Our Ride on the Star…will we do it again anytime soon? You GOT to be kidding!

SailorJack

Thanks to your post, I was able to start my morning giggling like only another cruiser can.

Thanks! Good like re-homing that shirt!

Glad you enjoyed it. As much as I have tried to bury that shirt, SailorJill is insisting that I take it with me in October. :D

• 3 months later...
Glad you enjoyed it. As much as I have tried to bury that shirt, SailorJill is insisting that I take it with me in October. :D

I realize it has been a couple of months, but I just wanted to let you know how much I enjoyed your review of the Star in Rio. I had a chance to read your latest review of the Star as well. My husband is also Canadian (Hamilton, ONT) and I read your reviews to him--it is quite comical.

But I reread your report on the Star when you went to Rio and I have a couple of questions. I tried to send you a PM but was unable to find a link to email you (not surprised...you would be crazy to have a PM with your fabulous reviews).

Anyway, did you have Princess prepare your Visas or were you and the "Mrs" brave soldiers and elect to do it yourself. We can go either way. We have both worked for the Gov't for 20+ each (48 total) but I do realize it is a different animal (Visa).

Also, our itinerary is different than yours, sadly. We are only stopping at Salvador and Recife....then over to the Caribbean. But we will be in Rio for Carnival and I don't believe you were there for Carnival. We are staying at the JW Marriott (on points) for 2 nights prior to boarding the Star and then another night on the Star. I need to get working on deciding where to sit and watch the event--if only I knew if we will actually be able to stay up until 4:00 a.m., that would help. We too are on Copa Airlines. Dare I say first class....it's like saying first class on Southwest Airlines. Heck, I don't even think the seats recline much and there are no AC outputs, no personal tv screens (one screen is shared by the first 3 rows...just like Delta in Economy)....but it was only $250 more to go first class so at least we'll be able to sit in the Executive Lounge at the airport in Panama City for a 3 1/2 hour layover.

Loved your reviews...keep 'em coming!

Dawn

Anyway, did you have Princess prepare your Visas or were you and the "Mrs" brave soldiers and elect to do it yourself.

I am not Sailorjack, but if you are talking about the visas for Brazil, Princess does not have an option to get them for you although they will suggest visa agencies that will do the job for a fee.

We live near a city which has a Brazilian consulate and did it ourselves. If you live near one, I would suggest doing it yourself as it is not that difficult.

I am not Sailorjack, but if you are talking about the visas for Brazil, Princess does not have an option to get them for you although they will suggest visa agencies that will do the job for a fee.

We live near a city which has a Brazilian consulate and did it ourselves. If you live near one, I would suggest doing it yourself as it is not that difficult.

Yeah, there are just tons of horror stories that I found on this website. But we live an hour and a half from San Fran so we certainly can do it ourselves. But I was very surprised how many people said, "just let Princess (3rd party) handle it for you for such a small price to pay." I think it was about $140 total for us both if we let Princess' 3rd party handle it. I do need to get started though.

I also think a lot of the issues experienced by folks was not having a flight itinerary at the time of attempting to get their VISA, we have that so I think that is part of the problems people have....

Thanks!!!

Dawn

I think it was about $140 total for us both if we let Princess' 3rd party handle it. I do need to get started though.

The cost to USA citizens at this time is $140 each + any service charges of the 3rd party.

Service charges I am seeing online range from $39/person to $50/person.

I realize it has been a couple of months, but I just wanted to let you know how much I enjoyed your review of the Star in Rio. I had a chance to read your latest review of the Star as well. My husband is also Canadian (Hamilton, ONT) and I read your reviews to him--it is quite comical.

But I reread your report on the Star when you went to Rio and I have a couple of questions. I tried to send you a PM but was unable to find a link to email you (not surprised...you would be crazy to have a PM with your fabulous reviews).

Anyway, did you have Princess prepare your Visas or were you and the "Mrs" brave soldiers and elect to do it yourself. We can go either way. We have both worked for the Gov't for 20+ each (48 total) but I do realize it is a different animal (Visa).

Also, our itinerary is different than yours, sadly. We are only stopping at Salvador and Recife....then over to the Caribbean. But we will be in Rio for Carnival and I don't believe you were there for Carnival. We are staying at the JW Marriott (on points) for 2 nights prior to boarding the Star and then another night on the Star. I need to get working on deciding where to sit and watch the event--if only I knew if we will actually be able to stay up until 4:00 a.m., that would help. We too are on Copa Airlines. Dare I say first class....it's like saying first class on Southwest Airlines. Heck, I don't even think the seats recline much and there are no AC outputs, no personal tv screens (one screen is shared by the first 3 rows...just like Delta in Economy)....but it was only $250 more to go first class so at least we'll be able to sit in the Executive Lounge at the airport in Panama City for a 3 1/2 hour layover.

