Scooters on Greek Islands

beckvanr

Hi, I will be going to the Greek Islands in the first week of June and my mother, who will be joining me is very keen to rent a scooter for one of the days. We will be in

Corfu - 10:00 AM - 06:00 PM

Mykonos - 08:00 AM 04:00 PM

Santorini - 04:00 PM 11:00 PM

Crete - 07:00 AM 12:00 PM

I was just wondering which place if any would be the best place to hire a scooter. Is it safe? My mum and I have never been on a scooter before.

Any info would be much appreciated

Hi, I will be going to the Greek Islands in the first week of June and my mother, who will be joining me is very keen to rent a scooter for one of the days. We will be in

Corfu - 10:00 AM - 06:00 PM

Mykonos - 08:00 AM 04:00 PM

Santorini - 04:00 PM 11:00 PM

Crete - 07:00 AM 12:00 PM

I was just wondering which place if any would be the best place to hire a scooter. Is it safe? My mum and I have never been on a scooter before.

Any info would be much appreciated

I hate to be the one to advise caution, but I will. Scooter rental in the Aegean islands has been associated with a lot of injuries over the years. The great majority of rentals go absolutely fine, but occasionally there are problems - crashes, or falls. Coming off a scooter and sliding across a road when all you've got on is a pair of shorts/a skirt and a t-shirt is a recipe for significant abrasion injuries, with the possibility of more serious injuries when you hit whatever it is that stops you sliding: the kerb, a pillar, or even a vehicle, parked or moving. I have some experience on a scooter, but I've never been tempted to try the scooter rentals.

If you're determined to do it - and as I say, the majority of rentals pass without incident - make absolutely sure that you have good medical insurance, and that what you're doing isn't excluded from the cover. Do not rely on the hire shop's "insurance"; it won't be adequate - it probably only covers damage to the scooter!

Another one to echo the same points above...I just got off the Princess board where someone reported that a passenger on the Caribbean Princess who rented some type of scooter or ATV was killed yesterday in Aruba in a traffic accident. The only type of activity like that that I would even remotely consider participating in would be "off road"!

I agree with all of the previous posters. Although a motorbike looks fun, many people do get injured. When we were in Bermuda many years ago we rented a moped and ended up crashing after being run off the road by a car. It's just not worth the risk -- rent a car instead. Also the sun when exposed on a motorbike or quad can be brutally hot.

Archived