Kids on explorer of the seas

Hello:

For the first time we are taking 2 boys, 9 & 11, on the Explorer. Can anyone give any advice regarding the following: Do they have a type of walkie talkies so we can keep in touch with the kids? Do we dare let the kids off on their own for a while or only under some kind of supervision. What kind of activities do they have for them on the ship? I'm really nervous. These are my boyfriends kids and this was my idea so I want to know what I am in for. Any suggestions from your previous experience with cruising with kids, the Do's and Don'ts would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance for any help.

As long as you trust the kids to comply with any "rules" you may give them, going from "point A to point B" shouldn't be a problem.

You'll find that there are only a couple areas where the kids will hang out....the kid's club, of course, the pool, arcade, promenade, and sports deck. There's really no other spot for them to be!

As long as you go over the day's plans and set up some "meeting spots", you shouldn't need electronic communication. Just tell them, for instance, "We'll be at the pool, and will meet you in the WJ at 11:30 for lunch"...easy and efficient! If your plans change, leave a note in the cabin!

I agree with cb, and will add that using the walkie-talkies didn't work well at all for us on Adventure in 2008 - oldest was 12 at the time and free to roam as part of the 12-14 kids club. We wanted to be able for him to check in and the walkie-talkies were useless within all of the steel structures (and to be heard over the steel drum band at the pool). Ships telephones work GREAT to leave messages on your room phone when plans change.

In 2009, we allowed youngest DS (11) and oldest DS (13) to roam free, and set up meeting times & places as described. They were easily able to find us - and vice versa - and we had all of our meals together.

I had no worries and they understood that "freedom" was a privilege and they had to be responsible about it.

We also checked our on-board account every day or so just to make sure the arcade charges weren't running up too high. I gave each of the boys a budget, and they had their own money they were contributing for arcade, Ben & Jerry's, etc.

At 9 & 11, the kids club still has tons of organized activities, so you may find that they spend most of their time right there. You can give them the privilege to sign themselves in and out so that you don't have to go pick them up and drop them off. The 12-14 kids club is far "looser" in activities and the kids are mostly on the sports deck playing basketball, mini-golf, in-line skating, or climbing the rock wall. You know, all that boring stuff.:)

I am more on the cautious side. My daughter is 10 and no, I don't let her roam the ship alone, at this point. The ship is a floating city. I wouldn't let her walk down a city street alone, even with a 10 year old friend to the store. So no, at this point, she is not walking to activities without me on a ship.

And she's been on 8 ships. So she's not new to cruising. But I still don't feel comfortable letting her on her own.

I always think its better for everone involved if the parents walk the kids to the activities. Whenever you see a complaint post that kids were "jumping down the stairways almost knocked me over" - "playing with the ice cream machines" - "pushing all the buttons on the elevators" - "ringing the doorbells on the suites and then running" and just causing general mischief - its because the parents have no idea where their kids are.

And always people think it's "not MY kid" doing those things ;) because everyone's child is the angel. Until they get on the ship. And then it IS their child.

So at that age. Supervise the kids. Walk them to Adventure Ocean. It's not the job of the crew (or any other passenger) to watch our kids.

The schedules for Adventure Ocean is at the link in my signature. So you can see the type of activities that the kids can do together at AO. But I wouldn't just send them off. It is a floating city. :)

Torilyn, just so you know I think everyone has this exact concern the first time they cruise with kids. I was so worried that one of them would fall overboard! They have safely been on 5 cruises. There is a great "kids" contract that someone has posted - try searching for it. We've always had similar rules. I have two boys so I understand your concern :)

By the way, we live in Dallas now but my husband graduated from Union High. When we go back we always get pizza and hot dogs!

I have sailed many times with my four boys. My youngest was nine upon his first cruise and I exercised probably too much supervision and didn't get to thoroughly enjoy my cruise. I have read some excellent pointers and would suggest the following:

1. Invest in the walkie-talkies (and keep extra batteries). Make sure the kids keep their walkie-talkies on the same channel as your walkie-talkie.

2. Have them check in every two hours or so and vice versa.

3. Get them involved in their appropriate age group activities. Counselors are assigned to their age specific youth group.

4. Definitely check your on-board account daily. My youngest discovered endless uses for his seapass card in the arcade ($200 in one day) and my teenage son was buying virgin daiquiris for all his new friends.

Remember, it is their vacation as much as yours - so enjoy. They'll be fine - just set boundaries.

Hi Torilyn,

I also live in Union and am taking my three girls on the explorer April 10 cruise. Are you on the same one? My oldest is nine and she goes to Hannah Caldwell and is in 3rd grade. My other two are 3.5 years old. I am really looking forward to the cruise. This is also our first cruise.

Also remember that cruise critic has a section called Family Cruises where everyone talks about dealing with kids on cruises. Check it out.

Heidi

Archived