Ephesus Tours from Izmir

We were on the NCL Jade in January, which docked in Izmir. We used Ekol for a private (three people) tour of the Virgin Mary House, Ephesus (including the Terrace Houses), and the Temple of Artemis. The guide was fantastic, and I can't recommend Ekol highly enough. If you do a search on here, you'll find many other raves about them.

Have a great trip!

PS: DCParky: just noticed where you live. I'm in the same area. Feel free to email me if there's any other info I can give you:

guntergirl2008ATmsnDOTcom

OP: you've probably already checked into the weather at the time of your cruise, but just in case... I wanted to add that our guide in Ephesus said it can be "brutally" hot there in the summer, well into the 100s. She said when she leads a tour there in the summer, she takes 3 water bottles, two to drink and one to pour over her head (and she seemed to us to be pretty fit and in her late 20s, early 30s). Hat, sunscreen, water... have a great time!

OP: you've probably already checked into the weather at the time of your cruise, but just in case... I wanted to add that our guide in Ephesus said it can be "brutally" hot there in the summer, well into the 100s. She said when she leads a tour there in the summer, she takes 3 water bottles, two to drink and one to pour over her head (and she seemed to us to be pretty fit and in her late 20s, early 30s). Hat, sunscreen, water... have a great time!

Oh, absolutely! There's no shade, and the marble floors reflect the glare. There's a horrible photo of me taken with a scarf draped over my head, sitting on a marble wall, trying to escape the heat.....take an umbrella; lots of guides use one for shelter.

Jo.

My cruise on NCL docks in Izmir. Does anyone have any recommendations for tour companies that operate out of Izmir? Most seem to operate out of Kusadasi... Thanks!

check out ephesusshuttle.com we changed our sep. izmir - ephesus shuttle to a private tour. they offer special 25% off for private tour.

We have used Ekol before and are using them again in a few weeks out of Izmir. Yes - they operate out of Izmir, it just takes a little bit longer to get to Ephesus. Ekol does a great job! I have been there in late August and yes, it can be brutally hot. It was in the high 90's but felt a lot hotter standing on marble and no shade.

We just returned from our 12 night cruise of the med on NCL Jade. We also docked in Izmir. We used Ephesus Deluxe. We were met at the port promptly when we disembarked and enjoyed the beautiful drive from Izmir to Ephesus. We were in a group of 12, with both children (7yo & 14yo) and seniors as well. Both, the driver and the guide kept everyone's attention and conveyed a great deal of information regarding their wonderful country. We had our itinerary planned prior to the trip. As we drove, the guide explained that to maximize our day, we should begin at the Virgin Mary's House, and boy was he right. When we arrived, there may have been one other tour van there. After spending 30 to 45 minutes at this beautiful place (on Good Friday), we proceeded to the parking lot and discovered several tour vans and 3 or 4 tour buses in the parking lot. On the road away from Mary's House, there were several more buses headed in. The guide's advice saved us a great deal of time and congestion. We went to the ruins of Ephesus and enjoyed them thoroughly. The Terrace Houses are a must. We also saw the ruins of St. John's Basilica, the Ephesus museum, and a few other less impressive sights. Our tour also included lunch, which was served at a rug school. I know what you may be thinking, but it was not bad at all. In fact, the lunch was delicious (salad, bread, appetizers, kebabs, & rice) and the demonstration was very educational. Our guide let us know that if we felt pressured or uncomfortable at any time, just to let him know and we would leave immediately. After a demonstration about harvesting silk, and how the rugs are made... we sat as the difference in rug, composition, quality, & materials were explained which lasted about 20 minutes, we were on our way. There was no pressure to buy and the salesmen answered all of our questions about the various rugs. It was an enjoyable experience. My wife just stated that she would have enjoyed it even more had she not been dreading it.

The drive to Ephesus from Izmir was beautiful. Turkey was amazing and safe. We felt very welcomed and safe at all times. If we could, we would return to Turkey tomorrow.

Corey

Thanks binky/jane for your trip report to ephesus. we are on the ncl gem in august and wonder if you can remember how much you paid for the above trip.

$65pp and this DID include lunch which was delicious!! Drinks were extra and not expensive.

