Things people do that make it obvious they are cruise virgins

acesgame

Things that make it clear people are cruise veteran snobs:

Forgetting they once were newbies and ridiculing everything a first timer does

Amen.

I only wish I could recapture that newbie feeling. That "Oh my gosh, I can't believe all this is on a boat!" feeling. Back when I didn't know I was doing everything all wrong and getting judged for it by others around me. Foolish me, I was so busy having a great time that I didn't even notice I was going about it in all the wrong ways (snapping pictures, over-packing, wearing heels, carrying a purse, attending the towel-folding seminar and "Thriller" dance classes, doing ship-sponsored excursions, laughing at the tired, old comedy routines, etc., etc.).:p

You won't catch me ridiculing newbies - just being a little jealous of their fresh perspective and joy:o and maybe trying to experience a little of it vicariously through conversations with them when we meet up.:)

• Like 1

Amen.

I only wish I could recapture that newbie feeling. That "Oh my gosh, I can't believe all this is on a boat!" feeling. Back when I didn't know I was doing everything all wrong and getting judged for it by others around me. Foolish me, I was so busy having a great time that I didn't even notice I was going about it in all the wrong ways (snapping pictures, over-packing, wearing heels, carrying a purse, attending the towel-folding seminar and "Thriller" dance classes, doing ship-sponsored excursions, laughing at the tired, old comedy routines, etc., etc.).:p

You won't catch me ridiculing newbies - just being a little jealous of their fresh perspective and joy:o and maybe trying to experience a little of it vicariously through conversations with them when we meet up.:)

I still kinda act that way. I've cruised about a dozen times, but l still get that first cruise excitement. Newbies are cruisers just like me.

I still kinda act that way. I've cruised about a dozen times, but l still get that first cruise excitement. Newbies are cruisers just like me.

We (SWMBO and I) go out on our 5th cruise this weekend and I'll get to see it through new eyes because it's our kids' first....and I don't mind at all. It should be fun.

• Like 1

I still do all those things that I listed (as well as commit other apparent "newbie" faux pas:rolleyes:):p. But I don't get that wide-eyed wonder feeling anymore. That I miss.

YES!!

The aaahh I'm home feeling, buts it's still different each time! I've been on so many cruises & still feel all tingly inside the minute I hear that... "CHOOUNG" sound when your seapass checks in! And no matter how many times I've seen it or heard the questions, I never miss the Love & Marriage/Newlywed game! Because it's always a different ship, cruise director, stateroom, sailing, destinations & new experience with new people!

The most apparent cruise snobs are the "entitled" ones: They squat on loungers, push, are rude and abuse the staff. And some of those are not vets, they're rookies too!

In all honesty though, I find there is nothing wrong with a little chuckle where appropriate. A colorful guest roster makes each cruise more memorable! You know.... When you run into the SAME guy everywhere you go... That guy that looks like (enter celebrity or someone that could be your friend's twin here). Or, when you help the lady that had one rum punch too many walk back to the gangway, or like these folks below! (I found this online.)

692e815b1b61e3afa3404121bb270108.jpg

Edited by Pack My Bags

YES!!

The aaahh I'm home feeling, buts it's still different each time! I've been on so many cruises & still feel all tingly inside the minute I hear that... "CHOOUNG" sound when your seapass checks in! And no matter how many times I've seen it or heard the questions, I never miss the Love & Marriage/Newlywed game! Because it's always a different ship, cruise director, stateroom, sailing, destinations & new experience with new people!

The most apparent cruise snobs are the "entitled" ones: They squat on loungers, push, are rude and abuse the staff. And some of those are not vets, they're rookies too!

In all honesty though, I find there is nothing wrong with a little chuckle where appropriate. A colorful guest roster makes each cruise more memorable! You know.... When you run into the SAME guy everywhere you go... That guy that looks like (enter celebrity or someone that could be your friend's twin here). Or, when you help the lady that had one rum punch too many walk back to the gangway, or like these folks below! (I found this online.)

692e815b1b61e3afa3404121bb270108.jpg

Well put Pack My Bags! Love the picture. Perhaps the ship's should sell tshirt for their passengers to wear ashore that state, "if lost, return to (fill in ship name) before 4:00 pm" (or whatever 30 minutes to sail away time is.) Maybe they could be waiting in each cabin upon embarkation. [emoji4]

This is a fun and informative thread, if we all remember that we have ALL been cruise virgins at one time. I'll be going on my 24 th cruise next January, and STILL learn new things each time, and love that fact.

