What do kids wear in the dining room?

mh1973

Frankly, if your kids behave themselves I don't much mind what they wear. If they, and you, want them to be dressed up- great. If they want to wear capris- great. As long as they follow MRD protocol (inside voices, no whining, stay in your seats, mind your manners) what they are wearing seems immaterial.

Our son who is almost 3 always wore dress type shorts on the casual days and a tux/suit on formal night.

Same for this time...even though dh and I won't wear shorts in the dining room...my son will since he is so young...shorts on him can be "dressed" up with a nice polo shirt and nice shoes :)

This year my kids are 15, 13 & 11. Their first cruise, they were 9, 7 & 5. This is their eighth cruise, and they have never worn shorts to the MDR---even on embarkation day.

Our family code is "Sunday dress" for casual nights, and "Easter dress" for the elegant nights. You can probably guess what that includes.

I think that is great. I bet they know which fork to use also.

You are training them for life and they won't feel out of place any where. I only wish there were more parents like you out there that teach children how to act and become good members of the human race.

Our dgs will be cruising with us this sunday and we bought him a new suit to wear. He will wear nice pants and polo shirts on other nights. He has no problem with that. He will probably comment if kids his age wear shorts to the dining room.

I think that is great. I bet they know which fork to use also.

You are training them for life and they won't feel out of place any where. I only wish there were more parents like you out there that teach children how to act and become good members of the human race.

Our dgs will be cruising with us this sunday and we bought him a new suit to wear. He will wear nice pants and polo shirts on other nights. He has no problem with that. He will probably comment if kids his age wear shorts to the dining room.

Shorts are permitted in the dining room though, except for elegant night.

I always like to see families dressed nice for dinner...My kids like to dress up for nice occassions, so for us, it's not a problem.

the girls: cute sun dresses are always good, or dressy tops w/leggings.

the boys: grab some khaki's and a polo shirt, or button down and they are good to go. Nice plaid shorts with a polo works too.

You are training them for life and they won't feel out of place any where.

Thank you---you just made my day! We are doing our best to give them a well-rounded, balanced start.

I know different attire is acceptable in the MDR, and I don't fault anyone---frankly I'm too busy enjoying my cruise to even notice!!! This is our choice for our family. It makes for fabulous photo opportunities, and creates the atmosphere that we think befits the occassion.

My son (14 last week) wears dress shorts and polo type shirt except for Elegant night then he must wear pants. This is our Sunday church wear/Easter church wear. If it was formal, he'd have a white button shirt and tie on but it's not formal anymore.

But he can sweat sitting inside reading a book - he gets hot easily. He wears shorts year round including this past weekend during our freak March ice storm. He's a teenager - there are other battles to fight besides what he is wearing (as long as the t-shirt message is appropriate he is ok).

My son (14 last week) wears dress shorts and polo type shirt except for Elegant night then he must wear pants. This is our Sunday church wear/Easter church wear. If it was formal, he'd have a white button shirt and tie on but it's not formal anymore.

But he can sweat sitting inside reading a book - he gets hot easily. He wears shorts year round including this past weekend during our freak March ice storm. He's a teenager - there are other battles to fight besides what he is wearing (as long as the t-shirt message is appropriate he is ok).

DS(15) dresses the the same on a cruise and church. He would wear shorts 24/7 and usually does because in the winter he will wear shorts under his jeans since I can't buy the jeans skinny enough at the length he needs to keep his jeans up (he measures 29x36). IMHO as long as your host (the cruiseline) accepts dress shorts in their dress code in the MDR on non-cruise elegant nights then it is appropriate for us to wear them to dinner. The host sets the guidelines for appropriate.

So are they smiling sufficiently for you in this photo?:rolleyes:

2122582340094346881S500x500Q85.jpg

Nothing like switching the photo,I replied to.:rolleyes:

How about a large version of the one I replied to (your avatar) so we can all see if they all are smiling? If not,then we know they were not too thrilled.:D

Steve:D

Nothing like switching the photo,I replied to.:rolleyes:

How about a large version of the one I replied to (your avatar) so we can all see if they all are smiling? If not,then we know they were not too thrilled.:D

Steve:D

Trust me, it's hard to get three boys to smile all at the same time:eek:. No, they're not all smiling in the avatar photo. I haven't changed my avatar in several years (the photo is from Victory in 2006 - I never uploaded it to Webshots - and the oldest boy is in college now) and I finally figured out how to post photos in threads just last month (after 6 years on CC:o). My point was that my kids do dress up for dinner, which responded to the original question on this thread. Others' mileage may vary - really, I don't care what anyone else wears, I just know what I what I like to have my family wear. :)

This year my kids are 15, 13 & 11. Their first cruise, they were 9, 7 & 5. This is their eighth cruise, and they have never worn shorts to the MDR---even on embarkation day.

Our family code is "Sunday dress" for casual nights, and "Easter dress" for the elegant nights. You can probably guess what that includes.

We have no children, so do not have a dog in this fight, but thank you for being a responsible parent to your children. If parents don't follow the suggestions for themselves or their children how can we expect children to follow any rules or regs.

Keith

Sad........

Oh, like that's hard. It's not like Carnival puts out a full spread with the silver. :rolleyes:;)

LMAO!!!!

We have no children, so do not have a dog in this fight, but thank you for being a responsible parent to your children. If parents don't follow the suggestions for themselves or their children how can we expect children to follow any rules or regs.

Keith

But Carnivals dress code does allow passengers to wear dress shorts (with the exception of cruise elegant night) so they are following the rules. Some people just have stricter personal codes that they follow. To each his own - just don't put down others who dress more casually...but still follow the suggested dress code.

It was Victory in 2007, not 2006, and I did upload it:

2224264680094346881S500x500Q85.jpg

Two out of three smiling isn't bad!

Wow I didn't expect you to post it.LOL

2 out of 3 is OK.:)

For the record, they all did look very nice in the "everyone" is smiling photo.

STeve

Archived