Cigar Policy

[quote name='bplazo']I don't agree. I can tell if my husband has been in the car and has been smoking a cigar or when he comes into the house and has smoked one of those nasty things. He smokes the expensive ones so do not say that it is the cheap ones that smell.[/quote]

Apparantly different people like different things. Some people may even be offended by the smell of fresh air... who knows ?

[quote name='Paul65']If you don't care what affect your cigar has on others around you, then you are not considerate of others.[/quote]Consideration is a two-way street. RCI, by their policies, has determined what constitutes being a considerate smoker on their ships. If being around a person doing an allowed activity, in an allowed location, bothers you, maybe you should ask the smoker when they plan to smoke so you can do other things during that time.

[quote name='Paul65']It's not hard to understand. The smoking policy draws a distinction for pipe and cigar smoking and states that they are allowed only in the Cigar Lounge.[/quote]

The rule is about public areas of the ship, not the balcony.... I agree it is intentionally vague so that you can read the RULE the way you want to and someone else can read the RULE and interpret it the way they want to. This is called double speak. This way they offend the fewest number of people. As far as the actual real world rule, that depends completely on the management of each ship.

People who can only see the world in black or white, are a menace to peaceful coexistence.

jc

Well put, I'm quoting your sig line for emphasis in the battle to save smokers from themselves.

[quote name='xpcdoojk'][SIZE=3][COLOR=red]"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." [/COLOR][/SIZE]

[SIZE=3][COLOR=red]C. S. Lewis[/COLOR][/SIZE][/quote]

[quote name='Paul65']They should have responded to your complaints, as cigars are, indeed, supposed to be restricted to the cigar lounge only.[/QUOTE]

Absolutely correct . Every one needs to read RCCL policies on their web site when it comes to cigar & pipe smokers .

I even dislike cigarett smoke as it is very bad for others health breathing in those toxic fumes. Here in Calif & also other states the restrictions on smoking have gotten a lot stricter & that is good for the vast majority of the non smokers. The poisons in cigaretts will kill & I wish that our laws would forbid the manufacturer of those coffin nails .JMVHO

I'm not so sure what the rules are, myself, after reading this thread, though. On our recent Voyager cruise, it was printed every day in the Cruise Compass that "Cigar/pipe smoking is permitted only in the Cigar Lounge/Connoisseurs Club." But...It was printed directly under the listing of bars/lounges that showed their opening hours and whether or not smoking was permitted. So, one could interpret the statement about cigars and pipes as only being related to the public areas. You could even go so far as to say it was only related to the bars & lounges and did not apply to other, outdoor public areas. I tended to look at it literally as saying that the cigar lounge was the only place to smoke a cigar.

This is so confusing.

I think what I will do once I get on board is go straight to the Pursers desk or whatever RC calls it and ask WHERE I can smoke a cigar so I get it straight from the "horses mouth".

To the best of my knowledge and from everything I have read, Monarch doesnt have a "cigar lounge" and I dont want to be intruding on others "air space"

If I encounter a staff member that has a problem with it, I will then lead them right back to the person at the Pursers desk that told me where I could smoke one.

Seems simple enough to me.

I enjoy a good cigar. I always get a balcony but I would never
consider smoking a cigar, or anything, on my balcony. A cigar produces
a lot of smoke and it is clearly offensive to many. I am not able to create any type of rationalization in my mind to make me think this would be ok.
I am not able to convince myself that if somebody wants me to stop doing something that is offensive to many it is up to them to have to
ask me to stop. I could never feel it is right to make somebody confront
me, even in the most polite way, to stop my annoying behavior.

I don't care if it is allowed by policy or not to smoke on your balcony. It is extremely rude. Yes people do many rude things they are allowed to.
Talk loudly, wear lots of perfume or whatever other analogy you want to make but that is a different conversation for a different thread.

