trip insurance on just the flight?

Pearl64

I need to book our flight for our cruise this summer: CLE to LHR and OSL to CLE. Cost is about 2500 with all the fees and taxes. Question is should I also purchase separate trip insurance from the airline to cover the cost in case we need to cancel or something happens to our luggage or we get stuck in our connections? Or does the airline (probably Continental) cover these same items with the change fee and airline credit to use in one year? We want to be covered in case we need to cancel but don't want to overpay for something that is already covered. We do have travel insurance that I got through our local AAA office for our cruise. Oceania's trip insurance was way too high. We decided not to use cruiseline air because we are extending our vacation and the deviation fees would make the cost exhorbitant. Advice on insurance for the flight?

Thanks for all your help.

Pearl

If you purchase a travel insurance policy to cancel your trip for any reason, this usually must be purchased within a certain number of days after you made your first deposit for your trip. And, they usually only refund you about 75% of the amount you lose.

If you purchase the ticket, and then cancel with the airline, you will pay the change fee ($250 per ticket for an international ticket for CO) and receive a voucher for the remaining balance left, to use on a future flight within one year.

I don't know what CO's insurance covers. I have seen it offered for a fairly low price, so you may want to read the terms and see what it covers, such as will it pay anything if a flight is delayed and cancelled, which cause you to miss your cruise. I am doubtful they will provide coverage for this, but again, read the contract.

If your flight is cancelled, the airline will put you on another flight; same if your flight is delayed. You don't need coverage to force them to do this. But, it's no guarantee that you will arrive in time for your sailing if there are major problems.

Are you sure your policy through AAA doesn't cover your flights? If you are not sure, call AAA and ask them. Also, sometimes you have some coverage with your credit card company for things such as delayed baggage (it's rarely permanently lost). You may want to also check this.

I did check with my TA at AAA. She said I could not add the air onto my existing trip insurance because I did that in August of 09. I would need a new policy to cover the air. She also told me that it is about 50/50 for those who get insurance on flights and those who do not. I normally wouldn't worry about this but $2500 is a lot of money.

Still don't know what to do. Perhaps flip a coin?

Pearl

She also told me that it is about 50/50 for those who get insurance on flights and those who do not. Pearl

I am not sure what you mean by this statement.

Exactly what is your main concern? Is it that you will have to cancel the trip? Are you worried your flights will be delayed or cancelled, and you will miss the beginning of your cruise? Are your flights nonstop? What airline are you using? The answers to these questions may help people provide useful information to you.

6rugrats,

I am concerned that at the last minute I may need to cancel as I have an elderly parent. I am also concerned about making the connection in Newark to get our flight to LHR so we can get to the cruise on time. We are flying in a day early. Our flights will probably be on Continental and the flights go CLE to Newark and then Newark to LHR. Coming back they will be from Oslo to Newark and then Newark to Cleveland. I am not worried about coming back. I just want to get to the cruise on time. I have built in at least two hours between connections which my travel agent says is enough time just in case there is a glitch. We are flying in August so hopefully there are no snow storms just thunderstorms.

Concerning your question about the 50/50. My Travel agent meant that 50% of the people buy the insurance for the air and 50% do not buy insurance for the air.

I do know I could get the insurance elsewhere, but my main question is do I need it?

Pearl

I do know I could get the insurance elsewhere, but my main question is do I need it?

Pearl

I don't think you can answer that question until you talk to CO and find out exactly what they'll do for you in the circumstances you described -- both with their insurance and without.

And I'm about 99% sure your AAA travel agent is incorrect. Every major travel insurer I can think of is more than happy to have you add additional arrangements to your existing policy. If it was me I'd call the insurer direct and get a definite answer.

Of course I hope your elderly parent is fine. But you're only thinking about the time leading up to your cruise. What if (Heaven forbid) something happens during the cruise? Althought policies vary and the devil is in the fine print, most will pay for losses on the remainder of your trip, the unused flight home, and an emergency trip home (which can be extremely expensive). TI covers for lots of other stuff with the right policy- a traffic accident on the way to the airport, serious illness and medical repatriation back to the USA, ship was late to a port causing a missed shorex, etc.

The very fact you're asking the question probably says you may have a big need for TI. Pure speculation on my part, but CO's insurance probably covers only their cancellations and delays and does not cover yours or other parties'.

Pure speculation on my part, but CO's insurance probably covers only their cancellations and delays and does not cover yours or other parties'.

the airline is on the hook for that anyway in many circumstances. the additional insurance the airlines sell is similar to other travel insurance and will cover if the customer gas to cancel for a covered reason and things like weather delays that are not the responsibility of the airline.

Thanks to everyone's suggestions. I did finally bit the bullet and booked the flight. I took the airline's insurance because it was the same firm as AAA uses and was $40 cheaper for the same coverage. The insurance may be superfluous but if nothing else it gives us a little peace of mind. This was a major piece of this vacation completed. Now I can concentrate on the ports and our stay in Norway after the cruise.

Pearl

Archived