Florence--train or "on your own" excursion

vamel

Thank you all for all the helpfull info!

The question left for me is what will the cost for a taxi from the port of Livorno to the train station be? Do we have to bargain our way trough? We are planning our own DIY to Lucca and Pisa by train. Thanks! -h8130

Thank you all for all the helpfull info!

The question left for me is what will the cost for a taxi from the port of Livorno to the train station be? Do we have to bargain our way trough? We are planning our own DIY to Lucca and Pisa by train. Thanks! -h8130

Assume about 20 Euro for the taxi from the port to Livorno Centrale, but that can be split with others, so see if you can double up.

Yes, 20-25 euro is about the going rate. Be sure to agree on this before you get in the cab.

Yes, 20-25 euro is about the going rate. Be sure to agree on this before you get in the cab.

Thank you! There are four of us. Good to know in advance the "normal" rate for the ride and not the "tourist" rate!

Please be careful, especially if you are not with a guide. I have been to Florence twice and it was the worst for pickpockets and gypies. One tall man on our trip was 'bumped' by a tiny litle woman with three cling children-she looked like she was holding their hands, but she had an extra one to reach into his pocket and take his money clip! Also, when around tourist sites, they will swarm all over you. Please, a suggestion, watch your bags/purses/etc. and do not acknowledge them when they try to talk to you. :eek:

Hank, thank you for your (as ever) insightful posts and comments. Here's a question for you: do you think that the proportion of cruise passengers who do their own thing, especially in European ports, is increasing? While in general I also prefer not to use cruise line excursions, I do have this nightmare of arriving at Roma Termini station for the last train to Civitavecchia, and finding 500 or 1000 fellow independently-minded cruise passengers, all of whom have got their ideas from Cruise Critic, all waiting for the same train!

That's why I always aimed for the "second to last" train. I ended up to have less exploring time, but at least I won't be stressed (what if it was too crowed, what if the train was delayed or even canceled).

Well, if there are more people like myself, you will find more space in your "last" train :)

Please be careful, especially if you are not with a guide. I have been to Florence twice and it was the worst for pickpockets and gypies. One tall man on our trip was 'bumped' by a tiny litle woman with three cling children-she looked like she was holding their hands, but she had an extra one to reach into his pocket and take his money clip! Also, when around tourist sites, they will swarm all over you. Please, a suggestion, watch your bags/purses/etc. and do not acknowledge them when they try to talk to you. :eek:

A guide is not going to save you from pickpockets nor is being part of a large walking tour (that just makes you a bigger target). The way to deal with pickpockets and purse snatchers (and this is a problem throughout Europe) is to use some common sense and protect your valuables. Some like moneybelts, others (me) like to put a few large rubber bands around a wallet and keep it in a secure pocket, some ladies wear their purses cross-shoulder, my wife uses a diaper pin to further secure the zipper on her purse, etc etc. European pickpockets are usually very professional and will look for the easy "mark." We are constantly amazed at the stupid things we see when traveling such as ladies who will put their purse under their chair in a cafe!

Hank

Take the train. We did this last year and it was no problem. We were off the ship as soon as allowed, shared a taxi to the station with several other people and had no problem getting to Florence. You do not need or even want a car in Florence, it is very walkable. We did leave around 3pm to make sure that we had no problem getting a taxi at the station (did not take the very last train allowed) and again had no problem finding a taxi back to the cruise ship - $20 each way shared with others. We will be taking my 72 year old mother on this same cruise next year and although we will hire RIL for Rome and another car service in Naples, we will definitely take the train into Florence.

Archived