5 things you wish you'd known on your first cruise

Asda, wine, bucket, eggs on my shopping list now. Just thinking about my birthday list.:D:D

Mandie!

Does that mean you've made your mind up to go? Please say yes.

Jan

Hiya Jan :)

Erm .............. no, not exactly .......... I have a month to change my mind :eek:

Thanks for your concern though - its great when I come on here :D

• 4 weeks later...

Well when they start making the naturist cruise ships we will all save alot of packing only needing stuff to go ashore...roflmao

I always pack my toiletries in a plastic bag and then seal it down, before placing in a plastic container, saves sun lotion and oil getting on all your clothes. Plus to get some nice perfume for the evening either use the onboard samples, or ask at your local boots etc if they have some just got enough for us both from Boots... thanks :-)

Cruise ships should always referred to as ships, not boats, as in this definition, as a seafaring nation we really ought to know the difference!

"A ship can carry boats but a boat cannot carry ships. Please note, a submarine is always referred to as a boat."

Really useful to have a thermos cup/mug for late night hot drinks in cabin.

• 4 weeks later...

Please everyone stop worrying about things, there's been too many tears on this forum in the last few weeks. It used to be such a happy place.

So, one of the things I'd wish I'd known on my first cruise is this thread with all the great tips on here. All the people that have posted are living proof that they've had great cruises and want to pass on good advice.:):) New cruisers please read this thread, you won't be sorry.:)

Jan

We are on our first cruise next week and I would just like to thank all of the contributers to this thread (and the whole site) for providing all of the wonderful advice. I'll put on my 5 things when we return :).

Edited by Mint O Polo

just new to cruise critic and as we are going on the dream on 31st aug iam looking forward to reports from people on it after june when hopefully things might look up!The one tip i would give is when packing roll your clothes up besides making more room they are not as creased when you unpack! loved the tip about the adaptor for 4 items will be taking that, and i always put about 4 of the hangers you use for trousers in as we didnt have any last year on destiny we lovvvvvvvvved that ship anyone who is going this year will have a ball the staff are amazing!keep me posted on news of dream please.

After going on a cruise for the first time I will definately go on a diet before my 2nd one.I wasnt overweight much before I went on my cruise but I defiantely waddled off the ship at the end of my holiday!!You certainly do eat more than at home,I guess its because the food is there already prepared and cooked tasting delicious and as for the afternoon scones with cream and jam well I just had to taste them!:p

I wont be heading for the beauty salon next time,very enjoyable but cost me a small fortune in lotions & potions,my other half wasnt very impressed:eek:

• 2 months later...

Hi All

You guys have covered everything. Just one quick one to add - scan all your documents and passports etc and down load on to a memory stick - or two memory sticks - one each. Goes in your pocket - purse - wallet and has everything you need in case of an emergency. Before anyone says "what about if you lose it" then put it on a lanyard around your neck. When you come home - delete all the info ready for the next time.

We do it all the time - saves messing about. Someone somewhere has a computer and printer should you need to access anything.

All anjoy your cruises.

Hi All

You guys have covered everything. Just one quick one to add - scan all your documents and passports etc and down load on to a memory stick - or two memory sticks - one each. Goes in your pocket - purse - wallet and has everything you need in case of an emergency. Before anyone says "what about if you lose it" then put it on a lanyard around your neck. When you come home - delete all the info ready for the next time.

We do it all the time - saves messing about. Someone somewhere has a computer and printer should you need to access anything.

All anjoy your cruises.

Alternatively put all of the information onto an email and send it to a Hotmail or similar email account that you can access via the web.

• 2 months later...

Hi

This will be my first cruise and I have enjoyed reading all the tips

"quote" Not cruise specific but I'll think of some essential on my trips with excursions and children is to take a plastic lunchbox and a few sandwich bags so you can to get a few bits together from breakfast buffet, pastries, make up cheese rolls, some fruit etc to eat on the coach on day trips....

...Is this something that is allowed or do you need to be a bit discreet about it....

Kind regards

Meg x x x

Hi

This will be my first cruise and I have enjoyed reading all the tips

"quote" Not cruise specific but I'll think of some essential on my trips with excursions and children is to take a plastic lunchbox and a few sandwich bags so you can to get a few bits together from breakfast buffet, pastries, make up cheese rolls, some fruit etc to eat on the coach on day trips....

...Is this something that is allowed or do you need to be a bit discreet about it....

Kind regards

Meg x x x

Hi Meg

I thought it wasn't but on the Celebration last year we were booked on an all day trip with no lunch break. When I queried this with the excursion staff one of them said to take something from the buffet which was what we did. We were discreet about it though, just in case, and there was a limited choice as it was breakfast. We ended up with cheese rolls which wasn't great but better than nothing. Anyway, if we hadn't gone on the trip we would have been down to lunch and eaten much more.

I think that we all have to be responsible, however, and be careful that we don't taken meat products off ship and dispose of them on land. Remember how the Foot and Mouth disease was caused in this country a few years ago.:):)

Jan

Hi Meg

I thought it wasn't but on the Celebration last year we were booked on an all day trip with no lunch break. When I queried this with the excursion staff one of them said to take something from the buffet which was what we did. We were discreet about it though, just in case, and there was a limited choice as it was breakfast. We ended up with cheese rolls which wasn't great but better than nothing. Anyway, if we hadn't gone on the trip we would have been down to lunch and eaten much more.

I think that we all have to be responsible, however, and be careful that we don't taken meat products off ship and dispose of them on land. Remember how the Foot and Mouth disease was caused in this country a few years ago.:):)

Jan

Thanks for the reply...... I totally agree... if you stay onboard you would end up eating far more than what you would take from the breakfast buffet!!!!...... IMO it's a real shame that they don't offer packed lunches for those who choose to go on the excursions.

Kind regards

Meg x x x

Btw as my navy brother told me.....boats don't have decks, ships do.

What was that other one? Oh yes! you can put a boat in a ship but you can't put a ship in a boat. Ta Dah!!:D:D;)

Jan

Hi everyone... hope you're all having having fun cruising :).... thanks ekco for bringing this thread back to life... I haven't been on here for ages, got notified there wasa new reply to the thread!

I must plan a cruise soon, still fancy the red sea thomson one. We went on P&O oriana 'around britain' in July it was brilliant! been very busy since... but hopefully after xmas can get away and take advantage of the cruise bargains about..

oh yes, for you bargain hunters... I noticed yesterday that Primark currently have men's white pin tuck dress shirts in packets complete with black bow tie for £6 each! bargain :eek: got grandad pops one so now we have to go on another cruise no excuse hehe :D

grannypops x

Hi Grannypops

Where have you been?:):) It seems ages, Berwyn went away and didn't come back. Keep out of the water if you go to the Red Sea, watch out for the shark.:eek::eek:

Jan

• 3 weeks later...

Before we travel I send myself an e-mail with details of our passport numbers, health insurance policy and credit cards etc.,etc. - plus all the relevant UK and International telephone numbers.

So if we do have a drama somewhere abroad it's an easy way of accessing key information.

Unless it's somewhere in the back of beyond where there's no internet !!!

• 1 month later...