Lunch in Labadee?

You can have the best of both worlds. We ate the dessert offered along with an ice tea and later went back and had lunch on the ship. This gave us enough time to shop and see some of the island and not suffer a bad sunburn.

We are very careful eating anything off any ship having been stricken with food poisoning. Once was enough, thank you! :( Not saying the food served is bad, but if you do not get to eat some items with mayo in them as soon as they are put out, there is a risk associated. Some of us are more sensitive than others.

It's nice that food is provided ashore for those who do not wish to return to the ship to eat lunch on board.

MARAPRINCE

Just off the Freedom today. There were no ribs or BBQ on the buffet last week. There was Hamburgers, Hot Dogs, Jerk Chicken and sliced pork. The pork had no BBQ sauce on it and there was no packets of sauce available. Cole Slaw, Potato Salad, Fruit, Salad, Cookies, Cake. It was very good to be an outside buffet. We ate as soon as it was served. We enjoyed it. We noticed that the cole slaw and potato salad did not have mayonaise in it, but was very tasty.

The lunch on Labadee was okay. Burgers, ribs, several salads, fruit, dessert.

It is served outdoors, and it's more difficult to do that. If you plan to eat lunch as soon as they begin serving, you're going to get fresher food that hasn't been sitting out.

Now that the ship is docked, it's much more feasible to go back to the ship, if that's what you want. Since that still means a long walk and going through security, I doubt my family will make the effort. We find the lunch perfectly acceptable.

One note to fellow Southerners: It is not what ya'll call BBQ -- not at all. You will not see any pulled pork with BBQ sauce. It's what Yankees call BBQ and we call a cookout.

Thanks so much for the note to southerners about the bbq, LOL! We are from Atlanta and will be sailing in a few weeks. Now I know what to expect :).

Is it a very long walk from the ship along the dock to the beach? We arrive at 8:00, but we thought we'd get off after breakfast. I'll assume the BBQ starts around 12:00ish? Was there any type of chicken parts available?

Thanks in advance for ANY input about Labadee. Where are the markets? far walk?

:-)

Hi, thanks for posting the great pictures. How is the water at the beach w/ the BBQ? Is it very rocky underfoot? I don't go far but do like to get in and cool off.

Thanks in advance!

PS any valuable info would be appreciated, as we've never been there before and look forward to the 'bbq and beach' day, and looking at the local vender merchandise....

Thanks again

If you rent a cabana on the private beach area , or are in a suite and have automatic access to the private beach area, then there is a different lunch offered, in that area. I don’t know the detains, as we weren’t in a suite and didn’t rent a cabana, but I heard it was very good. Friends ( who were sailing in a suite) told us there was a grilled fish served among other items. Perhaps someone has firsthand knowledge.

M

We have been to Labadee several times and have enjoyed it immensely. The food is your normal hamburgers and hot dogs with an assortment of salads. You are bound to find something you like. I love the pasta salad that they serve on the island. Whether or not you enjoy the food, you will enjoy the island. Have a great time.

Hi, thanks for posting the great pictures. How is the water at the beach w/ the BBQ? Is it very rocky underfoot? I don't go far but do like to get in and cool off.

Thanks in advance!

PS any valuable info would be appreciated, as we've never been there before and look forward to the 'bbq and beach' day, and looking at the local vender merchandise....

Thanks again

The water was great when we were there. A bit cooler than I had anticipated (we were there in January of 09 and I honestly don't know if the water temp varies seasonally), but it was in no way 'cold'. And what was so surprising to me (stupidly) was that it was so salty. It is so clear that for some reason I expected it to not 'taste' like the ocean salt water from our local (eastern seaboard) beaches. I rented the floating mat once when we were there, and that (once you master the technique of getting on it) really made it relaxing and comfortable in the water.

I do not recall it being particularly rocky underfoot.

The pier had not been built when we were there, so I don't know if the swimming area I was at has been affected.

It is a very enjoyable day. The Haitian market (as I said above) is quite an experience. It can be overwhelming. The vendors vie for your attention relentlessly, but in a polite sort of way (always addressing me as "my lady"). You will see a huge variety of goods for sale. Some is touristy stuff, some is truly unique. My DH purchased an awesome hand-carved walking stick that unfortunately split due to the temperature change from going to Haitian sun to a New Jersey snowstorm on our return. It hangs on our family room wall along with several other treasures from our visit.

Its a wonderful experience that touches you on many levels.

Rachel

If you rent a cabana on the private beach area , or are in a suite and have automatic access to the private beach area, then there is a different lunch offered, in that area. I don’t know the detains, as we weren’t in a suite and didn’t rent a cabana, but I heard it was very good. Friends ( who were sailing in a suite) told us there was a grilled fish served among other items. Perhaps someone has firsthand knowledge.

M

The lunch in the Barefoot Beach Club had grilled chicken breasts and steaks, which could be put on a plate or a bun, in addition to a selection of salads, hamburgers, hot dogs, and some desserts (including cookies). There may have been more (like the grilled fish), but I'm not a foodie so I didn't really notice (sorry). Not sure how this differs from what is offered elsewhere on Labadee (we didn't see), but it was pretty good.

We have been to Labadee several times and have enjoyed it immensely. The food is your normal hamburgers and hot dogs with an assortment of salads. You are bound to find something you like. I love the pasta salad that they serve on the island. Whether or not you enjoy the food, you will enjoy the island. Have a great time.

Thanks for the information and we are looking forward to being there! Do you recall about what time they started the BBQ - We dock early, will have breakfast and probably be ready to eat again :) by 12:00 or 1:00.

