3/14 PRIDE during Spring Break = DELIGHTFUL!

Cambrensis

Our week on the Pride was terrific -- fourth cruise, 3rd with Carnival. We loved the convenient Baltimore location. Rather than repeat the many valuable comments of similar posts, I will try to streamline this with real quick soundbites:

Port location, access, parking ($15/day), embarkation -- all absolutely smooth as silk. We had VIP boarding and were eating lunch on the Lido at 1:00 pm, first to arrive. Cabin ready at 3:20.

We had cabins 4237/4239 -- aft wrap suite (AWESOME!!!) with connecting door -- DW + self, and DS (21), DD (20), and DS (17). Sitting area was completely closed off and separate from neighboring cabin and suite bedroom so ideal for DD's privacy.

The extra space in the aft wrap suite was perfect for our family. More storage than we could use. Bathroom is nicer than mine at home! Despite the cooler weather, we REALLY enjoyed the wrap balcony. Very little wind, and was completely unaware of smoke from ship as others have mentioned. Saw a WHALE the morning of 1st sea day! So cool! We got plenty of sun -- even on days that did not get out of the 60s.

Forget the noise about the nudity. It is all classic art -- Rubens, Michelangelo's David for heavens sake. Great conversation starter with kids.:) Overall decor is very tasteful -- MDR is very pleasant, not garish like the awful purple "grapes" in the Miracle MDR.

I had concerns about the ships age (2002 I think) but it shows little wear and tear and is beautifully maintained.

Re: aft location (Main deck): some vibration from engines at higher speeds, but most of the trip to FL was only 12 knots so it was usually not noticeable, and when it was, it was not disturbing. Seas were actually quite calm the entire week, a little bumpy for the first day or so, but I have been in much worse. Noise from the ship's wake just sounded like a water fall (a pretty big one, yes ... but was kind of soothing AND it also masked the conversations from neighboring balcony.

Aft suite was the best suite we have been in -- actually 2 separate rooms (3 if you count the dressing room), so folks could hang out in the sitting area, while others could watch TV, read, or sleep in the bedroom which was completely closed off by two separate doors.

This was spring break -- and this was the most sedate, pleasant bunch of cruisers I could have hoped for. Over 700 (!!) kids under 18 aboard (they announced it!) and truly, I saw hardly any misbehavior -- a few whiny kids but I whine when I am tired and hungry too! A fair number of college kids, but again, they were really pretty well mannered. Only 1 or 2 examples of rudeness all week (and yes, it was on the Lido deck ... same couple, no less!).

Entertainment not bad -- ventriloquist Jerry Goodspeed was fabulous. Singers/dancers really very good. I did not go to all the shows, DW did most and enjoyed them all.

Service: first rate everywhere. Food: Not bad, not terrific. MDR was mostly quite good, Lido was just OK -- but you can always go to MDR for breakfast or lunch, which we did several times. The Lido deck cheeseburger was worth the trip to Level 9 at midnite (still can't believe I did it -- 3 times!:eek:

We did this cruise for relaxation and family time so the ports were kind of secondary (had previously been to 2 out of 3).

Port Canaveral day was chilly and gray -- so we stayed on ship (DD met friends on shore, did zoo and enjoyed it).

Nassau was a return visit -- not our favorite port. We had already seen Atlantis, so we just did the walking tour, shopped a little, we walked everywhere and it was not too bad ... saw more local color that way. Did NOT feel threatened or at risk at any time. People were very friendly. If you want a local recommendation and don't want to pay $6.50 for a beer at Senor Frog's, we were directed to the Taj Mahal pub on Parliament Street near the government buildings -- but it was not open when we got there about 4:00 pm, so went to Junkanoo Beach instead. Cheap drinks ($3 Kalik beer, $5 mixed drinks, nice guy working out of a little shack) and watched a beach volleyball game with some college kids and younger kids -- locals perhaps -- and everyone was just having a blast. Just good, clean fun. This is NOT a nice tropical paradise type beach but it is convenient and we weren't swimming anyway.