Loved your reviews...keep 'em coming!

Dawn

I'm glad you enjoyed the review!:)

To answer your question, we obtained our own visas. It was really quite simple. There is a consulate here in Atlanta which made it even easier. You complete the paperwork on line and then apply (online) for an appointment. We made the appointment for early in the morning and after the meeting went shopping. Came back in the afternoon and the visa was attached to our passports. Nothing could have been easier. When applying for the visa, they wanted to see a copy of the ship's schedule to show that you had a way out of Brazil. They made a copy of it and included it in their paperwork.

I think you can do the application through the mail also, but I cannot offer any info on that. You may not have a consulate in Sacramento, but there probably is one in San Francisco. The visa was good for 5 years. All this applies to a US passport. If your husband is using a Canadian (go Tiger Cats!) passport things might be a little different.

I had fun with the Copa airline bit, but it really isn't a bad airline -except for the lost luggage!:D Sounds like you got a real good deal on the first class upgrade! I am also envious of your visit during Carnival. I'm surprised you got a room for points during Carnival, but that sounds like a real good deal also.:D We have not been in Rio during Carnival so you must write a review and tell us what it is like.

Let me know if you have any other questions and I will try to answer them.

Jack

Fantastic review! I am still chuckling. You should write a book about your travels.

Thanks.

Thanks for your comments.:)

The cost to USA citizens at this time is $140 each + any service charges of the 3rd party.

Service charges I am seeing online range from $39/person to $50/person.

I should have been more clear...I meant, it cost about an additional $140 if we have someone else do it for us (3rd party). I think it was over $400 if the 3rd party does it that Princess provides....

I think we'll just make a day trip out of it to San Fran...we enjoy going down to the city anyway. Many of the horror stories were probabaly due to different situations....times change, things become fine tuned anyway.

Thanks...

Dawn

I'm so glad this review was bumped up! Absolutely fantastic review! I love your humor and laughed out loud so many times, my boss came over to make sure I was ok ;)

Thank you SailorJack (and Sailor Jill!) for the fantastic review!

Sounds like you have a very understanding boss.:D Thanks for your comments..glad you enjoyed it.

• 1 month later...

Loved your review - now going back to read the others! I read all the comments to see if you said where you were from in Canada. We live in Vancouver. I just saw your reference to the Lions - are you perhaps from my neck of the woods?

We did the 12 Med on the Star a couple of years ago - absolutely LOVED it! Don't have your talent for writing, so am going to read it now!

We are sailing on the Sapphire in 9 more days - can't wait!!

Terry

Add one more accolade to the ten pages already submitted. :D By far the coolest, funniest, and still informative review I've read. Hope your lawn is responding well to the treatment ;)

Glad you enjoyed it. We enjoyed the Star so much we sailed on her again six months later. If you haven't already seen it, a link to that review is in my signature. The lawn is doing quite well, thank-you!:D:D

I just now read this review- and all i can say is ROTFLMAO!! well done. thank you.

Thanks for your kind words.

Loved your review - now going back to read the others! I read all the comments to see if you said where you were from in Canada. We live in Vancouver. I just saw your reference to the Lions - are you perhaps from my neck of the woods?

We did the 12 Med on the Star a couple of years ago - absolutely LOVED it! Don't have your talent for writing, so am going to read it now!

We are sailing on the Sapphire in 9 more days - can't wait!!

Terry

Glad you enjoyed it. We are, in fact, from your neck of the woods. Actually, our home was in North Van - just across from the Lions Gate in the Capillano area.

I have heard from a number of people who did the 12 day trip on the Star and everyone enjoyed it - it really is a great itinerary.

Enjoy your trip on the Sapphire!

Loved your review, thanks for taking the time to entertain and inform us all.

You live in the town where my all time favorite bridge is!! Love both Capillano bridge and Lynn canyon bridge, which is easier to jump on and create a wave!

Loved your review, thanks for taking the time to entertain and inform us all.

You live in the town where my all time favorite bridge is!! Love both Capillano bridge and Lynn canyon bridge, which is easier to jump on and create a wave!

Our house was actually on the bank of the Capillano River and as kids we used to visit the Capillano Suspension Bridge all the time. It is one of the great suspension bridges of the world!

Well my sister in law lives in Deep Cove - we were just there for Christmas dinner, and my husband grew up in North Van. Small world!!

Terry

Deep Cove - one of the most beautiful parts of the area! What a great place to have in-laws!:)

Archived