I'm sure they do not start cooking till then, even if we get there early to enjoy the sun and ocean:cool:

Other than walking, is there anyway to get over to the beach?

Thanks much for your information!

Thanks for the information and we are looking forward to being there! Do you recall about what time they started the BBQ - We dock early, will have breakfast and probably be ready to eat again :) by 12:00 or 1:00.

I'm sure they do not start cooking till then, even if we get there early to enjoy the sun and ocean:cool:

Other than walking, is there anyway to get over to the beach?

Thanks much for your information!

I remember them putting out the food around 11ish. It is all cleaned up by a certain time so check that out beforehand. The food is cooked on the ship and brought over, they don't cook it while you're there.

[quote name='cb at sea']We've always had good food there...it IS an outdoor venue, so it may not be "oven fresh", but shoot...when I'm around salt water and sand, I could probably eat almost anything....the ocean makes me hungry! It was perfectly fine.....typical "picnic" food![/quote]

Amen! When we get to Labadee, we are swimming and in the sun so much any food tastes good!. No it's not the Ritz, but it is good "picnic type" cookout food. The Ribs are very good. Burgers, the same that you get on board. The fruit and salads are abundant. Fits the beach day to a "T".
-----------------------------------
[SIZE=3][COLOR=black][FONT=Comic Sans MS]Sea ya! [/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana][/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][COLOR=black][FONT=Comic Sans MS]Ron and Lee[/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana][/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][COLOR=black][FONT=Comic Sans MS]Canton[/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=black][FONT=Comic Sans MS], [/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=black][FONT=Comic Sans MS]Ga[/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=black][FONT=Allstar][/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE]
[COLOR=teal][FONT=Calibri]Proud RCCL Platinum Member[/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=teal][FONT=Calibri] [/FONT][/COLOR]
[B][I][FONT=Tahoma]"In wine there is wisdom, in beer there is freedom, [/FONT][/I][/B][B][I][FONT=Tahoma]
[B][FONT=Tahoma]in water there is bacteria." – Ben Franklin[/FONT][/B][/FONT][/I][/B]
[B][I][FONT=Tahoma] [/FONT][/I][/B]
[B][I][FONT=Tahoma]We are proud Oasis Camel Cruiser – [/FONT][/I][/B][B][I][FONT=Tahoma]April 17, 2010[/FONT][/I][/B][B][I][FONT=Tahoma][/FONT][/I][/B]
[I][COLOR=#0033cc][FONT=Arial Black][URL="http://www.oasiscamels.com/index.html"]The Oasis Camels Website[/URL][/FONT][/COLOR][/I][FONT=Tahoma][/FONT]
[COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana] [/FONT][/COLOR]
[B][I][U][COLOR=black][FONT=Comic Sans MS]Previous Cruises – 59 Days at Sea![/FONT][/COLOR][/U][/I][/B][COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana][/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=red][FONT=Comic Sans MS]Carnival Mardis Gras - 3 Day [/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=red][FONT=Comic Sans MS]Bahamas[/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=red][FONT=Comic Sans MS] - April 1982[/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=black][FONT=Trebuchet MS][/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=red][FONT=Comic Sans MS]Carnival Destiny - 7 Days Western Carib. - April 1998[/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=black][FONT=Trebuchet MS][/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=aqua][FONT=Comic Sans MS]Princess Grand Princess - 7 Days Eastern Carib. - April 1999[/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=black][FONT=Trebuchet MS][/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=aqua][FONT=Comic Sans MS]Princess Sea Princess - 7 Days Western Carib. - March 2000[/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=black][FONT=Trebuchet MS][/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=aqua][FONT=Comic Sans MS]Princess Grand Princess - 7 Days Western Carib. - March 2002[/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=black][FONT=Trebuchet MS][/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=blue][FONT=Comic Sans MS]RCCL Navigator of the Seas - 7 Days Western Carib. - March 2003[/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=black][FONT=Trebuchet MS][/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=blue][FONT=Comic Sans MS]RCCL Mariner of the Seas - 7 Days Western Carib. - April 2005[/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana][/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=blue][FONT=Comic Sans MS]RCCL Freedom of the Seas - 7 Days Western Carib. - 6/18 - [/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=blue][FONT=Comic Sans MS]6/25/2006[/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana][/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=blue][FONT=Comic Sans MS]RCCL [/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=blue][FONT=Comic Sans MS]Liberty[/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=blue][FONT=Comic Sans MS] of the Seas - 7 Days Eastern Carib. - 7/19 - [/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=blue][FONT=Comic Sans MS]7/26/08[/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana][/FONT][/COLOR]
[U][COLOR=blue][FONT=Comic Sans MS]Booked & Paid Cruises[/FONT][/COLOR][/U][COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana][/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=blue][FONT=Comic Sans MS]RCCL Oasis of the Seas – Our Friends Cruise - [/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=blue][FONT=Comic Sans MS]April 17, 2010[/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=blue][FONT=Comic Sans MS] [/FONT][/COLOR]
[U][COLOR=blue][FONT=Comic Sans MS]Planned Cruises[/FONT][/COLOR][/U]
[COLOR=blue][FONT=Comic Sans MS]RCCL Allure of the Seas – Our Neighborhood Cruise - 2011[/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana][/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=blue][FONT=Comic Sans MS]The BIG One - [/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=blue][FONT=Comic Sans MS]Southeast Asia[/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=blue][FONT=Comic Sans MS] 14 day – 2012?[/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=blue][FONT=Comic Sans MS]The Med – 14 day – 2013?[/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana][/FONT][/COLOR]

Archived