Happy Easter and Passover my friends!

Things that make it clear people are cruise veteran snobs:

Forgetting they once were newbies and ridiculing everything a first timer does

I agree 100% Talk about being snobby and judgmental Everyone has taken their first cruise leave them alone let them have fun and figure things out for themselves.I haven't figured out why some people figure the more cruises they take the more important it makes them feel:eek: oh my god this is someones first cruise how dare they invade my special little word.:rolleyes:

• 3 weeks later...

We have been on many cruises and next one due in July still love the feeling of getting on board and happy to feel like a newbie its a bit like not loosing that childlike christmas wonder I would be sad to feel so superior to other people happy to be a repeat newbie over and over again.

As for the ship card conundrum, I hate things around my neck and don't always have pockets. What I do have is a bra, and plenty of room for a ship card. It's not the most refined place for it, but it works for me.

My first cruise I tried so hard to really care about what I looked like. I got dressed, like I would for work every day. This means I got up early, did the hair and wore full-on make up. Now, I'll go to breakfast before getting fully dressed for the day, and I have limited my make up application to the bare minimum. And dresses for the day now means shorts and flip flops. It makes life so much easier once you accept that you are probably not going to see the other pax ever again (though you will see THAT ONE GUY several times a day), and if you do meet life long friends on a cruise as I have, they never cared what you looked like or were wearing to begin with.

One Noob thing that I haven't seen mentioned is refilling your water bottles directly from the water spout/dispenser. I bought a wide moth bottle specifically for cruising so that I can easily pour a glass of iced tea/water in to the bottle without spreading germs.

I remember some of the things I did on a first cruise that I see people doing now and I wonder whether it's a first cruise thing or just people don't ever move on

I found a place to sit with my hand luggage waiting to hear my cabin was ready - I didn't realise I could explore. Lots of people sit around particularly in the atriums

Getting up at 5 am to see the sail ins to every port - I'm not up at that time now so not sure how many do it

Highlighting the newspaper to check off everything I had to fit in and God forbid there was a clash

Moaning about sea days, why did we have them - now I love them

Booking all excursions through the ship, going through the list onboard ticking them all off and booking and being surprised when someone says you could book independently

I'm not a cruise virgin but I'll do virgin things such as:

I'm always awed by the ship - multiple cruises under my belt but only been on the same ship twice so new ship new aww moment.

I'm in a wheelchair they tell me bring the lifejacket to muster. How am I going to carry it and push myself- I wear it. 9 times out of 10 while waiting at the elevator someone will ask if I think the ship is going to sink or asks to take my picture.

I wear my ship S+S card around my neck with the cruise line issued lanyard won by playing a ship game on my first cruise with that line.

I take lots of pictures - 8G SD card in the camera and another 4G as backup.

Packing has gotten easier after learning the different ships "RULES" vs what people really wear. Formal night as a newbie actual suit, now basic sport coat an shirt sometimes a tie.

I tape the passport to my cell phone or my wallet. Obviously I'll be taking those, so I know I won't forget my passport.

I also put a can of Red Bull by my bed, and chug it as soon as my alarm clock goes off. This can't be good for my heart, but at least I'll be wide awake when I'm doing the final packing (wallet, cell phone, passport, and keys) before leaving home.

I used to triplecheck my husband to see if he had his passport. He always was misplacing it. Now it's easier because he just gives it to me.

Omg you're just like me. He insists on carrying all the paperwork so that I can just carry a small purse but I check and check and as soon as I get to the airport I take control of those passports.

As we went to get ready to get off our flight to NYC last month the lady opposite me declared she couldn't find her passport. There were only 12 of us in the section and we all searched and nothing. She lost it somewhere between going through the gate and boarding.

This also happened last May, a lady getting on our plane lost it between security and the gate and couldn't board, her teenager and mum boarded and she was left behind. The crew were brilliant bringing updates that she'd made it to the embassy and that she'd got a passport and the flight she'd be on

Hence I never let them out of my small purse

• 3 weeks later...