Cigar Policy

That clarifies it, thanks. I was confused because the guest conduct policy states "Generally, smoking is permitted outdoors on only one side of the ship; and smoking is permitted on all private ocean front balconies, including Loft Suite balconies on Oasis Class." I guess they should specify cigarette smoking. It wouldn't be RCL if there was no ambiguity!
The smoking policy also includes the statement:

Royal Caribbean International kindly asks all guests to please observe the non-smoking areas and to refrain from smoking pipes or cigars in any of the public areas.

(Which doesn't ask you to refrain from smoking pipes/cigars in private areas)

As I mentioned earlier, RCI staff seem to take this one as the one that prevails, even though the other one also seems quite clear.

As far as ambiguity goes, yes, they seem to be masters of it, and even if there isn't ambiguity in the policy it seems there is usually ambiguity in the enforcement.

I can only tell you what happened to me. I very occasionally smoke in public and I've been told several times that my cigar smells nice or been asked what brand it is. I've never been asked to put my cigar out or to move. Does this mean that everybody I've come across absolutely loved my cigar smoking? Probably not but then I've never inferred that.

It's not a habit by the way, it's a hobby. I choose when and how often I want to smoke cigars. I had oral surgery and didn't have a cigar for 2 months. Cigarette smokers definitely do not have the ability to put them down for 2 months.

Like I said, I will take the smell of cigars over cigarettes anyday...they don't always smell good, but they are also less frequent and you don't have a cigar in your face everytime you turn around.

You take an hour to smoke a cigar and you might only do 1 a day, you take 10 minutes to smoke a cigarette and you smoke a pack a day...

Royal Caribbean International kindly asks all guests to please observe the non-smoking areas and to refrain from smoking pipes or cigars in any of the public areas.

I will remember that if I'm ever questioned for smoking on a balcony. As my as my personal cigar policy goes, I would feel uncomfortable smoking on the balcony if there were other people about (like sunset time). And if somebody were to ask me to stop smoking a cigar, I would gladly do it. Lord knows there are plenty of other things to do on a cruise ship.

As I mentioned earlier, RCI staff seem to take this one as the one that prevails, even though the other one also seems quite clear.

As far as ambiguity goes, yes, they seem to be masters of it, and even if there isn't ambiguity in the policy it seems there is usually ambiguity in the enforcement.

Yeah. I wish they would be more clear on things. I certainly thought that cigars were off-limits except in the cigar lounge, but maybe not. :confused: The above doesn't say you CAN smoke them on your balcony, but I could see how it would lead someone to believe the restriction on cigars only applied to public areas.

Really, I wish they would eliminate smoking from balconies altogether. And if not that, at least make the balconies follow the same pattern as the outdoor smoking on the rest of the ship; if you want to smoke on your balcony, book on the smoking side of the ship. But the latter might confuse people who book not knowing what the details of the smoking policy are.

Yeah. I wish they would be more clear on things. I certainly thought that cigars were off-limits except in the cigar lounge, but maybe not. :confused: The above doesn't say you CAN smoke them on your balcony, but I could see how it would lead someone to believe the restriction on cigars only applied to public areas.

Really, I wish they would eliminate smoking from balconies altogether. And if not that, at least make the balconies follow the same pattern as the outdoor smoking on the rest of the ship; if you want to smoke on your balcony, book on the smoking side of the ship. But the latter might confuse people who book not knowing what the details of the smoking policy are.

On our last cruise my wife and I decided we'd rather have smokers on the balcony next to us than loud talkers.

I love cigars! Smoke em every day! I am fortunate to be blessed with a wife that likes the smell of a fine cigar too ...

One thing I am looking forward to on my upcoming Explorer trip is to smoke my stogies in the Connoseur's Room onboard.

As a cigar smoker, I think the ratio of random people coming up to me is about 80% in favor and commenting on the great smell eminating from the cigar.....

....aaagh! A fine cigar .... might light my Perdomo right now.

as Mark Twain once said .." If there are no cigars in heaven, then I shall not go"

One thing I am looking forward to on my upcoming Explorer trip is to smoke my stogies in the Connoseur's Room onboard. i

....aaagh! A fine cigar .... might light my Perdomo right now.

I normally don't get a balcony so my cigar 'habit' is relegated to the Connoseur's club.

This thread inspired me to light up a Perdomo ESV '91 this afternoon. Nick Perdomo was a friend and co-worker in the early 90s until he quit to make cigars full time.

Not surprised that they said that as I've learned that CS employees tend to be somewhat clueless and/or refuse to make waves. However, as anyone who knows me will verify, I do not take no for an answer when I know that I am right and can prove it (in this case a print-out of the smoking policy from their website). Actually, I'm very soft-spoken and reasonable but will go to the mat on a principle.

