NYC Park & Cruise Options?

johnjen

We're departing in July for a 5 day cruise from NYC to Canada and need to find a park & cruise type hotel. We're open to finding a place in NJ and taking either the path train or the ferry over to the piers. Right now we don't even know exactly the name of the piers in NY - thinking it might be Brooklyn. Any help is appreciated.

We're departing in July for a 5 day cruise from NYC to Canada and need to find a park & cruise type hotel. We're open to finding a place in NJ and taking either the path train or the ferry over to the piers. Right now we don't even know exactly the name of the piers in NY - thinking it might be Brooklyn. Any help is appreciated.

RC and X(Celebrity) leave from Bayonne NJ

Princess and Cunard leave from Brooklyn

Pretty much everyone else almost leaves from Manhattan.

http://www.nycruise.com has a calender that shows Manhattan and Brooklyn.

Once you find out were you are leaving from we can give you some idea....

Thanks smeyer....we'd be leaving from Manhattan. I just now verified.

So, any park and cruise solutions for that area, or would we be better finding a park and cruise in NJ?

johnjen - give us more details about your plans. It's a 5 day cruise, so parking in Manhattan is $150 plus $8 tunnel toll. Are you driving up the same day or are you looking for a hotel room as well? You're probably going to pay about $12/day to park in NJ plus transportation the pier, which will involve a bus or train/subway ride plus a cab to the pier.

Thanks smeyer....we'd be leaving from Manhattan. I just now verified.

So, any park and cruise solutions for that area, or would we be better finding a park and cruise in NJ?

There are no hotels in Manhattan that offer "park and cruise" packages.

Thanks....so, what's the next best solution then if we're driving there and want to leave the car at the hotel? NJ? Then I would have to figure out how to get from NJ to Manhattan.

Details of cruise: July 12, leaves NYC, goes to St John's and Halifax, 5 day cruise. All I want is the night before in a hotel room and leave my car there for the duration of the cruise.

RC and X(Celebrity) leave from Bayonne NJ

Princess and Cunard leave from Brooklyn

Pretty much everyone else almost leaves from Manhattan.

www.nycruise.com has a calender that shows Manhattan and Brooklyn.

Once you find out were you are leaving from we can give you some idea....

There is no place in Manhattan that does stay/park. there are a number of places in NJ, Queens and by the three airports but by the time you pay for the hotel and the ride(by cab or car service) over for 5 days its not worth the hassle. You can park at the port imperial ferry ferry over and then either walk or take a cab to the cruise terminal but for the savings I don't think it is worth it.

http://www.nywaterway.com/Home/RidetheFerry/Terminals/Terminal/tabid/131/Default.aspx?ID=11 and remember to tell them you are staying for five days or you might get you car towed.

Thanks for helping us think about all of this.

Well, we've decided we'll take the train from Charlottesville up to Penn station in NYC the day before...we'll find a hotel and just find a way to get to the piers from there the following morning. It's a lot easier than driving up there and going the original route...

But I tell you, I've heard some nightmare tales about people taking cruise air in to the ship on the same day of departure - with summer thunderstorms, most of those flights will get delayed and we do NOT want to end up being the people left behind on the pier due to those type of delays!

We are leaving June 8th out of NY pier. We are staying in NJ at the Hyatt Place Meadowlands. They are allowing us to leave our car in their parking garage for the length of our cruise. Hope this helps. J

hutt90 - that sounds like a great deal. Could you post back and let us know how it worked out? Did you just call the hotel and ask about leaving the car? Aside from Homewood Suites in Edgewater, we have not really found a good place for NY cruisers to leave their cars.

I'm discovering that there are a LOT of hotels in Manhattan that run about $150 and even below - and that's from me calling them direct.

So - this is going to be MUCH easier than previously thought. Train to Penn Station, cab to hotel - then the following morning, cab or shuttle to piers!

We booked and paid for the cruise this afternoon. I am looking forward to doing Carnival for the first time - the agent was not only very friendly but was looking out for us "you don't want this cabin as it's right below the pool area, lemme move you up forward instead" I NEVER experienced that kind of assistance from RCL before.