K

We just returned from our 12 night cruise of the med on NCL Jade. We also docked in Izmir. We used Ephesus Deluxe. We were met at the port promptly when we disembarked and enjoyed the beautiful drive from Izmir to Ephesus. We were in a group of 12, with both children (7yo & 14yo) and seniors as well. Both, the driver and the guide kept everyone's attention and conveyed a great deal of information regarding their wonderful country. We had our itinerary planned prior to the trip. As we drove, the guide explained that to maximize our day, we should begin at the Virgin Mary's House, and boy was he right. When we arrived, there may have been one other tour van there. After spending 30 to 45 minutes at this beautiful place (on Good Friday), we proceeded to the parking lot and discovered several tour vans and 3 or 4 tour buses in the parking lot. On the road away from Mary's House, there were several more buses headed in. The guide's advice saved us a great deal of time and congestion. We went to the ruins of Ephesus and enjoyed them thoroughly. The Terrace Houses are a must. We also saw the ruins of St. John's Basilica, the Ephesus museum, and a few other less impressive sights. Our tour also included lunch, which was served at a rug school. I know what you may be thinking, but it was not bad at all. In fact, the lunch was delicious (salad, bread, appetizers, kebabs, & rice) and the demonstration was very educational. Our guide let us know that if we felt pressured or uncomfortable at any time, just to let him know and we would leave immediately. After a demonstration about harvesting silk, and how the rugs are made... we sat as the difference in rug, composition, quality, & materials were explained which lasted about 20 minutes, we were on our way. There was no pressure to buy and the salesmen answered all of our questions about the various rugs. It was an enjoyable experience. My wife just stated that she would have enjoyed it even more had she not been dreading it.

The drive to Ephesus from Izmir was beautiful. Turkey was amazing and safe. We felt very welcomed and safe at all times. If we could, we would return to Turkey tomorrow.

Corey

HI Corey,

I am considering Ephesus Deluxe for a private tour I'm putting together for 8 pp. We are also looking at Ephesus Walks and Hello Ephesus. We are on the Jade in November and in port from 8-5. Were you on the same schedule? I want to ensure we have enough time to see everything and get lunch for the group. I just sent them an email because it doesn't mention that lunch is included on the website. I just want to be sure.

Also, the Terrace House admission was included in the tour price? Just want to confirm. Thanks.

I just booked Epheseus Deluxe for May 19th for my group of 8 that is sailing on the Norwegian Gem to Izmir. I will let you know how it goes. :)

Please do, we are trying to narrow it down from 3 tour operators.

Corey

We'll be on the NCL Gem in Sept. and the ship is docked in Izmir from 8-5. How long did this tour take? It looks like they have 2 tours from the Izmir port but the more extensive one is 7 1/2 hours. This may be cutting it a little too close. We may have to just settle for Ephesus and the Terrace Houses. I'd really like to see the Virgin Mary's house too though. We'll have 4 people. Do they let you customize your tour?

We'll be on the NCL Gem in Sept. and the ship is docked in Izmir from 8-5. How long did this tour take? It looks like they have 2 tours from the Izmir port but the more extensive one is 7 1/2 hours. This may be cutting it a little too close. We may have to just settle for Ephesus and the Terrace Houses. I'd really like to see the Virgin Mary's house too though. We'll have 4 people. Do they let you customize your tour?

We were on the NCL Jade in January which docked in Izmir on the same schedule, 8-5. Our private tour with Ekol took us first to the Virgin Mary House, then Ephesus (including the Terrace Houses), then to the Temple of Artemis. (Plenty of time at each site.) By our choice, on our way back to Izmir, we included a stop at a pottery maker. Got back to the ship with plenty of time to spare before we sailed.

Ekol has a number of tours listed on their web site from Izmir to Ephesus and other sites, of varying durations; the longer the tour, the more sites were included. Before I booked, I told them the ship's schedule and asked them which was the longest tour we had time for. They let me know, and we booked accordingly. If you are considering other tour operators, I would hope that they would be able to advise you similarly as to what is "do-able." (And since it's a private tour, you should definitely be able to customize it.)

Have a great trip!

We had a fantastic Ephesus tour from Izmir last April with Ephesus Shuttle. Our guide Ali met us at the port with a nice van. He is very knowledgeable and personable. Our tour was included Ephesus, Terrace Houses ( were the best part of the tour. Not to be missed ), Virgin Mary House, Basilica. We stopped for lunch at a local restaurant cost about $12. it was fantastic

We paid $330 for 6 of us with CC at the end. There was no extra fee when using a credit card. I would use and recommend Ephesus Shuttle private tours. Mr. Fevzi Turhan was so helpfull and replied promptly to all our question.

• 2 weeks later...

A group of 10 of us from our roll call toured with HelloEphesus off the Gem on May 5th, and we would recommend them highly. We had a great air conditioned and comfortable van, both our guide and our driver were friendly and knowledgeable and accommodating, and we had a great day. We had decided in advance to skip the House of the Virgin Mary, and even with that, we were a little rushed at the end of the day because there is just so much to see. All fees and lunch were included, cost was $80/pp and that did include the Terrace Houses.

• 2 weeks later...

Our tour with Ephesus Deluxe on May 19th was amazing!

I agree with the other posters who said to tell the tour operator your time in port and let them make the best schedule for you possible. We were in Izmir from 8-5. Didn't actually get off the ship until 8:30 (darn kids). Saw Mary's house, Ephesus, Terrace House, Temple of Artemis and a carpet factory. Still got back to the ship before 4.

I was watching all those large groups around Ephesus with their headsets on and cannot tell you how great it was to be with a small group and a knowledgeable guide. Staying at a sight as long as we wanted or as short as we wanted.

Archived