I actually printed that part off and have it ready to take with us on our next cruise. Just in case......:D Don`t know if it will help though.....

I've been a non-smoker for 15 months now :) But I remember all the nasty looks I would get when i was 25 yards away from the front door of a building. People would realy get upset on me IVADING their air space. Air Space! PLEASE get over it. Should there be sections on a ship if you wear perfume and colognes? Because some people wear way to MUCH and I have a hard time breathing! If it bothers you go inside, ask them to stop, dail with it. You people complaining amaze me on the way you think. But what do I know, I'm a nobody ;)

I am the original poster. I do not know if it was the area, the Mediterranean, but the policy was smoking was allowed on the balconies. Any smoking. I spoke to guest relations 3 times. The night purser couldn't believe it himself and checked. But even in non-smoking rooms, cigar and pipe smoking was allowed on the balconies.

I am the original poster. I do not know if it was the area, the Mediterranean, but the policy was smoking was allowed on the balconies. Any smoking. I spoke to guest relations 3 times. The night purser couldn't believe it himself and checked. But even in non-smoking rooms, cigar and pipe smoking was allowed on the balconies.

Again, on RCI all rooms are non-smoking (inside the room)!

With all the smoking bands across the nation now they want all of outdoors off limits too.

The occasional "wiff" of cigar smoke is not the same as being in a small bar area trapped with it (heaven forbid you have to walk out) Since when does the costitution promise the right not to be offended? This guy is probably the one with too much old spice on going to dinner. I can promise I will smoke my cigars in any and all places I am still able to.

With all the smoking bands across the nation now they want all of outdoors off limits too.

The occasional "wiff" of cigar smoke is not the same as being in a small bar area trapped with it (heaven forbid you have to walk out) Since when does the costitution promise the right not to be offended? This guy is probably the one with too much old spice on going to dinner. I can promise I will smoke my cigars in any and all places I am still able to.

Sorry, buddy, but it's about more than just being "offended" and it's about more than an occasional wiff. You seem to have a hard time comprehending the rights of anyone other than yourself. People shouldn't have to be subjected to tobacco smoke in order to enjoy a public place. I don't think people should have to be subjected to someone who has bathed in Old Spice, either. These are not just matters of convenience or personal preference, though. Some people have adverse reactions to tobacco smoke (and to the chemicals in perfumes).

Enjoy your self-centered existence, but I hope smoking restrictions continue to tighten. I don't mind people exercising their supposed "right" to smoke, as long as I don't have to be exposed to it.

like cedric the entertainer says... pretty soon you'll have to leave earth to smoke. I'm not even a smoker and its getting rediculous. People should be allowed to smoke on their PRIVATE balcony. That's probably part of the reason they paid extra for one. If you don't like it go inside till their done. I don't see what the big issue is.

I know, I know... "I shouldn't have to go inside". Well then don't. They paid just as much as you did and should be able to enjoy their balcony however they seem fit as long as it is within the parameters set by the cruise line... and from what I'm reading it seems like it's not quite clear.

My God, now I'm craving a cigar!! Might have to go fire one up and waste an hour of my day puffing away and enjoying life. Thanks for the post!

Cigars last an hour? That is the only thing I have to add to this thread. I am one of those anti-smoking ****s as some would refer to. I've worked on political campaigns to ban smoking in public areas here in Ohio. However, that said, I've live peacefully next to smokers in the 3 balcony cabins I've had because none of them chained smoked on their balconies. If it bothered me I would go inside for 5 minutes and come back out later, but an hour, yikes!

I know it wouldn't always work but how about talking to the person smoking and see if you can work a schedule so you wouldn't have been bothered by it. I am going to be cruising with a friend who is a smoker and if he bothers the cabin next to him then he will try and work a schedule and sometimes go on a deck to smoke instead.

[quote name='troychaps']People should be allowed to smoke on their PRIVATE balcony.[/quote]

Typing PRIVATE in all caps doesn't actually make the balcony a private space. Like it or not, your balcony is immediately surrounded by other balconies, so what you do there affects others. It is not as "private" as you want to believe. Sure, I'm not allowed to go sit on my neighbors balcony, without being invited. I'm also not allowed to go sit at my neighbors dinner table without being invited. People need to be sensitive about how their behavior affects others. (And yes, I mean all people; I don't think this is unique to the issue of smoking.) And if people can't be considerate enough to do so on their own, the rules should change to tell them they have to.

