Our Ride on the Star…will we do it again anytime soon? You GOT to be kidding!

SailorJack

Great review, never laughed so much at a cruise review. I should point out that although Grand, Star, and Golden are sisters Grand has a slightly different layout than the other 2.

Is it because the other two have been in drydock to add International Cafe and MUTS?

Is it because the other two have been in drydock to add International Cafe and MUTS?

don't know about that but Grand was a prototype and between it's construction and the next there were a few minor changes... for instance the Grand has 2 Grand Suites on Lido midship. In Star and Golden there's only 1 Grand Suite located aft on Aloha I believe. Again a minor change but not identical.

When were they in drydock? Was the international cafe added? Actually, the cafe is relatively minor if the major items are similiar - MUTS, the Terrance Pool, the Horizon Court, etc. MUTS is what actually sold SJ on the Star, so I hope it is on the other two.

I don't think MUTS is on the Grand yet but maybe someone else remembers. There keep being rumors about the Grand going into drydock but it's all rumors.

The Golden was in dry dock last year and added the International Cafe and MUTS and the Star was before that.

The Terrace Pool and Horizon Court are on all of them.

I should mention that we avoided going on the newer, larger, Princess ships because we were leery of so many more passengers but we were on the Ruby in January and it was beautiful. They have it laid out so that you really aren't aware of how many people are on board. We haven't been on the Emerald or the Crown but they are probably the same.

When were they in drydock? Was the international cafe added? Actually, the cafe is relatively minor if the major items are similiar - MUTS, the Terrance Pool, the Horizon Court, etc. MUTS is what actually sold SJ on the Star, so I hope it is on the other two.

I may be incorrect but I believe MUTS has been deployed fleet wide on princess at least with the Grand Class and variants.

I don't think MUTS is on the Grand yet but maybe someone else remembers. There keep being rumors about the Grand going into drydock but it's all rumors.

quote]

Yes MUTS and International Cafe are on the Grand. We sailed her last year and enjoyed watching movies under the stars. :D

Thanks for sharing your review and your talented writing. It was entertaining to read and definitely a departure from some of the routine whining and bickering about everything from auto tips to shampoo bottles to jeans in the dining room.

I may be incorrect but I believe MUTS has been deployed fleet wide on princess at least with the Grand Class and variants.

The Sapphire and Diamond dont have the upgrades yet.. I think they are scheduled for 2010 and 2011.

Haven't read such a good review since Jack's Nautica review!!!! any chance your next cruise will be on one of the small ships. We'd love to sail with you!!!

We actually almost sailed on one of the small ships on the Amazon cruise earlier this year, but opted instead for the Star. we would like to experience the small ship experience, so we might just meet up!:)

PS to kinkacruiser: Thanks for the thought, but I just don't have enough material for a "collection". There has to be a story behind your screen name!:D

I've just finished reading all of your reviews,and DH is right behind me! I copied and pasted

the Star one into an email and sent it to our kids. We just love your style. Maybe if we

take up a collection we can you on another cruise sooner than later.

Mimi

SailorJack I have just gone back and read all your reviews and now I have to get over the pain in my stomach from laughing BUT I must ask how do you manage to get upgraded to first class so often in your journeys? :eek:

SailorJack I have just gone back and read all your reviews and now I have to get over the pain in my stomach from laughing BUT I must ask how do you manage to get upgraded to first class so often in your journeys? :eek:

As a resident of Atlanta I fly Delta almost exclusively. As a result I am a million-miler and a life-time Elite member, so upgrades on Delta are not that unusual - as when we flew home from Santiago.

As to how we got an upgrade on Copa, I have absolutely no idea. They are not Delta partners and I had never even heard of the airline before booking the flight to Rio. There was absolutely no basis for an upgrade. One of the great unanswered mysteries of the cruise.:D

As a resident of Atlanta I fly Delta almost exclusively. As a result I am a million-miler and a life-time Elite member, so upgrades on Delta are not that unusual - as when we flew home from Santiago.

As to how we got an upgrade on Copa, I have absolutely no idea. They are not Delta partners and I had never even heard of the airline before booking the flight to Rio. There was absolutely no basis for an upgrade. One of the great unanswered mysteries of the cruise.:D

Maybe they read Cruise Critic! ;)

• 4 weeks later...
----------------------------------------------------------

No Part II coming. The stuff I had to delete had to do mostly with the Star - like the International Cafe. The worst part of my cruise was finding out about the cookies after I had been on the ship for three days. I lost three days of eating those warm from-the-oven concoctions!

I see where you are sailing on the Star again later this year. So will there be a "Part II" after all?:)

I see where you are sailing on the Star again later this year. So will there be a "Part II" after all?:)

This is really quite embarrasing;) - given the title of this "review".:D

This will be the first time we have ever sailed twice on the same ship, but it was like the perfect storm - the perfect itinerary, a great price, and a ship we had both enjoyed.

Can't say if there will be a "Part II" or not. We have done several cruises where I didn't write a review because there just wasn't enough unusual occurances to justify it.

However, it does give me a chance to wear my Powder Blue (with pink trim) Polo shirt a second time.:eek:

Thank you for the best review ever. I will have to search this out later to re-read. A great start to the day! Looking forward to further reviews.

Glad you liked it. Links to other reviews are in my signature.

We're doing a rain (war?) dance for a Part II. If you don't have any unusual occurrences,

make them up. We won't know the difference, and will enjoy the review as much as

we did the others.

Archived