One of the things I love about the Voyager/Freedom class ships is the
cigar lounge. It is a beautiful place to enjoy a cigar. There are so few places that you can enjoy a cigar indoors. As much as I like a cigar outside on a nice day it is a real treat to be able to smoke a cigar inside.
I always wondered why there is such a poor selection of over priced cigars for sale in the Connoisseurs Club. Just like they have duty free liquor events in the promenade I think they should have a smoking social
in the Connoisseurs Club with some kind of cigar sales event. This lounge is frequently empty and I fear RCI will convert it to something else if people are not using it.

I got a balcony cabin specifically because I can smoke cigarettes on it. I spend alot of time while on vacation enjoying alcoholic beverages while smoking on the balcony.

While I certainly dislike offending anyone, RCCI's policy (about cigarettes at least) is pretty clear. If anyone approached me I would probably tell them they should have booked with one of the lines that does not allow balcony smoking.

I make a point to respect all smoking rules (only smoke in designated areas and so forth) wherever I travel. It's annoying though that many non smokers refuse to respect the areas where smokers ARE allowed to smoke. (sorry, I realize this is a thread about cigars not cigarettes and I'm straying off topic abit)

I think it's reasonable to assume that some people choose RCCI balcony cabins specifically because smoking on the balcony is permitted ... if you get a heavy smoker in the cabin next to you that's kinda the risk you take when booking on a "smoking permitted on balcony" cruise line.

Put me in the category as the poster above as a cruiser who books a balcony so that I can smoke cigars at my leisure. If it is allowed then great! If others don't care for it then i don't give a rat's rear end. Sorry to be so blunt but where else can we go....if t is allowed then I will enjoy a stogie or two in the quiet privacy of the balcony.

[quote name='krisko']Well put, I'm quoting your sig line for emphasis in the battle to save smokers from themselves.[/quote]

Just remember that bit of genius wit was penned by the late great C. S. Lewis, and not little ole me. Can you imagine any current authors/philosophers being remembered 70 years in the future. I can't. It is so true though. We are living it everyday, unfortunately, from Mayor Bloomberg who is trying to ban salt, to those in high elected federal offices who want to regulate every aspect of life.

jc

My wife and I had a recent cruise on Rhapsody; normally we keep our cash for sightseeing and book an inside cabin.

The cruise having several sea days and a voyage through the New Zealand Sounds we splurged on a balcony. A complete waste of time as 2 cabins forward of us was a cigar or cigarillo smoker who seemed to light up every time we went out on the balcony to relax. The result was we hardly went outside.

You could smell the smoke inside our cabin let alone on the balcony.

Won't stop me travelling RCL again if the itinerary suits, but only in an inside or ocean view.

If RCL must allow cigar/cigarillo smoking on their balconies why can't it be on either port side or starboard side only, or front to middle on each side.

my son and i enjoy a cigar every night in the cigar clubs. sometimes they are crowded sometimes not. we always bring our own due to poor selection and high prices.

I smoke cigars occasionally (not cigarettes) and I recognize the need to find an ideal place to do so. Cigars tend to create a LOT more smoke than cigarettes. They are also considered more noxious because of this and because most people are not used to the smell like they are with cigarettes.

I like the idea of a block of rooms (balconies, suites) with smoking privledges. That way, anyone who wants to smoke can do so without wading through complaints and the other people who detest the smell can get a cabin as far away from that area as they'd like.

One more question, is a hooka permitted onboard? For tobacco smoking, I feel the need to clarify.

[COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana]We understand and respect those who enjoy a cigar.... and support that there should be somewhere on the ship for those people to enjoy.... that said.... dw has a terrific physical reaction to the smoke.... leaving her "out of commission" if inhaled for at least 24 hours. After reading this or a similar thread on CC I wrote to RCCL Customer service via e-mail and received a very specific response that there is [B][U][FONT=Verdana]no[/FONT][/U][/B] cigar smoking allowed on balconies. I printed and carry a copy on every cruise. If we have a problem we call Guest Services and if there is any issue of "what" the policy is we just show the e-mail. That is what we use if there is a need.... so that there is no "problem" of interpretation. [/FONT][/COLOR]

Archived