Have you used the new Passport Card?

We need to have our passports renewed and are thinking of getting the new Passport Cards since they only cost $20pp more. Has anyone ever used these cards? I guess I'm worried that I'll have problems boarding a Caribbean cruise with the card instead of the passport book.

You don't need either to get on a Caribbean cruise. However, if you need to fly home from the cruise the card is worthless for flying. The card is only good for land border crossings with Canada and Mexico.

We need to have our passports renewed and are thinking of getting the new Passport Cards since they only cost $20pp more. Has anyone ever used these cards? I guess I'm worried that I'll have problems boarding a Caribbean cruise with the card instead of the passport book.

I've used the card for boarding in both Port Canaveral and San Juan with no problems. As the previous poster stated, however, it can not be used for air travel, so if you have an emergency while cruising and need to fly then there might be issues. Personally, I have both. :D

Unless someone frequently crosses the Canadian/US or Mexican/US borders by land, there is little occasion to use the passport card. It is not a valid substitute for a full passport if you are flying into or out of the US and it is not needed if you are on a "closed loop" cruise in the US (a certified birthcertificate and government issued photo ID will do). It is slightly less expensive than a "real" passport but its uses are severely limited.

Unless someone frequently crosses the Canadian/US or Mexican/US borders by land, there is little occasion to use the passport card. It is not a valid substitute for a full passport if you are flying into or out of the US and it is not needed if you are on a "closed loop" cruise in the US (a certified birthcertificate and government issued photo ID will do). It is slightly less expensive than a "real" passport but its uses are severely limited.

We're aware of all of that. We're getting our passports books renewed and were thinking of getting the passport card in addition so we wouldn't have to carry our passport books when we take a Caribbean cruise. I was just concerned that the RCI employees were familiar with the cards so check-in wouldn't be a problem.

I have both

Same here. When we get on board, we put our passport cards in the safe and leave them there until the end of the cruise. The cards were designed for one purpose: to get US citizens back into the US, so that's what they're with us to do if anything happens to our passport books during the cruise. Any status the cards have outside the US is up to the whims of each foreign country, so we would never carry the cards in lieu of our passport books while traveling. As has been said before, the card is of no use if you need to fly, and we don't want to have to deal with finding a US embassy to get new books if an emergency comes up and we need to fly back ASAP. Some people don't want to carry their passport books around in case they might get lost or stolen, but I would much rather deal with getting a replacement under those circumstances (which will also be easier to do because of still being able to retrieve our passport cards back on the ship to prove our citizenship) than under some critical time pressure, especially a health-related one.

So, if you can afford it, get both, carry the books, and leave the cards in the safe to make sure you can get back into the US if something happens to the books.

Same here. When we get on board, we put our passport cards in the safe and leave them there until the end of the cruise. The cards were designed for one purpose: to get US citizens back into the US, so that's what they're with us to do if anything happens to our passport books during the cruise. Any status the cards have outside the US is up to the whims of each foreign country, so we would never carry the cards in lieu of our passport books while traveling. As has been said before, the card is of no use if you need to fly, and we don't want to have to deal with finding a US embassy to get new books if an emergency comes up and we need to fly back ASAP. Some people don't want to carry their passport books around in case they might get lost or stolen, but I would much rather deal with getting a replacement under those circumstances (which will also be easier to do because of still being able to retrieve our passport cards back on the ship to prove our citizenship) than under some critical time pressure, especially a health-related one.

So, if you can afford it, get both, carry the books, and leave the cards in the safe to make sure you can get back into the US if something happens to the books.

I plan to do the exact opposite, leaving my book in the safe and taking the card. I'm of the mindset that I'd rather not risk getting my passport book stolen ashore. Knowing that I take the risk of missing the ship and not having it to fly. To me, it is more likely that the passport will be stolen than it would be for me to miss the ship (others will disagree).

My feeling/opinion is that the passport card (which fits easily in my wallet) will help the embassy to secure me a temporary passport for travel purposes. Others photo copy the passport book (I'd rather have the more official card).

I have a passport card because I waited until it was too late and found out through a friend that I'd get my card faster (I've had passport issues since I was a child, they were able to get the red tape cleared). When I get back I'm changing to the full passport book. I receive a red flag from the state department when I tried to get the book, long story, but at least I have my passport card. My companion will be using her birth certificate.

We're aware of all of that. We're getting our passports books renewed and were thinking of getting the passport card in addition so we wouldn't have to carry our passport books when we take a Caribbean cruise. I was just concerned that the RCI employees were familiar with the cards so check-in wouldn't be a problem.

They are very much accepted, and the purpose is not only for the border countries, but also for cruising the Carribean, as it clearly states on the official passport web pages. I much rather have that in my wallet (which is often getting wet while swimming) than a drivers license for ID.

I plan to do the exact opposite, leaving my book in the safe and taking the card. I'm of the mindset that I'd rather not risk getting my passport book stolen ashore. Knowing that I take the risk of missing the ship and not having it to fly. To me, it is more likely that the passport will be stolen than it would be for me to miss the ship (others will disagree).

My feeling/opinion is that the passport card (which fits easily in my wallet) will help the embassy to secure me a temporary passport for travel purposes. Others photo copy the passport book (I'd rather have the more official card).

I agree. I only carry my card. The card can get wet. It never leaves my wallet, which never leaves my swim trunks. Also, you need a passport to get into the country, not leave the country. So you get stranded, right, and need to fly home. You will be detained at the entry point, which would be in the US, and you have an official US passport (which is a card).

It is good to have both if your plans in the future might include Europe. I felt more comfortable carrying the card while ashore for ID and changing money while leaving the passport book locked in the safe onboard. While in Dubrovnik everyone had to show picture ID to leave the port, even all children. The passport card was great so we didn't have to worry about losing the passport book. Happy cruising !! :)

I agree. I only carry my card. The card can get wet. It never leaves my wallet, which never leaves my swim trunks. Also, you need a passport to get into the country, not leave the country. So you get stranded, right, and need to fly home. You will be detained at the entry point, which would be in the US, and you have an official US passport (which is a card).

That is not correct. You won't be able to board the plane on whatever island you are stuck. You do need the passport book to fly.

That said, as I already said it before many times. The card is great for people that live along the Canadian and Mexican borders and need to cross the borders on regular basis for work, family visits, shopping or whatever and they use land transportation only. It was specifically designed for that purpose.

While the card can be used for cruises to the Caribbean and it will be accepted by US authorities upon return, it is useless for flying in case of emergency, so unless you hire a boat to bring you back, you will need to see the local American Consulate before you can get home if you're stuck on the islands.

Get a passport book, and only get the card if you cross our land borders on a regular basis, otherwise it's really not worth the cost.

AIR TRAVEL

ALL PERSONS traveling by air outside of the United States are required to present a passport book or other valid travel document to enter or re-enter the United States.

LAND AND SEA TRAVEL

ALL PERSONS traveling by land and sea outside of the United States are required to present a passport book/card, or other valid travel documents to enter or re-enter the United States.

The new wallet-size U.S. Passport Card is a travel document that can be used to enter the United States from Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean, and Bermuda at land border crossings or sea ports-of-entry. Note that it cannot be used for international air travel. The passport card is more convenient and less expensive than a passport book.

We took our niece with us on a cruise last fall and got her a pass card. It's highly unlikely she will leave the country again before it will expire and it was significantly cheaper to get her the card. We did not have any issues with her checking into the cruise or getting back into the country with the pass card.

Archived