Missed call from Upsell Fairy! AAARRGGH

stormcastle

The one time I forgot to take my cell phone with me, the upsell fairy called offering an upsell to an owners suite for our Dawn cruise on Apr 11. By the time I called back, it was too late.:(

I'm just glad we already have a room we like. But now my husband is ragging on me about missing the call because I had been telling him about some of the neat upsells other people have gotten. Oh well--just wasn't meant to be this time.

The one time I forgot to take my cell phone with me, the upsell fairy called offering an upsell to an owners suite for our Dawn cruise on Apr 11. By the time I called back, it was too late.:(

I'm just glad we already have a room we like. But now my husband is ragging on me about missing the call because I had been telling him about some of the neat upsells other people have gotten. Oh well--just wasn't meant to be this time.

Bummer! But I am sure once you enter the cabin you selected, all will be forgotten and you will have a marvelous time!!

The exact same thing happened to us previously - call to my cell phone for the Owner's Suite, which ended up being taken by the time I called back.

I asked NCL where they were told my cell phone was my primary contact#. They had our home phone as primary, but the rep thought the cell phone was the best option. *sigh*

Now I never turn my cell phone off or forget to take it with me when we're close to a cruise date. Live & learn.

Sorry it didn't work out. Enjoy your cruise!

Did you ask about any other offers? Last Dec. we were offered a CV, declined and said we were really interested in an AD. The very nice lady came back and told us she had one and gave us a very nice deal going from an AF.

Are you only offered an upgrade or upsell if you book directly with NCL? We use a TA so does that mean NCL would not call us? Just wondering - love my aft AD on the Spirit for next April but would be neat to get a good price offer for the aft OS.

Are you only offered an upgrade or upsell if you book directly with NCL? We use a TA so does that mean NCL would not call us? Just wondering - love my aft AD on the Spirit for next April but would be neat to get a good price offer for the aft OS.

Absolutely not. I'm a TA and have received upsell offers for clients more than once. They have all taken the upsell and been THRILLED with them. Using a TA has no affect on whether or not the upsell is offered. :)

Did you ask about any other offers? Last Dec. we were offered a CV, declined and said we were really interested in an AD. The very nice lady came back and told us she had one and gave us a very nice deal going from an AF.

Nothing else was available as we already had a penthouse.

What happened to the OP is tragic but reminds me that the best way to get an upsell is to call them and not wait to get a call. There have been many success stories on these boards of people who place a call a couple of weeks out.

As for the TA issue, yes the TA gets the call, not you. Some TA's are good about getting to their clients but others don't even bother. A slight handicap for those with TA's is you, the passenger, can't call the upsell desk; your TA has too. Again, some will agree, some won't.

Nice to know that an upsell could go through the TA. Have a great relationship with my TA so will be sure to let her know what I might be interested in should she get a call. Have over a year until my cruise - who knows if anything else will even be available.

What happened to the OP is tragic but reminds me that the best way to get an upsell is to call them and not wait to get a call. There have been many success stories on these boards of people who place a call a couple of weeks out.

As for the TA issue, yes the TA gets the call, not you. Some TA's are good about getting to their clients but others don't even bother. A slight handicap for those with TA's is you, the passenger, can't call the upsell desk; your TA has too. Again, some will agree, some won't.

Even a bad TA has an incentive to get back to their passenger when there is an upsell offer: higher commission! Don't view using a TA as a handicap...Granted not all TA's are created equal but when they get a call to move their client into a higher category most will act on it.

A slight handicap for those with TA's is you, the passenger, can't call the upsell desk; your TA has too. Again, some will agree, some won't.

I agree and if they just make one inquiry then move on, the TA has to be prepared to accept the offer when they get the call, no matter what right?

I agree and if they just make one inquiry then move on, the TA has to be prepared to accept the offer when they get the call, no matter what right?

No NCL does give the TA a grace period to get a hold of their passenger. Unlike in the OP case, when she was not there to take the call NCL moved on to the next person on the list...

Has anyone ever had experience getting an upsell from a TA who is email only? I actually enjoy the way my TA works since there is no phone tag, but I wonder how it works for upsells......:confused:

Even a bad TA has an incentive to get back to their passenger when there is an upsell offer: higher commission! Don't view using a TA as a handicap...Granted not all TA's are created equal but when they get a call to move their client into a higher category most will act on it.

Depends, of course. Let's say the average upsell is $600 (probably ranges from thousands to a few hundred) and the average commission payable to the agent is 6%; that equals an additional $36. Some will and some won't. Not much of an incentive, really. The handicap I was talking about was the fact that the passenger can't call the upsell desk themselves when they use a travel agent. Again, (I know I'm repeating)some agents will be willing to call or do a three way and others won't bother.

Depends, of course. Let's say the average upsell is $600 (probably ranges from thousands to a few hundred) and the average commission payable to the agent is 6%; that equals an additional $36. Some will and some won't. Not much of an incentive, really. The handicap I was talking about was the fact that the passenger can't call the upsell desk themselves when they use a travel agent. Again, (I know I'm repeating)some agents will be willing to call or do a three way and others won't bother.

Average cruise commission for any cruise line is not a single digit percentage on the cruise fare of an invoice.

No NCL does give the TA a grace period to get a hold of their passenger. Unlike in the OP case, when she was not there to take the call NCL moved on to the next person on the list...

YES, this has been the case with the upsell calls I have received on behalf of clients. Some have even been left on voice mail. ALL of them have had the understanding that it MAY take me time to get hold of the client (although I ALWAYS call the client immediately...and email and/or text too, if I have the cell info) to get back to them. I always call the NCL person back who left the message, if I was not able to take the call, to let them know that I would contact the client ASAP. Never an issue. Always was able to get hold of the clients (typically within the same day, or if not, the next day) and the offers have been accepted.

It's a great process. One of the things I LOVE about NCL is that they do the whole upsell thing...they are unique with this. :)

Average cruise commission for any cruise line is not a single digit percentage on the cruise fare of an invoice.

If you read what I wrote, I said "average commission payable to an agent". Are you saying that the average commission payable to an agent is in double digits? My understanding is that the total commission paid is double digits but that the agency takes its cut leaving the agent in single digits!

This number was given to me:

NCL Reassignment Desk

1-800-625-4309

Thanks so much for posting that telephone number!

Can someone explain to me... Is an "upsell" a free upgrade to better class of cabin, or is it an opportunity to purchase a better class of cabin, but at a reduced rate?

UpSELL means you have to pay a reduced rate for a higher level of cabin.

UpGRADE is when you are given a higher category without paying for it.

Upsells are much more common with NCL than upgrades.

If you read what I wrote, I said "average commission payable to an agent". Are you saying that the average commission payable to an agent is in double digits? My understanding is that the total commission paid is double digits but that the agency takes its cut leaving the agent in single digits!

Sorry that I did not "read what you wrote" :rolleyes: You seem to have a better understanding of the system then I do so I will leave it at that.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived