dining etiquette

granny red

as this will present you as a well mannered and sophisticated individual

I would much prefer people to present themselves to me as who they truly are. Many are not well mannered or sophisticated - but are still worth meeting and knowing. Remember - true character is what you are in the dark!! :)

Barry

Yes--or four o'clock in the morning!:)

We personally enjoy a larger table for dinner. On the whole you meet some lovely and interesting people. We still keep in touch with those we shared with over 2 years ago. We had such a good time and lots of laughs with couples we had only just met.

We also have no problem with someone sharing our table in the buffet and if we can't find a seat ourselves will ask if its ok to sit with them. Mostly people are willing.

Big tables are fun. If however you find that you're incompatible with your table mates then let your maître d’ know and they will sort it out.

We had a situation like this on our voyage (where one couple didn't gel with the other two) and we spoke with the maître d’ who found the other couple a nice table for two - which made everyone happier.

I really do think they (the restaurant staff) just want everyone to be happy so they'll do whatever they can to make everyone comfortable. And they do it graciously as well, so no one feels awkward.

In terms of sitting in particular seats we found that most nights everyone sat in the same seat, however if your going to turn up for dinner at 8:30 every night then I feel you should happily accept whatever seats are left at the table.

We still keep in touch with those we shared with over 2 years ago.

And we still keep in touch with people we've met who have been sitting at other smaller tables near our small table. One particular couple we're in touch with we've been in touch with for over 15 years! :)

Well the person who made the original remark concerning peoples race on a recent cruise certainly stirred up a nasty situation. Of course not every one will react as did Lady Evans, but I still think some subjects are best left undiscussed.

One persons "meat "(conversational remark) can be anothers persons "poison"

Even simple remarks can result in nasty confrontation. Believe me that has been the case on a roll call at present running on the Cunard page.All that was said was that "Cunard is far more formal than say Carnival, and does not have congas around the deck or games at the pool" The reaction was to say the least over the top

I can't speak for everyone or even anyone save myself. (Unlike some recent omnipresent poster on these venerable Cunard boards who seems to speak for entire nations.) But in the South a gentlemen (born here) still rises when a lady arrives at the dinner table and when she departs, trailing clouds of glory.

If every civility is ignored by some louts (whether on a Cunard ship or not) and everyone says, "Oh, it's outmoded," and leaves it at that and gives in meekly, then we shall all be like pigs in the sty. Not to say that this isn't quite enjoyable for the hogs.

Lord Kay of Shandon.

So do I :)

(Although I suspect that standing could be considered as being sexist!)

I would never consider standing for a lady a sexist act, however, I am sure there are many that would. It is too bad because it is one of those little niceties afforded the lady, simply becasue she is female. I must add though, I can't remember the last time a gentleman stood when I arrived, and that includes in the dining rooms on the QM2. I will make sure that I am a tablemate of yours next time, Malcomb.:)

Are there any particular rules for a single passenger? I have never cruised solo and am wondering what I should do when I arrive at my table for 8 and am the first one there. I'll be missing the first night's dinner and I don't want to sit in anyone else's seat the second night, stepping on toes before I even meet my tablemates! Any advice? :confused:

Are there any particular rules for a single passenger? I have never cruised solo and am wondering what I should do when I arrive at my table for 8 and am the first one there. I'll be missing the first night's dinner and I don't want to sit in anyone else's seat the second night, stepping on toes before I even meet my tablemates! Any advice? :confused:

On most tables it won't cause a problem, I have been on one where one lady was livid that someone had sat in her seat but most people sit in different seats each night in order to be able to talk to everybody. How do you know you will miss the first night?

On most tables it won't cause a problem, I have been on one where one lady was livid that someone had sat in her seat but most people sit in different seats each night in order to be able to talk to everybody. How do you know you will miss the first night?

Going to King's Court the first night if the ship doesn't leave right at 5-5:15pm. I don't want to miss sailing by the Statue, the bridge and the NYC lights and I won't show up late to dinner (I consider it rude). Don't know if I'll ever get back to NYC (too many other places to see).

