Cab or Bus Vancouver to Airport

CruiseShelly

Hi, all. We have 12:40 flight from Vancouver home at end of Ryndam 6/26-7/4 Cruise. I've been researching about the Luggage Direct, HAL Bus, etc. so any advise on this 2010 service would be appreciated as we are starting to enter into Alaska Season.

Question on cab -- what is approximate fare, and must we pay in Canadian Dollars? If so, best place to get enough Canadian Dollars for cab and a soda at the airport?

We're thinking we'd either do the Luggage Direct, or WalkOff as early as we can with our luggage to get to airport. There's 5 of us, so I'm sure there will be votes for both ways.

Thanks in advance.

Last summer after an Alaskan cruise we took SkyTrain to the Vancouver airport. It's a light rail system that runs from downtown Vancouver to the airport and if memory serves me correctly cost about $5 per person. There are ticket machines at the station where you can use a credit card to pay your fare. I think the trains ran every 10-12 minutes. It was a quick and inexpensive way to get to the airport. However, if you have lots of luggage, you might not find it to be very convenient.

We learned this after our first Alaskan Cruise out of Vancouver. When you get off the ship the line for the taxi's is 100-200 people deep plus all their luggage. Plus it is very costly and it is a pretty far ride.

The second time we booked the transportation to the airport through Holland and it was a breeze.

The taxi ride from the airport to the pier in Vancouver is 30-40 minutes. We cruised to Alaska 3 times & ended up back in Vancouver each time. We were advised to purchase the transfers from HAL & Princess (we've cruised on both) to insure our prompt transport to & from the airport, and that's what we've done.

There are LOTS of folks waiting for taxi's upon debarkation at the pier. Less stress, IMHO, to just buy the transfers.

I would either take the HAL transportation or alternatively arrange private transportation online. Cost wouldn't be much different. Either way you pay in advance and skip the line ups. There are ATM's everywhere if you need some cash. :)

How do you go between the ship and SkyTrain? Trying to grab a cab from the ship sounds like a big hassle.

igraf

Last summer after an Alaskan cruise we took SkyTrain to the Vancouver airport. It's a light rail system that runs from downtown Vancouver to the airport and if memory serves me correctly cost about $5 per person. There are ticket machines at the station where you can use a credit card to pay your fare. I think the trains ran every 10-12 minutes. It was a quick and inexpensive way to get to the airport. However, if you have lots of luggage, you might not find it to be very convenient.

How do you go between the ship and SkyTrain? Trying to grab a cab from the ship sounds like a big hassle.

igraf

When you get off the ship you'll end up walking towards an underground parking lot. There is a sidewalk on the right side and just follow that along until you reach sunlight. When you get to street level cross the road to the left hand side. The Waterfront Skytrain is about is about half a block on the left. However you walk about a block in the underground parkade. About half of that parkade you can take a luggage trolley with you. Then it stops you from going further with the trolley, like a sign says don't take it past this point. We managed the Skytrain with 2 rolling suitcases, a backpack and a briefcase.

If you're headed to the airport, you want to take the Canada Line Skytrain - this is completely separate from the regular "Skytrain" platform at Waterfront Station - if you get on the wrong one, you'll be headed far, far away from your destination.

Simply exit the cruise ship terminal and keep to your left. There will be an above ground entrance that says "Skytrain" - DON'T take this! Instead, turn left before you get to the first intersection and walk approximately 1 block until you arrive at a large, grand-looking red brick station with white pillars - this is Waterfront Station, and you can't miss it.

Once inside, turn left - you should see signs right away for the Canada Line. Proceed down the stairs and purchase your tickets. After that, grab a train and you're on your way! Approximate time to the airport is 40 minutes or so - and beats the huge lineup at Canada Place for cabs!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canada_Line

There's 5 of us, so I'm sure there will be votes for both ways.

You would need to take 2 cabs if there are 5 of you. My family and I needed to take a cab to and from the Canada Place terminal last summer and we had to take two cabs each way, as they would only take 4 people as a maximum in one cab. You could try reserving a limousine ahead of time, they would take 5.

We used US Direct and they have a bus that takes you to the airport as part of the fee.

sylteach, can you fill me in on this. I think this is what we want, if Continental participates going Vancouver to Newark. On the Port of Vancouver's website it says Continental airlines only participates coming INTO Vancouver. What is the cost and what does it cover? What do we do before boarding to get this, if anything, or do wait to set it all up when we are aboard? Thanks in aedvance.

The last two times we disembarked in Vancouver (in 2006 and 2003) we easily took a shuttle bus form the cruise ship terminal to the airport. There was a bus waiting in the same area as the ship's buses, and the cost was something like $12 or $15 per person. We are arriving there again on May 15 and are planning to get to the airport the same way. If anyone knows whether or not this service is still operating, please post the information. We are assuming that it does still operate. An advantage to using this shuttle was that the bus was less crowded than the ship's buses and actually left before they did (there were frequest departures as I remember).

If I am going to and from the Vancouver airport I take a cab. However, I often fly into Seattle and take the Quick Shuttle up to Vancouver and back to Seattle. I stay over night in Seattle and fly our early the next morning.

Further on the Canada Line SkyTrain from the Waterfront Station to YVR Airport:

Here is a map of the Waterfront Station and Canada Place Port:

www.translink.ca/~/media/Documents/Schedules%20and%20Route%20Maps/stn_exch/CanadaLineWaterfront.ashx

This link will show the fares: Note the Airport is 2 zones, except after 6:30 pm, and weekends when it is only 1 zone.

www.translink.ca/en/Fares-and-Passes/Single-Fares.aspx

Archived