dining etiquette

granny red

Yeah we did the ferry and got great shots of the statue. I don't understand why there is no charge for the ferry? It's a great way to see Manhattan island and New Jersey as well.

Yes, you should plan your trip to Staten Island, as we didn't and we ended up just walking around a few blocks and then having a disappointing hot dog.

BTW, why is the food in NYC so universally poor? We ate at multiple places and were usually disappointed. There were only two restaurants we liked - The Four Seasons & Red Lobster.

Oy Martgatebne, asking why the SI Ferry is free is a landmine issue to New Yorkers. I'll avoid stepping on it, if you don't mind (but it is a good question.)

Hot dogs in NYC...well, they vary. Lots of people love hot dogs from the carts that are ubiquitous thoughout NYC. Know locally as "dirty water hot dogs", I hope that visitors don't think eating from a street cart is a necessary part of the New York experience.

As to your question "why is the food in NYC so universally poor"?, I'm sorry but I can't answer that question. There are hundreds of thousands of restaurants in NYC (number of restaurants in each of the five boroughs that comprise NYC). My experience is limited to no more than 750-1000 NYC restaurants before I had the opportunity and the time to cook at home. Health and economy were also motivating factors. Nevertheless, it wasn't an easy choice as my favourite restaurants prepared such lovely meals...Perhaps you might consider yourself lucky that you did not find several favourite restaurants in Manhattan. Take it from me, it ain't easy to forget the good ones :)

Just my personal opinion: instead of a hot dog, go to a pizza place and order one slice, plain.;)

Cheers,

Salacia

Equals? Equals!!??:eek:

19 years of brainwashing by the staff taught me that they were superior. By a considerable margin.

Saint Martin

When I asked my wife if she wanted equality she relied "No thank you, I am not going down to your level!" :D

We are traveling in Britannia Club on Queen Elizabeth and have requested a table for two. Since there is single seating between 7PM & 9PM, if this request is not accommodated and we are seated at a larger table, is it acceptable arrive for dinner separately or should everyone try to arrive at the same time.

We are traveling in Britannia Club on Queen Elizabeth and have requested a table for two. Since there is single seating between 7PM & 9PM, if this request is not accommodated and we are seated at a larger table, is it acceptable arrive for dinner separately or should everyone try to arrive at the same time.

Hi Jebrai I don't know how it works on QE, but from my limited experience of dining in Britannia Club on QM2 at table for six, we all arrived at different times. There was no prior discussion about what time each of us would arrive for dinner. I understand that some tablemates like to coordinate arrival times, but happily no one at my table did that...we were all very flexible, and to this day, I can't figure out how dinner for six arriving at different times worked so well.

Truly a mystery, and a pleasant memory. I wish the same for you.

Regards,

Salacia

We always do tables for 2. In watching larger tables, we frequently noticed folks arriving at different times. It never caused any issues. We could frequently "overhear" folks talking about their day's activities.

But in the South a gentlemen (born here) still rises when a lady arrives at the dinner table and when she departs, trailing clouds of glory.

I have so got to cruise with you! If you think I could depart from the dinner table after 2 hours of lovely food and wine, still trailing clouds of glory, I'm your's!:)

I am just off the QM2 in the Britannia Club we ended up with a table for 8 and had the most incredible time. After the first night we all agreed to meet around 7 ish and it worked out perfect. We usually arrived within 15 minutes of each other and all finished at the same time. I would do it again in a heartbeat. But at some of the other tables they often came in at different times and it worked well for them also. I am so sold on the Club now that I will book that again next time.

BTW, why is the food in NYC so universally poor? We ate at multiple places and were usually disappointed. There were only two restaurants we liked - The Four Seasons & Red Lobster.

You have to be kidding. Your response has to be a joke. You can't be that ignorant. Red Lobster as one of the 2 good restaurants in NYC??? Didn't you try Denny's?

DON

Red Lobster may equal fine dining in Australia but it is a chain in USA and whilst the food is acceptable there are a lot of restaurants that are much better. I am not sure if the poster was kidding or maybe the Brisbane Restaurants are poor, it remains a mystery to me.

My husband and I will be sharing a table for 8 people on our next cruise in the Britannia restaurant. If there is one couple already seated when we arrive,assuming they are male and female, should my husband sit next to the female and should we remain in the same seats till our cruise is over?

On a 21 day Panama cruise, out table mates all agreed to "ratchet" over one seat every night so that everone at the table would get a different view - we were lucky enough to have a table in the center of the room so there was plenty to see!. It worked out very well and actually relaxed the atmosphere abit.

You have to be kidding. Your response has to be a joke. You can't be that ignorant. Red Lobster as one of the 2 good restaurants in NYC??? Didn't you try Denny's?

DON

Actually, I was being honest. We ate at Le Bernardin and the Four Seasons. We loved the Four Seasons but disliked Le Bernardin. The food in NYC was (apart from the Four Seasons) so universally bland and disgusting that the only other restaurant we liked was Red Lobster.

Paris and London, which we had visited previously, are superior to NYC when it comes to food.

Red Lobster may equal fine dining in Australia

No it doesn't.

From my very recent past experience of dining in London, Paris & New York City, I can honestly say that Australian fine-dining, and middle-of-the-road establishments are equal to, or better than, their equivalents in London & Paris. And streets ahead of New York.

but it (Red Lobster) is a chain in USA
Still, we enjoyed it more than Le Bernardin.

and whilst the food is acceptable there are a lot of restaurants that are much better.

Well we ate out every night and we only found one - the Four Seasons. We must have been terribly unlucky in our dining choices or more likely (in my opinion) Europe & Australia simply have better food.

I am not sure if the poster was kidding or maybe the Brisbane Restaurants are poor, it remains a mystery to me.

I wasn't kidding. We were surprised at how awful the NYC food scene is. Obviously we were expecting to be impressed (it being NYC and everything) but unfortunately we were disappointed every night - except on two occasions.

As a native New Yorker, I too can recommend the Four Seasons---to anyone on an expen$e account looking for a good place for a business lunch.:D

I have eaten in Four Seasons, and in fact stayed there in the past when I had said Expense Account and it was very nice and very expensive. I see that the rack room rate is only $855 plus tax, a New York bargain. :eek:

I have eaten in Four Seasons, and in fact stayed there in the past when I had said Expense Account and it was very nice and very expensive. I see that the rack room rate is only $855 plus tax, a New York bargain. :eek:

You gotta be kiddin'...A New York bargain? I call it highway robbery (or words to that effect).:eek:

Archived