ships horns signal arrival of Volendam in Brisbane

newfarmers

Ships horns have just echoed across inner Brisbane signalling the arrival of Voldendam.

One of my partner's workmates and his family are going onboard to visit his parents who are on Volendam's circumnavigation. Didn't even know this was possible any more. Would love to do it, if only to bring back the memories of our wonderful cruise on Rotterdam.

Never mind, less then four months and we'll be starting to pack before we head off to Europe and our Baltic cuise on Norwegian Sun.

safe travels

pete

Nothing like a HAL's ship's whistle........ :)

I'm hoping there will be whistles or other celebratory noise when we cruise into Anchorage on the Amsterdam on May 24th, the first of this summer's 14-day cruises that will spend a day in Anchorage. The first time in many years for a cruise ship to do so.

The beautiful and elegant Volendam arrives in Sydney on Friday 16th April and departs on Sunday 18th April for Vancouver, with us and a few other lucky cruisers, should be a great cruise.

When is the beautiful and elegant m.s. VOLENDAM going to start her long journey to Vancouver to begin her Alaska season?

I'm hoping there will be whistles or other celebratory noise when we cruise into Anchorage on the Amsterdam on May 24th, the first of this summer's 14-day cruises that will spend a day in Anchorage. The first time in many years for a cruise ship to do so.

In addition to the navigation horns you will hear all sorts of sounds reflected off the mountains to the east. My family already have a place picked out for their viewing point.

I do hope as you heard into Anchorage that you have a view of Denali to the north and very clear skies.

We just disembarked the Volendam on the 17th after completing the great circumnavigation of Australia cruise. Funny that there is a thread about the horn. Upon leaving one of the ports (forget which one) the horn got stuck and would not stop. This went on for some time before it was remedied.

We were enjoying a cocktail in the Crow's Nest at the time. When it was finally stopped, there was a loud round of applause!

Later, we were told by one of the officers, that the battery was replaced and that took care of the matter. Sure glad they had an extra battery of the correct size on board!!!!!!;)

We just disembarked the Volendam on the 17th after completing the great circumnavigation of Australia cruise. Funny that there is a thread about the horn. Upon leaving one of the ports (forget which one) the horn got stuck and would not stop. This went on for some time before it was remedied.

We were enjoying a cocktail in the Crow's Nest at the time. When it was finally stopped, there was a loud round of applause!

Later, we were told by one of the officers, that the battery was replaced and that took care of the matter. Sure glad they had an extra battery of the correct size on board!!!!!!;)

That was a hoot wasn't it? At first there was speculation that they were signaling traffic but it went on and on and on and on. CAL

My best ships whistle memory is being in port on another ship, the MV Discovery the same day the Amsterdam was in Port Luis Mauritius while she was on a Grand World Voyage.

We were both leaving port at the same time and we tooted each other joyfully with extra toots after the standard long three toots leaving port. As we passed out of the harbor, we then watched at we turned south on the MV Discovery on our way to Reunion, and the Amsterdam turned north on its way to Africa and we bid a final good by on the high seas.

It was like seeing an old friend that far away from home. I was so happy to see a HAL ship of all the ships that could have come into port that same day with us.

On our little MV Discovery we could watch all the captain's outdoor port departure activities and when he put his fingers in his ears we knew what was coming next. Tooooooot. And then, good by.

Archived