Freeport -- weather still on the cool side (70 or so) so we did not do water sports, just went to Our Lucaya area ($5 pp, 1-way in van) and went to free beach. VERY clean and pleasant, $10 for chairs. Vendors were everywhere but we bought a couple bracelets and necklaces and that made everyone happy. They are just trying to make a living and it is honest, at least. Drinks also very reasonable here ($4 beer, $6 drinks but generous size and I watched the pour). Bathrooms a short walk to the market area across main road. Usual array of shops. The shops at the Port are also decent -- typical of most ports. Port itself is fairly industrial but no different in this sense than most (including our home port of Baltimore).

If you live in the mid-Atlantic -- this cruise is an IDEAL first-timers cruise. For returning customers, it might be a little tame -- but the convenient access makes it a really economical choice. We had a great time, and 5 of us only racked up $200 on board all week -- we took 3 bottles wine, about 24 cans soda, and probably 10-12 liters spring water in 1.0 and 0.5 liter bottles. No problem.

Debarkation -- equally smooth and on our way by 11:15 or so. We didn't buy any booze or much other stuff, but customs barely looked at our Declaration form.

Now ... back to reality!:)

We were on the Pride with you this past week, and you are right! It was a FANTASTIC trip! The weather was great (it was actually warm for us Canadians) and the staff were all very friendly and smiling. Now its time to start looking at next year's cruise!

Hi -

We're cruising Pride in July and have the Deck 4 wrap & aft book as well but the port side. Glad to hear there is plenty of privacy - 2 TVs was enough for me to want to book the suite, I get tired of the cartoons that DD likes to watch in the morning. :D

Couple of questions:

Did you put your sodas & water in your checked luggage? I've read they may be cracking down on that now! But I don't want to board with a heavy suitcase full of pepsi ...

Also, did they give you a hard time about wine? We plan on bringing the max 2 bottles (me and DH), but I'll likely be boarding separately and DH will have 2 bottles ...

Lastly - what time do you recommend arriving at port to be among the earliest boarders and miss what I hear can be pretty bad traffic entering the parking? (Is it quicker if you have cash v. credit card to park?)

Couple of questions:

Lastly - what time do you recommend arriving at port to be among the earliest boarders and miss what I hear can be pretty bad traffic entering the parking? (Is it quicker if you have cash v. credit card to park?)

I've read in multiple reviews that the cash line is much shorter.

Freeport -- weather still on the cool side (70 or so) so we did not do water sports, just went to Our Lucaya area ($5 pp, 1-way in van) and went to free beach. VERY clean and pleasant, $10 for chairs. Vendors were everywhere but we bought a couple bracelets and necklaces and that made everyone happy. They are just trying to make a living and it is honest, at least. Drinks also very reasonable here ($4 beer, $6 drinks but generous size and I watched the pour). Bathrooms a short walk to the market area across main road. Usual array of shops. The shops at the Port are also decent -- typical of most ports. Port itself is fairly industrial but no different in this sense than most (including our home port of Baltimore).

If you live in the mid-Atlantic -- this cruise is an IDEAL first-timers cruise. For returning customers, it might be a little tame -- but the convenient access makes it a really economical choice. We had a great time, and 5 of us only racked up $200 on board all week -- we took 3 bottles wine, about 24 cans soda, and probably 10-12 liters spring water in 1.0 and 0.5 liter bottles. No problem.

Debarkation -- equally smooth and on our way by 11:15 or so. We didn't buy any booze or much other stuff, but customs barely looked at our Declaration form.

Now ... back to reality!:)

Happy to hear you had a good time. We leave for Baltimore in 45 short days. We're doing 2 nights precruise in the area and plan on getting to the ship as soon as possible. Can you suggest an early time that won't be too much sitting time? (have a 7 and 4 year old)

Also can you tell us how you took on the sodas/water and would you happen to have any pics of the free beach since that's what we are planning on for Freeport.

Thanks

My husband and I were on the Pride March 7th -14th and had a wonderful time also. We arrived in Baltimore at 1pm, paid cash for parking, and we were eating lunch by 1:30.

We checked a large duffle bag with a case of water, 12 pack diet pepsi, another 12 assorted sodas and juice, all made it to our cabin with no problem. I also carried on 2 bottles of champagne and a mixer which looked like an alcohol bottle. When my bag went through the x-ray the only question they asked is if I was with someone else, they didn't even open the bag. :D

We were running low on water and purchased another 12 pack in Port Canaveral at CVS. We walked on carrying it with no problem. They did make me throw away my opened soda.