Please be selective about your NY hotel. Yes, there are hotels for $150 or less, but you MUST look at Tripadvisor to see what folks are saying about them. Also, look at Kayak for a hotel star rating. Take a look at the recent post about the Roosevelt Hotel on this forum to see if that deal suits you and it still available.. The general advice on this forum is to search for a hotel that is at least 3* in NYC. That's why so many folks use Priceline and Hotwire.

138you were right. We found what looked like an ok hotel until we hit tripadvisor where someone posted the REAL pics of the place....horrible! All it took was the word "ROACHES" so we're not going there...we have a few months to worry about finding a place so I am sure we'll be okay. thanks for the heads up though! That was the Manhattan Broadway.

Glad you checked. We've heard some horror stories on this forum. That's why we suggest Priceline/Hotwire for at least a 3* hotel. If you look at betterbidding, you can see what hotels in the star rating and area have been "won". There are no guarantees, but you won't end up in a dump. There are actually a number of choices under $150 on Hotwire right now for July 4. Don't wait too long - there will be a big fireworks demonstration in NY and folks may look to stay in the city that night. I don't think you have a few months.

hutt90 - that sounds like a great deal. Could you post back and let us know how it worked out? Did you just call the hotel and ask about leaving the car? Aside from Homewood Suites in Edgewater, we have not really found a good place for NY cruisers to leave their cars.

I found a post from someone on CC that used the Hyatt Place Meadowlands so I called them and they said that we could indeed leave our car there while we are on our cruise. Will post when we get back on how it went.

I found what appears to be a decent hotel, and the reviews seemed fine as well:

http://www.ink48.com/

It's also near the Manhattan piers....check it out, and if you've heard anything bad, let us know!!!

I think your Amtrak choice was a very wise one.

INK48 is the newest Manhattan Kimpton hotel (others are The Muse and 70 Park Avenue). If you're a Kimpton fan or a Kimpton In-Touch member, it may be the place for you. Yes, it is in Hells Kitchen and a little off the beaten track, but to some, being away from Times Square can be a blessing. DH and I love Kimpton hotels. ;)

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g60763-d1158753-Reviews-Ink48_a_Kimpton_Hotel-New_York_City_New_York.html

http://www.oyster.com/new-york-city/hotels/ink48/

Good luck with your choice. ;)

I found a post from someone on CC that used the Hyatt Place Meadowlands so I called them and they said that we could indeed leave our car there while we are on our cruise. Will post when we get back on how it went.

How far from this hotel to the cruise terminal? Does the hotel provide transportation? Any idea on cost of transportation? We have 5 ppl plus lots of luggage - a normal cab will never do.

How far from this hotel to the cruise terminal? Does the hotel provide transportation? Any idea on cost of transportation? We have 5 ppl plus lots of luggage - a normal cab will never do.

Well, judging from the map, it's closer to the Manhattan piers than Times Square. I've been there before but in the capacity of being a Sailor when my ship, USS Charleston pulled in there in 1987 for a few days. We would walk from the piers to Times Square and it was around a twenty minute walk.

But we'd just find a cab to the piers from the hotel. From the looks of things it's a five minute cab ride.

I think we're booking Ink48. I've read the reviews and they appear to be a rather decent and clean hotel. Area wise it's ok.

Well, judging from the map, it's closer to the Manhattan piers than Times Square. I've been there before but in the capacity of being a Sailor when my ship, USS Charleston pulled in there in 1987 for a few days. We would walk from the piers to Times Square and it was around a twenty minute walk.

But we'd just find a cab to the piers from the hotel. From the looks of things it's a five minute cab ride.

I think we're booking Ink48. I've read the reviews and they appear to be a rather decent and clean hotel. Area wise it's ok.

The post you're answering is asking about the Hyatt Place Meadowlands, not the Ink48 in Manhattan.

Just G - could you post more details about what you are looking for with 5 people?

We leave in northeastern CT, near RI. If I can manage to fit five ppl with luggage in my car, I lean toward wanting to get to NY a day early. If I could find a hotel that has parking (for a reasonable fee), and transportation to the cruise terminal (like a park, sleep and cruise) that would be great. I don't think I can swing two rooms plus $300 to park at the terminal. I know there a couple hotel near the airports that have park, sleep and fly packages that are reasonable, but they don't provide transportation to the cruise ships. Any other ideas?

Archived