[quote name='Paul65']Typing PRIVATE in all caps doesn't actually make the balcony a private space. Like it or not, your balcony is immediately surrounded by other balconies, so what you do there affects others. It is not as "private" as you want to believe. Sure, I'm not allowed to go sit on my neighbors balcony, without being invited. I'm also not allowed to go sit at my neighbors dinner table without being invited. People need to be sensitive about how their behavior affects others. (And yes, I mean all people; I don't think this is unique to the issue of smoking.) And if people can't be considerate enough to do so on their own, the rules should change to tell them they have to.[/quote]Private, in the case of balconies, means non-public, not totally isolated from others. Sort of like your front yard.

[quote name='BillOh']Cigars last an hour?

If it bothered me I would go inside for 5 minutes and come back out later, but an hour, yikes![/quote]

The difference between a cigar smoker is that he'll be on the balcony for one hour per day or every other day. You'll see a cigarette smoker sucking on a butt for 5 minutes 5-10 times a day. Sunrise, sunset, anything to get a fix.

[quote name='Paul65']Typing PRIVATE in all caps doesn't actually make the balcony a private space. Like it or not, your balcony is immediately surrounded by other balconies, so what you do there affects others. It is not as "private" as you want to believe. [/quote]

Exactly, which is why a balcony near mine shouldn't expect 'privacy' from smokers. I'm considerate of others but I don't see why I can't enjoy a cigar on the balcony for 30 minutes while my wife is getting ready for dinner.

[quote name='krisko']Exactly, which is why a balcony near mine shouldn't expect 'privacy' from smokers. I'm considerate of others but I don't see why I can't enjoy a cigar on the balcony for 30 minutes while my wife is getting ready for dinner.[/quote]

If you don't care what affect your cigar has on others around you, then you are not considerate of others.

[quote name='Paul65']If you don't care what affect your cigar has on others around you, then you are not considerate of others.[/quote]

If someone went through the trouble to ask me to stop, I certainly would. And I probably would not light a cigar if there were others enjoying the balcony. On the other hand, I would not automatically put out a cigar if I'm out there on the balcony first and then others step onto their balcony. If that makes me inconsiderate, I'm willing to accept that label. There are plenty of times when I think people have been inconsiderate to me but I just go about my day and not worry about it.

The few times I've been on a balcony, I've noticed a LOT of cigarette smokers. Being allowed to smoke very close to your stateroom is obviously a reason why smokers get balcony rooms. If RCI was to ban smoking and enforce it, I'm sure it would affect their bottom line.

[quote name='ryano']Ok Im curious............As a ex smoker of 25 years (I quit last June), why are cigarettes allowed but cigars are prohibited? :confused:

After being smoke free for almost a year, I find cigarette smoke almost unbearable but I still enjoy the smell of a fine cigar or pipe once in a while.

I dont understand the logic behind this rule. I guess the majority of non smokers feel differently than I do and do not mind the cigarette smoke as much as cigar smoke?

Either way, even though I quit cigarettes and will never smoke another one again, I plan on enjoying a fine cigar and a DOD while on the Monarch.

I hope I can find SOMEWHERE where this is accepted and not prohibited.[/quote]

THANK YOU times a zillion :) ! I don't smoke. Never did and Never will. However that said...I have lived with cigarette smokers the stench is awful and it stays in everything! Clothes ,furniture...including and not limited to the persons skin( most smokers don't even realize how bad they smell)! A good cigar,which my husband smokes, does not stink out the house (yes it creates a smell and it lingers in the air a while) it does not stay in the bedding and sofa and cutains and clothes and skin. It will disapate. For some reason it also does not irratate my asthma as a cigarrette will.
I enjoy the smell of a nice cigar (more so when it is a sweet one :D) and I don't mind pipe smoke either. They don't seem to "sting" my sinuses like cigarette smoke does.

[quote name='toxicfairy']THANK YOU times a zillion :) ! I don't smoke. Never did and Never will. However that said...I have lived with cigarette smokers the stench is awful and it stays in everything! Clothes ,furniture...including and not limited to the persons skin( most smokers don't even realize how bad they smell)! A good cigar,which my husband smokes, does not stink out the house (yes it creates a smell and it lingers in the air a while) it does not stay in the bedding and sofa and cutains and clothes and skin. It will disapate. For some reason it also does not irratate my asthma as a cigarrette will.
I enjoy the smell of a nice cigar (more so when it is a sweet one :D) and I don't mind pipe smoke either. They don't seem to "sting" my sinuses like cigarette smoke does.[/QUOTE]

I don't agree. I can tell if my husband has been in the car and has been smoking a cigar or when he comes into the house and has smoked one of those nasty things. He smokes the expensive ones so do not say that it is the cheap ones that smell.

Archived