All and all embarktion is simple and seems like you can bring on a large amount of water and soda with no problem. :)

Welcome back! So glad you had a wonderful time. I can't wait to get back on the Pride next year.

I was thinking of those who were sailing from Baltimore yesterday... the weather was just perfect in Maryland. I told the DH that if I were on the ship right now, I'd be laying in a chair and would have a DOD in each hand. LOL

Couple of questions:

Did you put your sodas & water in your checked luggage? I've read they may be cracking down on that now! But I don't want to board with a heavy suitcase full of pepsi ...

Also, did they give you a hard time about wine? We plan on bringing the max 2 bottles (me and DH), but I'll likely be boarding separately and DH will have 2 bottles ...

... can you tell us how you took on the sodas/water and would you happen to have any pics of the free beach since that's what we are planning on for Freeport.

Thanks

We carried on all beverages per Carnival rules. Yes it was heavy -- but we probably saved at least $150 doing so.

I would DEFINITELY recommend cash for parking. They moved us thru pretty quick ... I think we waited in line about 15 minutes ; when we arrived at the parking lot, at about 11:40, it was not too backed up yet. Folks were still disembarking when we went into the terminal.

Re: checking in: while we did have VIP, the line for regular check in was not too bad. But after you check in you wait and board by zone #, can't tell how long that might have taken.

I will see if DW took pics at Freeport. Of the several PUBLIC, in-town beaches we have done in the islands, it was by far the nicest (DW and DD said they liked Philipsburg, St Maartens better but the only thing I remember distinctly there was the cute topless gal (yes, only one ... cute one that is!:)). But I must concur with other posters -- you really don't need to pay for the resort amenities, unless you want to swim in the pool. We rented two chairs for the 5 of us so $20 vs $100 if we had done the resort -- and remember this is a SHORT port of call. By the time we got transport to and from beach, we only had about 2 -1/2 hours of actual beach time.

If I did it again -- I would do Paradise Cove (but only if it was warm enough to go in the water) - but email PLENTY of time ahead -- we waited til last minute and never got reply to our email. The Paradise Cove van didn't show up to the terminal til at least 8:45 am -- and we decided not to go both because of short day and cool weather.

You guys will enjoy your cruise!

Note to Vince -- didnt meet Svetlanna, unless she was the tall, exotic looking Czech gal working as an assistant matre 'd. This gal could have stepped off the cover of a fashion magazine and she just oozed class.

Note to Vince -- didnt meet Svetlanna, unless she was the tall, exotic looking Czech gal working as an assistant matre 'd. This gal could have stepped off the cover of a fashion magazine and she just oozed class.

I know who are you are talking about--the ass't matre 'd..and I believe that was her name, although I called her Suzanna for some reason.. She was such a lovely girl and my Mom and I chatted with her every night.

Great info - thanks for sharing!! We'll be on the Pride 10/31 for our FIRST CRUISE!! I've read in other posts about taking your own water and sodas. I think that's a great idea - hopefully my hubby won't mind dragging another bag on board! We have two girls (14 & 10) who are both signed up for Camp Carnival so I'm hoping they'll have fun and make some friends.

Glad you had a great cruise. Did the same cruise last month. Love the Pride! Booked her again for next Feb. Valentines/Anniversary cruise with hubby.

Talked to a couple of co-workers of mine yesterday and I think we are going to go on an all girls cruise on the Pride 12/5/2010.

Woohoo...can't wait! :)

Happy cruising!

I know who are you are talking about--the ass't matre 'd..and I believe that was her name, although I called her Suzanna for some reason.. She was such a lovely girl and my Mom and I chatted with her every night.

Sorry I missed seeing you guys on the cruise. Hope you had a great cruise!!!

Have fun riding topless in the Miada (sp?)..the car of course..not you..:p

Great info - thanks for sharing!! We'll be on the Pride 10/31 for our FIRST CRUISE!! I've read in other posts about taking your own water and sodas. I think that's a great idea - hopefully my hubby won't mind dragging another bag on board! We have two girls (14 & 10) who are both signed up for Camp Carnival so I'm hoping they'll have fun and make some friends.