Going to King's Court the first night if the ship doesn't leave right at 5-5:15pm. I don't want to miss sailing by the Statue, the bridge and the NYC lights and I won't show up late to dinner (I consider it rude). Don't know if I'll ever get back to NYC (too many other places to see).

If you are ready for Dinner you will have plenty of time to see the sights and still make the dinner, even if you are 10 minutes late, that would be ok. Much better than the buffet in King's Court.

If you are ready for Dinner you will have plenty of time to see the sights and still make the dinner, even if you are 10 minutes late, that would be ok. Much better than the buffet in King's Court.

From what other people are telling me, the ship doesn't leave on schedule very often. Even if it leaves at 5:30pm, I would be arriving too late for early dining.

From what other people are telling me, the ship doesn't leave on schedule very often. Even if it leaves at 5:30pm, I would be arriving too late for early dining.

The choice is yours but I would try as hard as possible to make dinner and hope for an on time departure. The Statue of Liberty is a wonderful sight but the bridge is just a bridge. IMHO

Should gentlemen still rise as ladies arrive at and depart from the table?

I do - but is this practice outmoded?

D

Hi sunshinesdad. In my opinion, women can ease the seeming controversial response upon arriving or departing the dining table by simply saying Please Gentlemen, remain seated or words to that effect. I think that is a fitting response as many men make a polite gesture that they are about to stand, and those that don't are removed from any possible stigma.:)

However, out of respect and practicality, my personal custom is to stand when a person of advanced years (male or female) joins or leaves the table.

Regards,

Salacia

The choice is yours but I would try as hard as possible to make dinner and hope for an on time departure. The Statue of Liberty is a wonderful sight but the bridge is just a bridge. IMHO

I second the captain's recommendation. The bridge is just a bridge and nothing spectacular. With regards to the Statue of Liberty I don't know if it is different leaving NYC, but entering NYC the boat doesn't pass as close to the statue as you might think. The morning we entered the harbour it was pretty far away and we had to zoom the camera all the way to get any great detail.

Unless this is your one and only opportunity to see the statue in person then I would go to the first nights dinner and meet your table companions. The first night is always a 'get to know you' affair and if you miss that you'll be at a bit of a disadvantage (socially) the second night.

But from what I've read on this thread it seems the boat will pass the statue well before dinner so you don't need to worry.

. With regards to the Statue of Liberty I don't know if it is different leaving NYC, but entering NYC the boat doesn't pass as close to the statue as you might think. The morning we entered the harbour it was pretty far away and we had to zoom the camera all the way to get any great detail.

Margatebne, that is true. QM2 does not approach the Statue of Liberty in close proximity on either arrival or departure. Anyone wishing to get a good view of the Statue of Liberty at no cost and with limited time, take the Staten Island Ferry. Depending on the currents, the ferry can get pretty close. You will also have a great view of the Manhattan skyline and the NY Harbor.

Schedules for the ferry can be found here: http://www.siferry.com/

There are several interesting things to see and do on Staten Island, depending on how much time you have to spend there. But if time is limited, you can just turn around and get back on the next ferry to Manhattan.

BTW, you will see the QM2 docked just across the River beconing you as you exit the Ferry. If you are advernturous and/or on a budget, the subway just outside the ferry terminal will take you to Brooklyn (one stop) and from there a short taxi ride or a long walk to the Red Hook terminal.

Salacia

Margatebne, that is true. QM2 does not approach the Statue of Liberty in close proximity on either arrival or departure. Anyone wishing to get a good view of the Statue of Liberty at no cost and with limited time, take the Staten Island Ferry. Depending on the currents, the ferry can get pretty close. You will also have a great view of the Manhattan skyline and the NY Harbor.

Yeah we did the ferry and got great shots of the statue. I don't understand why there is no charge for the ferry? It's a great way to see Manhattan island and New Jersey as well.

There are several interesting things to see and do on Staten Island, depending on how much time you have to spend there. But if time is limited, you can just turn around and get back on the next ferry to Manhattan.

Yes, you should plan your trip to Staten Island, as we didn't and we ended up just walking around a few blocks and then having a disappointing hot dog.

BTW, why is the food in NYC so universally poor? We ate at multiple places and were usually disappointed. There were only two restaurants we liked - The Four Seasons & Red Lobster.

Archived