is stationed in Iraq and she gets alot of discounts. I also heard that Las Vegas is offering one of there wedding chapels free to active duty military, there are alot discounts available to our service members.

Thanks again for all of your help! I just booked cabin 6042, which I had on hold since last week (I kept extending my hold). I chose to go with that one because the prices suddenly jumped on the cruise I wanted. Stever, I asked my travel agent about switching cabins and she wasn't sure that she could still keep it at the lower price that I had on hold. Janice, thanks for the help with military rates. I had looked into USAA and their prices were quite a bit higher. After seeing your post, I was going to call them with the lower quotes I had received, but then the prices went up making the old quotes obsolete. I will remember to do that for my next cruise, though. Also, Carnival did offer some very nice military discounts which I really appreciated, but I decided that for this cruise we would be happier with HAL. We might choose to take advantage of those rates when we decide to take a cruise with the kids. Thanks again to all of you!:)

fdlacey: Let me add my thanks to you and your husband for your service to our country.

We are grateful. I hope you have a great cruise.

I have cruised both HAL and Carnival many times. You made the right choice, but sometime later on, go over and try a Carnival cruise. It will be different, but not necessarily bad. You might have a blast. Who knows?

Having just sailed on the Zuiderdam last month, and considering previous cruises on Carnival, I would suggest you take a good look at Celebrity and Princess. In my opinion, both are far superior choices. I believe the food, service, entertainment and maintenance of the Celebrity and Princess ships are much better. The Zuiderdam was the one big dissapointment of all my cruises, and I have taken many. I will not be doing business with HAL unless they clean up their act!:(

We were originally booked on the Zuiderdam, after reading posts on this and other forums, we were skeptible about the Zuiderdam, hearing many to say certain parts of the ship smelled like sewage, bathroom toilets not workng properly, entertainment very lacking (very quiet in the evenings after the main show- think people comparing it to Carnival as Carnival does offer more choices/variety on their entertainment all hours), people say they felt closed in as the ceilings were lower, hallways to get around were somewhat difficult like a maze, no deli/sushi/chinese stations (Carnival offers more choices when it comes to food), service in the dining room went down hill (these are people who have cruised on other HAL ships in the past) and people found public areas especially the dining room to be warm- well I said enough of what we read. I wrote to some and they verified these problems and the sewage smell and toilet problems got to us and we bailed out and got our deposit back. Some had didn't experience sewage or toilet problems seeme to be a certain area on two decks on the Zui, but I don't want to spend the money and chance it. We were booked for a balcony cabin and gave it up, decent price. My cruise agent gave us a price of $969 per person (July 2 which is the high season) cannot recall the deck but it was the second level with balconies...

We went back to Carnival as we always do after trying other cruise lines such as Princess, Celebrity and RCI. Carnival offers alot more choices when it comes to food, the new ships have a sushi bar (I don't eat this though but want to mention all), deli which is wonderful, chinese station, fish and chips, in addition to 24 hour pizzeria with calzones and caesar salad, the grill and a very large salad bar, 24 hour ice cream and still has midnight buffets daily (others do not). Entertainment in the evening you have more choices to choose from and they also have the midnight adult comedy shows. Just alot more...staterooms also on Carnival are larger rooms.

We booked the Victory and could not afford the balcony it was more money than the Zui but that is fine.

I just want to bring this to your attention as an experienced cruiser. Many have come off the Zui (read past posts and also on other cruise forums) and not happy. But one thing about HAL nobody ever complained of the food! HAL tends to gear with older crowds (we are 42 with children) and their entertainment gears to the age group. I heard the ship is quiet in the evenings...where Carnival things are always going all night long.

This is just my advice if somebody argues we are all here to give our opinions and advice so Happy Cruising to all!

lyndamr, I think you sized it up very well. We cruise both HAL and Carnival and enjoy both, but Carnival is certainly more lively and offers more choices in many departments.

What it lacks is the quiet and sedate atmosphere and the refined look and feel of the ships' interiors on HAL.

I suppose you can't have both on the same ship.

Archived