I just printed my docs today, and I don't see any change to the policy regarding non-alcoholic beverages. We've always put ours in a checked bag (3 cruises on the Pride), and plan on doing so again in a few weeks. In the information that I can find, you only have to put the wine in your carry-on, not your water, sodas, etc.

I will see if DW took pics at Freeport. Of the several PUBLIC, in-town beaches we have done in the islands, it was by far the nicest (DW and DD said they liked Philipsburg, St Maartens better but the only thing I remember distinctly there was the cute topless gal (yes, only one ... cute one that is!:)). But I must concur with other posters -- you really don't need to pay for the resort amenities, unless you want to swim in the pool. We rented two chairs for the 5 of us so $20 vs $100 if we had done the resort -- and remember this is a SHORT port of call. By the time we got transport to and from beach, we only had about 2 -1/2 hours of actual beach time.

Thanks so much. If you don't want to or know how to post the pics here you can email them to me at bnc13 at hotmail dot com.

I agree it's much more economical, especially with a short port time, for a larger family. We are 4 so it could add up FAST just for a beach and a pool LOL.

Did you pay a ton for this...we are planning on going in July and were quoted a lot for the same two rooms? Too Personal?????

Are you talking about the cruise itself? I can't speak for the person doing the review but I can speak for mine. I have a coworker going in the middle of June and I'm going at the beginning of May. We paid almost the same amount for FOUR in an 8j balcony as my coworker paid for a TWO person inside. As far as the cruise itself, overall I think those of us that want to cruise out of a "home port" here in the north east pay a premium, wether it be Norfolk, NYC, or Baltimore compared to the Florida ports.

Did you pay a ton for this...we are planning on going in July and were quoted a lot for the same two rooms? Too Personal?????

Just for your comparison .. I looked at the May 30 Pride sailing on Carnival website. Of course May is probably a much more desirable month -- but looks like we paid about $700 less than current quote for that sailing for the 8M/VS suite combined. We felt pretty good about it but were also willing to pay a premium for the connected cabins.

Thanks for your review, I'm glad you had such a great cruise! Quick question regarding above:

we were going to pay $40 at our lucaya because we have a 3 year old with us and a bathroom is sort of a neccessity, which you usually don't get at a free beach. Was the bathroom really a reasonable distance away, or do you think it would be more worth it to pay $40 per person? I hate to pay so much for such a short day, but a bathroom is non-negotiable for her. Thanks for your help!

Thanks for your review, I'm glad you had such a great cruise! Quick question regarding above:

we were going to pay $40 at our lucaya because we have a 3 year old with us and a bathroom is sort of a neccessity, which you usually don't get at a free beach. Was the bathroom really a reasonable distance away, or do you think it would be more worth it to pay $40 per person? I hate to pay so much for such a short day, but a bathroom is non-negotiable for her. Thanks for your help!

I would pay the $40. Been awhile since I had an antsy squirming 3-year-old on my hands, but no, the walk to market area would not be easy or quick with a child in tow. Enjoy your precious babe -- these moments are fleeting and are gone in a heartbeat, or so it seems!

I would pay the $40. Been awhile since I had an antsy squirming 3-year-old on my hands, but no, the walk to market area would not be easy or quick with a child in tow. Enjoy your precious babe -- these moments are fleeting and are gone in a heartbeat, or so it seems!

Just re-read your note -- I think it is $20 per person a the resort, $40 total if there are 2 of you assuming the do not charge for babe -

Just went to My Lucaya last month and I'm a little confused as to what the $40 fee is for.

We took a taxi from the port for $5pp each way. Walked through the straw market for a bit and walked over to the beach. Next to the beach, about 500yds away is a hotel and out by their pools is a bathroom with multiple stalls and a shower. We could have just had the taxi drop us off at the entrance to the beach and walked 100yds down the side walk to the sand. Everything is that close.

The day at My Lucaya cost a total of $10/pp for the day. We did not even rent a chair as we brought our pool towel from the ship to lay on.

Pretty inexpensive day and not too much walking, which was good since my mother was in a wheelchair.

So, back to my original question, "what's the $40 for?".

Archived